(MBBO Class 1) Orange Lightening....9-Speed...'69 Fastback.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last week I finally accomplished a goal I've had for almost 40 years with this bike.

Around 1976-'77 I made an agreement with my older brother to do his paper route for a year and at the end of that year I would be the owner of his 1968 Schwinn Fastback with ram's horn bars on it. (campus green of course).

I loved that bike a lot but it always bugged me that I could never get the brakes working well enough to do a skid turn with it. I even took apart the back wheel and tried to lace an s6 rim on there to get more braking surface. Didn't work.

So almost 40 years later I decide to build a Fastback and got some good brakes on there. These tektro long reach calipers are a great plug and play upgrade for an older bike. Especially with a modern alum rim with machined sides.

I've only done one other skid to practice since I didn't want to scuff the tire too much. When I rode into this parking lot and felt the warm sun with the cool November air I knew it was time. Didn't take much of a tug on the lever to lay this patch.

skid1_zpsef99e297.jpg~original

Something I discovered this week is that when you spread the stays in the back to make room for a wider hub the dropouts actually angle in a bit. I thought I had them straight but I noticed the derailluer was pointing inward compared to the center line of the chain.

Didn't want to mess with the painted frame so I just tweaked the hanger to line everything up. Wondered why the limit screws seemed out of whack. Drivetrain is much quieter now. Just a little growl in 9th gear when it's on the stand. When you're riding it you only hear wind in 9th gear...;-)

I can see from the picture now it looks like I can probably loosen the tension screw a bit but the limit screws are fairly even.

snow3_zps96a321bf.jpg~original

Schwalbe Duranos are not too bad in the snow. They are an all season road bike tire.

snow4_zps0c7ee05b.jpg~original

Time to clean out the garage to get my car in. Cleaned out momma's side last night before the snow. Will be nice this year. Since I'm down to one boring car, I can keep my driver in the garage...it is a 6-speed manual with 3 pedals though. A rarity these days.

snow2_zps860f18dc.jpg~original

Went ahead and added my bike to the finished bike thread. http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/mbbo-3-finished-bikes-thread.87999/

Last edited:
Thank you so much Joe! Your Orange Enigma came out beautiful as well. +Thank you for being the first one done..made it easier to be finished so early which is actually pretty nice.

Was sorting through my photos and found a couple more decent ones. Took it outside in the snow to get a good pic of the rear mech but I had already took one in the nice weather. You can see how the limit screws were out of whack before I tweaked the hanger.

macro5_zpsba88705e.jpg~original

campcago4_zps1293f25b.jpg~original

macro4_zpsb5dd492a.jpg~original

Back to work tonight for me for 7 days in a row. Vaca coming soon after that though.

Very slick!!! What a cool ride.

love this ride,and the mix of old and new blend really well,outstanding build,worthy of any lounge centerpiece

Thank you....I love both of your builds as well..:thumbsup:

I had planned on keeping the Fastback in the house to stare at but when it's right in front of you starin' quickly leads to ridin' so I've been parking it in the garage.

Took it out today...I'll bet I've got close to 50 miles on it by now.

night_zps22cfbd2d.jpg~original

Took me a while to get it dialed back in after I did that big skid. She had the chain-popper blues for a bit. I think the derailleur hanger might be rotating. Been thinking about drilling it and mechanically pinning it to the dropout. I'll just have to lay off the skids for a while I guess.

She's riding like a dream again now. The tires are a little jittery at their max 110 psi but once they bleed down a bit the ride is real smooth+fast. Bike is an absolute blast to ride.

Couple more detail pics I cropped and added to the finished bike post.

brake2_zps7f7530d2.jpg~original

done9_zps6c6e81c2.jpg~original

Latest posts

Back