MBBO#5 previews reviews and redos

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How does Type O Negative shorten it?

Merle. :crazy:
Figured you'd get that one, but I don't think they did.

T.G.L.O.T.P.T.R.O.V.B.T.C.F.O.T.U.T.O.E. Would work as a title, then just explain it in the first post...

Luke.
Acronyms, why do these things slip my mind... oh yea, my wonky work schedule has me sleep deprived :43:

It's all spelled out like that on the track listings, maybe I'll use the acronym.
But I'll have to make sure I have the parts and materials to build before I enter, I don't want another unfinished bike cluttering my garage.

Unless you have a headset to fit an Iverson dragstripper, I've got no chance at a class one build.
If you don't mind using new parts I would have to imagine there is some sorta headset or headset spacer you can order out there. I love Dragstripper frames and would love to see one in the build off! Good luck!

Here's a little teaser of my entry in Class 1. 1965 Columbia Playboy 88 3 speed with grip shift. First year for the playboy which was promptly renamed playbike thanks to the Hef. Keeping it all original. Just needs a major overhaul, cleaning, and de-rusting of chrome.
IMG_2694.JPG

Psyched to see the other builds! Good luck everybody!

If you don't mind using new parts I would have to imagine there is some sorta headset or headset spacer you can order out there. I love Dragstripper frames and would love to see one in the build off! Good luck!

Here's a little teaser of my entry in Class 1. 1965 Columbia Playboy 88 3 speed with grip shift. First year for the playboy which was promptly renamed playbike thanks to the Hef. Keeping it all original. Just needs a major overhaul, cleaning, and de-rusting of chrome.
View attachment 32695
Psyched to see the other builds! Good luck everybody!
I've thought about using the closest fitting headset I have and just welding the cups on, but I don't know if that disqualifies it for a class one build.

I've thought about using the closest fitting headset I have and just welding the cups on, but I don't know if that disqualifies it for a class one build.
I think that it would qualify as a repair not a modification.
But I'm just guessing...

Carl.

No classic restoration here
no fancy parts, nothing pre war...(I don't think )
It will be a shop and chop muscle bike build from a few rather unlikely sources.

OK...so far...I have this
bars.jpg

and that....wallah...this is what happens when you soak a nasty, grimy, rusty crusty bmx freewheel in vinegar for two days......
Freewheel.jpg

and a bunch more goodies too.
I'll be jumping in later....got to go out of town first 2 weeks in Sept.
should be fun....
:happy:
Franco

reapairnea.jpg

Last edited:
guess I didn't post here but I'm in with this flying o qualifier going to be in class 2 because the parts I have are from several other bikes but I got some flame treads and some cool wheels as well as a set of apes and a banana seat with a sissybar under the back gonna be doing something huggybearish themed it should be fun I don't even care if I win or lose I like to watch the build off and have fun building my own while watching so I guess I'm kind of a sideliner and builder as well oh I do have one question if the build has no brakes does it still count as ride able? I mean it technically will be ride able hen finished just won't be able to stop so good nonetheless here's my starting point

if I find a snafu this will be my second frame choice

I have two frames to strip now.
The dip painted one will probably strip fine, but I'm curious what stripper you guys use? The Lincoln has some spray bomb on it and I think I want to get it down to bare metal, I'm guessing it will be just like Schwinn paint. I keep reading Easy Off oven cleaner, does that stuff do well? I have also tried "Klean Strip" so called aircraft stripper and I wasn't impressed.

Carl.

The dip painted one will probably strip fine, but I'm curious what stripper you guys use? The Lincoln has some spray bomb on it and I think I want to get it down to bare metal, I'm guessing it will be just like Schwinn paint. I keep reading Easy Off oven cleaner, does that stuff do well? I have also tried "Klean Strip" so called aircraft stripper and I wasn't impressed.

Carl.
If the temp and humidity are right, oven cleaner works well. Not so much if it's to cool outside.
The zip strip or kleen strip aircraft stuff works, but it's a pain.

I bought a backpack type media blaster off the bay for $30, I don't expect much from it but maybe I'll use it soon and see.

If possible try use stripper when its cooler and out of the sun. Size permitting bag it in heavy mill plastic so it cant evaporate thicker the better and low to the ground. The vapors are heavy.

Carl.

I only stripped one frame down to metal Carl, and never again.
Used a 'water based' stripper, (can't remember name), and it worked ok...at least as good as the petrol based paint strippers....but my god....getting all of that gunk out of every little crevice...forgeddaboudit.
oh here's what I used:

Now , if I'm gonna paint...which I did on the longbike I recently built
Rough sandpaper
Wire brush in crevices
Medium sandpaper
Light wet or dry paper last step...about 1200 grit and soapy water.
feather it all out

Any paint that's sticking after all of that...I can guarantee you...it ain't going nowhere. In fact, it makes for a better base, in my opinion.
:happy:

franco

Here's one of many I've redone and flipped using the sand a repaint method...this was a nice GT Outpost Mtn. bike that was pretty chipped and slightly rusted when I got it
GT 1.jpg

Last edited:
Just looked through the build starts thus far, looks like it's gonna be a year of cool bikes. Should be fun to watch.
:thumbsup: Still wish you could join us, but I am sure we will keep things entertaining for you!

Luke.

Latest posts

Back