(MBBO#V Class II) Interstellar Overdrive

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I believe I'm going to have to build a subframe for the rear wheels to pivot in. Going to have to mod the frame itself too. Stretching to rear drops to reach near the center of the subframe, but it has to clear the middle wheels axle too, so I'm raising the frame a bit too. I think it'll be ok because the rat trap fork (not shown) is actually for a 26" frame...
freight train4.jpg

Better get to welding huh'? :crazy:

Carl.

Last edited:
Looks good, I like the angular lines.:cool2:

I do see an issue that will need to be addressed though. The pivoting wheel will affect the chain tension. You could compensate with a spring loaded tensioner but that will not allow you to use a coaster brake (I'm not sure what you had planned for brakes). For every action there is a reaction! Keep it up, I want to see this work!

Looks good, I like the angular lines.:cool2:

I do see an issue that will need to be addressed though. The pivoting wheel will affect the chain tension. You could compensate with a spring loaded tensioner but that will not allow you to use a coaster brake (I'm not sure what you had planned for brakes). For every action there is a reaction! Keep it up, I want to see this work!
No Coaster...
The big white bike @SwissGuy posted has dual internal shift. How cool is that? I'm saving that for down the road... But, I want to put a bridge in where convenient on the subframe to mount rim brakes for the middle wheel, and maybe both wheels. I'm thinking the sissy can be mounted at the pivot too. It's only on virtual paper right now, I gotta scare up some materials.
freight train4B.jpg

I do have two sets of these mags...

Carl.

Very keen idea. All those bikes are mind blowing and complex. Hopefully it goes as planned.
Thanks! They're all built from scratch, from what I can tell. Well wait the green one wasn't but it's rear wheel isn't driven either. I'm spinning my wheels trying to use what I have... plus I've always liked the Apollo frame. I think a little playing in paint will save me some time.

Carl.

sent from a crowded phonebooth...

How goes the engineering Carl?
It's all about cash and time, of which I have neither. I am going to build this one way or another. I look at it in the garage with the 26" wheel and think it's still pretty cool like that, but the dually drive has to be built. My son and I have remodeling jobs piling up on us, mostly return customers so it's all good. But I want to work on this one.

Carl.

sent from a crowded phonebooth...

e808c483845f7d2669c3342308ed6ff8.jpg

Got bored looking at it hanging in the rafters so I put a 20" on back and a 24" and a different fork on front. I think I'll save the rattrap springer for a different build. Really just noodling around, it's easier to hang up with two wheels...

Carl.

sent from a banana phone...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back