(MBBO#V Class II) Interstellar Overdrive

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I certainly wasn't trying to discourage your idea. Actually I'm looking forward to seeing it happen! This was discussed at length in the past (maybe someone can remember the thread), but I don't recall if or how it worked in the end.

I still maintain that turning will very much be an issue, but problem solving is what makes this stuff fun to me. Subscribed!:thumbsup:

Hmm, have you tried this before?
There may have been a discussion I missed.

Carl.
I think deorman was thinking of the hand lever coaster brake thread.

This is an interesting concept, I've thought about doing three rear wheels inline or three trike rear ends. Those ideas are utter ridiculousness, but I'm looking forward to see how this turns out.

There has GOT to be a reason Google images shows no bicycles with inline rear wheels. I can find motorcycles and minibikes but no bicycles... Well there is this one...
bike25.jpg

The only relevant thing here is the weight on the center wheel.

Carl

I certainly wasn't trying to discourage your idea. Actually I'm looking forward to seeing it happen! This was discussed at length in the past (maybe someone can remember the thread), but I don't recall if or how it worked in the end.

I still maintain that turning will very much be an issue, but problem solving is what makes this stuff fun to me. Subscribed!:thumbsup:
It was a trike.. it was way worse.. it's a issue but like Carl said it would lead to wear. We stick extra axles under limos all the time.. we use trailer axles so soon rate not matter.. they just drag along.

As silly as it sounds, I think the mid wheel would want to be sprung... Rear of have a hard time keeping weight from shifting it's full load back unless u were seated forward of center.
Big rigs lift spare inner axles. When no in load.

I think it might work ok if you leave the rear section free swinging like you said Carl...one way to find out...:D

I found an image of a mini bike that had a jack shaft between the two rear tires. They were in a subframe of their own and pivoted on the jack shaft, and were both driven by it. No bridging issues over curbs and such.
Every mini bike and motorcycle image I saw with two inline back wheels had much more contact with the road than any tire on my virtual bike. So scrubbing may be an issue turning slowly but leaning into it seems to me like the way to go at speed.

Carl.

sent from a crowded phonebooth...

If you are going to try it, I would suggest running a flip flop centre wheel, freewheel on the normal drive side and a fixed (fixie style) sprocket on the other side, the fixed sprocket side runs a chain back to the rear wheel which also has a fixed sprocket, but the front drive is standard so you have no worries with pedals backing out from reversed cranks and similar issues.

I have often contemplated building an inline trike, but have never devised a way to solve the scrub issue, (if there is one) I thought about suspending the rear wheel so it can float with very little weight on it might be the best chance...

I have read an article on a guy who trekked on a fat tired inline trike, I will try and find it for you...

Luke.

He solved the bridging issue with an independent subframe for the rear tires. Similar to the minibike pic I saw. Looks like I'm buying a couple flip flop hubs...

Carl.

He solved the bridging issue with an independent subframe for the rear tires. Similar to the minibike pic I saw. Looks like I'm buying a couple flip flop hubs...

Carl

I think you only need one flip flop hub for the centre wheel, the rear can be just a standard 20" with a fixie cog...

Luke.

I think you only need one flip flop hub for the centre wheel, the rear can be just a standard 20" with a fixie cog...

Luke.
Think I'll have to tack the fixie cogs since the threads will be on the wrong side?

Carl.

Think I'll have to tack the fixie cogs since the threads will be on the wrong side?

Carl.

The middle wheel will be fine as it is working in reverse, (pulling forward not being pulled forward) the rear wheel will need some sort of locking, most times those fixie cogs come with a threaded lockring so they don't spin off when you are braking, I believe a 3 piece crank bottom bracket lockring is the same thread too...
;)

Luke.

Won't work stock. The top half of the chain is the problem, no straight line between top of chain ring to rear cogs. Frame rail is in the way. The stretch raised the axle about 2 inches...
Carl.
I like that allot !! the 2 inch axle raise is actualy your problem , you could just re-weld the dropouts inline with the lowerbar and have that problem solved :wink1:, or maybe just 1''drop ?
getting the axle closser to the BB would also give you a tinny bit of clearance.

from last year...
0bf03f04106aeb960e78d6a235c1db9a.jpg

Carl.
^^ this look way fun to ride ! :nod:

I like that allot !! the 2 inch axle raise is actualy your problem , you could just re-weld the dropouts inline with the lowerbar and have that problem solved :wink1:, or maybe just 1''drop ?
getting the axle closser to the BB would also give you a tinny bit of clearance.

^^ this look way fun to ride ! :nod:
I thought about lowering it but I didn't want to raise the frame up off the ground more, and it's lined up so that the brake bridge works...

I liked the look too, the long fin was planned to be black plexiglass. I think I'll be trying the dual rear drive though, just because what the heck I'm in class 2 might as well freak out.

Carl.

Maybe you should check this build for technical issues:
010-1.jpg

more pictures here

or this one:
file.php

It's been done before, and as I remember, if doing it unhinged the main issue is that the middle wheel lifts from the ground in turns and if hinged the third wheel is rubbing sideways....

Latest posts

Back