(MBBO Class 1) Orange Lightening....9-Speed...'69 Fastback.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the compliments guys. Got some work accomplished this week.

Frame looks great ! I have some wrinkles seats,always been afraid to tackle that project. Maybe someday I will tear into them.

I need like 4 seats recovered. I know a guy... but he's been busy. And he ain't cheap. But I'm sure recovering those seats isn't easy, and then I'd have to buy all the material.

I won't do it. I won't.

I saw that seat on the Monster Ray. I'll bet that did cost a pretty penny. The seat is doable but it gets pretty bad when it's time to glue the cover down with the hot glue.

I like to work the cover for a while with the clothespins and clamps. You need a mess of clothespins and a few strong mini clamps.

In preperation for the glue down I would recommend clamping one of the strong clamps on your finger then burn the same finger with some hot glue. When you can do that without flinching you should be ready to glue the cover down.

Put the glue under a small section of cover then quickly pull the seat tight and squish the hot glue flat. Then clamp that spot with your strong clamps. Let that sit while you figure out your next move. Once that spot has set up you can take off the clamps and put some clothespins to hold that spot.

I start towards the center then pull the material towards the center as I work towards the ends.

It's good to practice your clamping on the ends a few times. This is my final kung fu grip I used. You need to be able to get this all in place before the hot glue cools too much.

main.php

Once you get it all glued and the glue is hard you can cut off what has oozed out from under the cover. Now you can pull the clamps and start working the bottom pan back on. I had to stand in this one on one foot and bounce up and down to get it in there.

I can never get it perfect but it's not bad for a frankenseat with a bunch of extra padding. Should look decent on the bike.

main.php

Got the decals on the frame and fork. Still need to clear over the fork decals but then I will be done with paint completely. Gonna be hard not to slap it together but I want to try and let the paint cure for a bit.

main.php

Polished the fork dropouts...if they would only go back to school..;-)

main.php

Looking good... now I know why I only recover 2 piece seats. Stretch the wet leather, pinch the bottom pan on, and let it dry.

Carl. :android:

Last edited:
Thanks Carl. Yeah I've never been able to get a vinyl cover to do that even though most of them you take apart aren't glued.

I can see that working well with vinyl but not leather.

Carl. :android:

Just caught up on this build.
Love the drivetrain, the paint and the seat.
Great build!

I'll def try some heat next time when stretching the seat. Thanks guys.

Just caught up on this build.
Love the drivetrain, the paint and the seat.
Great build!

Thank you..i checked out some of your builds..WOW!

Good morning everybody. Shaping up to be a beautiful day here. "bout ready to stick a fork in this thing.....(as soon as I finish sanding the fork...;-)

main.php

Time for some Hendrix + coffee......should have some more pix soon.

cool converted work light base to stand!!! are you allowed to keep it in the kitchen?

Troy

I'll def try some heat next time when stretching the seat. Thanks guys.

Thank you..i checked out some of your builds..WOW!

Good morning everybody. Shaping up to be a beautiful day here. "bout ready to stick a fork in this thing.....(as soon as I finish sanding the fork...;-)

main.php

Time for some Hendrix + coffee......should have some more pix soon.
Very cool picture the big wrench throws the scale off!

cool converted work light base to stand!!! are you allowed to keep it in the kitchen?

Thanks Troy...yeah momma lets me keep it in the kitchen. If the paint's real fresh I will put it in the basement between the furnace and hot water tank. Works great for painting. You can stick a finger in the seat tube and inside the bottom bracket and flip it over to get underneath.

Very cool picture the big wrench throws the scale off!

Thanks Jamie...the wrench is close to the camera as well. I had that wrench c-clamped to a ladder to hold the fork with for painting.

Man what a glorious day here in Ohio! Was upper seventies and sunny. Started working on the bike outside but brought it in when I realized the leaves were piling up on all my parts.

Went back together pretty smooth. Just got one scratch on the chainguard when the dog decided she needed to get through the door while I was trying to get the bike out...;-) Got that touched up already though. Well I guess she's pretty much done. My campagnolo cable clamps were in the mail box so I'll probably install those tommorow.

Only had one little side thing to finish. I took out some pre-load from the Krate shocks. I'm running half springs with some vinyl tubing to space them out. Got it dialed in for just a little float now. Really makes for a nice ride with the extra padded seat.

Here she is...Orange Lightening.

main.php

main.php

Picked my kid up from school and we headed straight to the park.

main.php

Picked out a nice spot to throw the frisbee and check out the new Schwinn. She doesn't do too bad in the dirt as long as it's dry.

main.php

It does what it was built for and that's keep up with a 7 yr old kid on a 15 lb bike. He doesn't make it easy though.

main.php

I like my new bike!...;-)

main.php

Got mini Chad to take an action shot. Weird guy on a little bike alert!

main.php

Time to sit back and watch some more of these great builds going on. Would have been nice to finish closer to the end but today was the day this bike wanted to go together.

Thanks Troy...yeah momma lets me keep it in the kitchen. If the paint's real fresh I will put it in the basement between the furnace and hot water tank. Works great for painting. You can stick a finger in the seat tube and inside the bottom bracket and flip it over to get underneath.

Thanks Jamie...the wrench is close to the camera as well. I had that wrench c-clamped to a ladder to hold the fork with for painting.

Man what a glorious day here in Ohio! Was upper seventies and sunny. Started working on the bike outside but brought it in when I realized the leaves were piling up on all my parts.

Went back together pretty smooth. Just got one scratch on the chainguard when the dog decided she needed to get through the door while I was trying to get the bike out...;-) Got that touched up already though. Well I guess she's pretty much done. My campagnolo cable clamps were in the mail box so I'll probably install those tommorow.

Only had one little side thing to finish. I took out some pre-load from the Krate shocks. I'm running half springs with some vinyl tubing to space them out. Got it dialed in for just a little float now. Really makes for a nice ride with the extra padded seat.

Here she is...Orange Lightening.

main.php

main.php

Picked my kid up from school and we headed straight to the park.

main.php

Picked out a nice spot to throw the frisbee and check out the new Schwinn. She doesn't do too bad in the dirt as long as it's dry.

main.php

It does what it was built for and that's keep up with a 7 yr old kid on a 15 lb bike. He doesn't make it easy though.

main.php

I like my new bike!...;-)

main.php

Got mini Chad to take an action shot. Weird guy on a little bike alert!

main.php

Time to sit back and watch some more of these great builds going on. Would have been nice to finish closer to the end but today was the day this bike wanted to go together.
super cool! looks like your having a blast!

Troy

Cool. Bikes are never done tho... you may find a piece that just goes with it or a nice optional part to add.

Carl.

I dig it! Man you have the resto-mod bike thing down Chad!

This gets my vote ;)

Thanks Troy..having a blast for sure. Put the Fastback in the livingroom today and the wife didn't even say anything about it. She's pretty tolerant of the whole bike deal.

Cool. Bikes are never done tho... you may find a piece that just goes with it or a nice optional part to add.

Carl.

Oh yeah always something but at least I'm done sanding for now...;-)

Installed the Campagnolo cable guides that were sitting in the mailbox yesterday. Man they are nice! Finally got my cell phone to do a good macro focus.

main.php

Found these cable casings at my local bike shop that cut my spokes. They're braided stainless coated with clear vinyl. Was having second thoughts about the Campagnolo headset until I tightened it down and felt how smooth it is. It's like butta.

main.php

I dig it! Man you have the resto-mod bike thing down Chad!

Thank you Robby. Wouldn't have been nearly as nice if you hadn't let me raid your parts pile...;-)

+thanks for telling me about this build off. Really makes it interesting to see all the other cool bikes on here.

very nice indeed,well done

Thank You.

I knew you would dig the build-offs they have here! So many great builds and ideas flying around on this site it's crazy.

Latest posts

Back