(MBBO Class 1) Orange Lightening....9-Speed...'69 Fastback.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

First post here. A friend of mine told me about this build-off when I was getting some parts from him for my latest bike build.

Just a bit of background since this is my first post on here. I built a '64 stingray and did some mods to it. mainly different wheels and tires. Rear is a Mutant Elektra with a 2.4 Odyssey Chase Hawk and a Velosteel hub. Front is a 1.5 inch mach 1 with CST operative tire. I built it to ride with the midget I re-did for my kid.

evze.jpg

Here's the finished '64. I painted it mazda spirited green metallic.

bmbT1M.jpg

3TglBO.jpg

MbtrEe.jpg

rGuIU8.jpg

I was calling that one the toad and my kid came up with the name toadster since it coasts so well. It will roll forever and if you're on even a slight incline it will go faster than you can pedal. It was way faster than the kid's midget so he ended up getting a mini bmx racer we call white lightening. Then he was way faster than the '64.

So the next bike I wanted to do would have gears. I found a '69 fastback frame and fork on ebay and off I went. I knew I wanted schwalbe duranos if I did a 1 3/8 rim bike. I also bought a sram 9 speed cassette and the nicest chain guard I could find. Frame had brakes with it but they didn't match and since I want this bike to fly I got some nice tektro dual pivot calipers for it. Found the Krate suspension real cheap so figured that would help with a rider and look cool.

6tUVcV.jpg

Color for bike will be lambo orange. More specifically Arancio Ymir. Gonna hurt to paint this chain guard.

KDAWre.jpg

That's it for now. Kind of nice I can take my time now since the contest goes until jan 1st. will want to get it painted before the cold hits here though. My kid named this bike orange lightening. I was going to call it the orange dragon but orange lightning works.

Drive train will be sram xo derailleur and trigger shift for a 1x9 setup. Should be a runner.

Last edited:
You could leave the guard yellow - use the same yellow for some pin striping or other details...
Carl.

Cool build idea.
question tho.
What chain you going to use?
Those mag chain rings use a wider chain than the 9 speed. Right?

Last edited:
Cool build idea.
question tho.
Good question, I'm wanting to do some very similar. Found a bmx sprocket I'd like to use, but I have a multi speed rear end too.

Carl.

Cool build idea.
question tho.

I'm using a sram 9 speed chain. It was a little bit tight but the fastback sprockets were made for multi speed so it wasn't too much work to get it to fit. Just had to chuck it up in my makita buffer and buzz the burrs and plating off. I also shortened and sharpened the teeth a bit.

Cx4k3Q.jpg

I was glad I didn't try to use a 10 or eleven speed rear cassette as the chains get even thinner. Not sure you could ever get a bmx sprocket to work as those are made for a single speed chain.

Last edited:
Glad the chain fits. The chain line is going to be another big issue (The chain getting pulled off that big sprocket from either side of the freewheel), along with clearance at both ends of the freewheel. If you run into bumps, pop a flare and we can all help come up with solutions. That's how we got through some weird customizations last year too.

Speaking of 9-speed 20" Schwinn conversions, check out Rotten Apple from last year: "Rotten Apple"

for wheels on this I got a set of 20x1 3/8 1989 Ukai bmx rims. they were white but cheap because they were scratched but since I wanted to strip and polish anyway they worked out good. thought about a staggared setup but couldn't find a tire I liked plus I had a pair of these rims.

used but freshly rebuilt Campagnolo front hub and new origin8 rear hub.

4JTZa6.jpg

6XEJSb.jpg

njPR8e.jpg

I had to put quite a bit of dish in the rear wheel. went with 3 cross on the drive side and radial on the non-drive side..regular 3 cross in the front but I used 15 ga spokes for a slightly daintier look. kind of hard to tell the difference really and the 15 ga spokes were kind of a pain to deal with.

SeECLJ.jpg

O8mP2p.jpg

Jy3AZL.jpg

Bike is looking pretty sassy already.

kEgfXM.jpg

So who's house were you at buying parts, hmmmmmm :)

Glad Chad posted his build! Wait till you guys see his ideas, he has this cool way of looking at things with old school frames and new parts that keep an original look. He showed me the wheels he built, the dish on the rear wheel is nuts. And it just spins and spins and spins and spins.

Someday I'm gonna lace me some rims...
Chad, you ever laced an off center rim?
I want to build a bucking bike bad...

Oh hey, this build is awesome already, with 3 1/2 months to go!

Carl.

CRASH that campy hub will spin forever. rear is a heavy duty cartridge bearing road hub with 130mm spacing so not too much of a stretch for the 126mm fastback rear.

rfeagleye is the one who told me about this and sold me some parts. I knew he had a few things I needed...the threat to use a mountain bike stem finally got him to let me into the vault.:dance2: those seats in his avatar are just a small sample of the goodies he's got. I bought a chain guard and sprocket. all the other Schwinn parts came from rob. all correct 1969 parts.

the parts godz have been generous on this build. day after I was at rob's (sept 2nd) I went to see my brother and he gave me some nos bottom bracket bearings and cups. that same night I won my sram xo carbon trigger shift on ebay which I picked up the next day. my deraileur showed up in the mail that day as well.

Carl not sure what you mean by off center but the rear rim above is dished which has the center line of the hub pushed over to make room for the gears.

I think the off center rim being refered to is a rim that has all the spoke holes pushed over to one side. the cross section of the rim is not symmetrical either. I have a bontrager rim like this on my mountain bike. Just a guess.

Welcome. It looks like you do very nice work. Reminds me of the site owner's own work.

Awesome work Chad! Really looking amazing!

The rim Carl is referring to is for a rodeo bike, the hub is off centre to make the bike "buck" up and down while riding, like the two guys at the back in this video clip:

Luke.

Latest posts

Back