(MBBO #5 class 2) Slow Roll

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back to brakes. I used a chrome rear rim from a coaster brake bike, didn't think thru the angled side walls of the rim, and how that would effect using V brakes.

I needed to get the brake pad to sit at an angle to the brake to hit the rim square, and because I mounted the brakes on the chain stays, I need to keep everything in tight to avoid the crank and chain. created my own problems, huh.

Threaded the brake pad all the way down, and cut a join nut on an angle to allow the brake pad to sit at the angle I need to hit the rim square.

I'll have to cut another washer type shim on the same angle to match the back side if the normal circle nuts from brake pads don't tighten up.

20161119_094625.jpg

20161119_094838.jpg

Little details so far today, brakes werent returning - hanging up, took them back apart, removed all paint from posts, disassembled, greased all pivot points. nice and smooth now.

Cranks are in, added a shim behind the sprocket for a better chainline. Chain installed.

Got my first paint scratch, that's outta the way.

Derailleur, shifter hooked up, adjusting on the stand. Had to take the grip shift apart again, cable worked loose sitting around without tension. Not sure on this one, sometimes the clicks line up to the derailleur shift points, next time thru they dont, next time they do.
Mismatched shifter and derailleur, hmm. Had to take a break, tools were about to become airborne.

Input? Suggestions? I may take the cable loose and give it a tug with some pliers and start over, typing this up makes me think I've got slack somewhere.

Last edited:
Little details so far today, brakes werent returning - hanging up, took them back apart, removed all paint from posts, disassembled, greased all pivot points. nice and smooth now.

Cranks are in, added a shim behind the sprocket for a better chainline. Chain installed.

Got my first paint scratch, that's outta the way.

Derailleur, shifter hooked up, adjusting on the stand. Had to take the grip shift apart again, cable worked loose sitting around without tension. Not sure on this one, sometimes the clicks line up to the derailleur shift points, next time thru they dont, next time they do.
Mismatched shifter and derailleur, hmm. Had to take a break, tools were about to become airborne.

Input? Suggestions? I may take the cable loose and give it a tug with some pliers and start over, typing this up makes me think I've got slack somewhere.
Only certain grip shifters work with Shimano rear derailleurs. Without me searching your posts, which der and which grip shifter are you using?
Typically only the MRX Grip Shifters work with Shimano drive train. No slack in the cable, you are experiencing what happens when mismatched.

Just found your 5 spd SRAM grip shifter in a previous post. That's the four letter word you didn't want to hear....the S word...SRAM. They only work with SRAM ders. I have a couple options for you I could ship out on Mon. Either a Shimano thumb shifter, use it in friction mode; or a SRAM rear der that should work with your shifter. Let me know.
Or go to your local LBS and pick up a MRX grip shifter for $15, and you should be good to go.

Shimano SIS derailleur, old, not high tech, chose it cause it had the most chrome look.
I'll have to dig up an SRAM derailleur, kinda committed to this shifter with the top tube mounting and shifter lever I have in mind.

Recently met a guy that's been running a bike repair for 25 years in his retirement, saw a large box of derailleurs last time I was over there, I'll see if I can go snag a fairly short rear SRAM.

Lesson learned, derailleur is on hold for today.
Let's see if I can get this seat looking better. Grabbed this unknown foam from a packing crate at work, 3M super 77 doesn't melt it so here we go. I wanted something that won't hold water. spray both sides let it tack up.
2016-11-20 16.37.08.jpg

Clamp it up for a good squish.

Thisll take a couple glue, clamping sessions, I have some really large office clamp clips for the edges and some 1/4 wood strips. not quite sure how I'm gonna shape or tuck it yet, bit I'll post it all up, good bad or ugly. If it all goes to crap, I have a scraper.

Last edited:
Franco, appreciate the kind words, im having fun with this. I'm watching your shifter conversion too, we're both figuring it out as we go, I got the idea from other threads on here. Got a cool shifter rod made, mounting is still a little hazy. May take a few trips to ace hardware, luckily it's a block away.

Well, as you said above Indy...sometimes we create our own problems..then it's sortof fun using the old bean to solve them as we go.
Except for the dammd shifter thing.
frantic.gif
..Two days now I'm trying to figger out a shifter. I used the Shimano light action shifter from the Road Bike..and a couple of my attempts so far just pull the whole dérailleur back instead of moving it in and out. and I don't have a straight shot to the downtube mounts for the orig. friction shifters.

So..I"m trying to 'think' like a friction shifter, I don't want to start using a twist grip or indexed thumb shifter...cuz you get into the ratio thing and what grip shifter will work with what der. and I just don't get all that stuff...and I don't want to right now.

I want to see a shifter that someone made from scratch..not from a grip shift, not from a thumb shift, or old sturmy 3 speed...that's what I want to see..and probably what I'm going to make, either that, or throw the dang shifter over the neighbors roof and just go with a coaster hub. LOL

Anyway...we''re gettin there dude....I dig your paint and the brake system you rigged..the whole deal... lookin good...

franco
smashfreak.gif

Except for the ...... shifter
Yeah man, I really considered a friction shifter. I coulda just ground down the lever kinda round and slipped a stainless tube over it with a set screw. I got in a hurry to paint cause the nice weather and never finished mock up.
$_1 (2).JPG

Something like these, cable routing would be clean too. clamp the one on the left to the top tube and run the cable out the back.

For reference these are sunrace shifter $8 set in ebay.

Last edited:
Well guys, a couple things. Franco, does the spring on your road der work? Can you physically hold it in your hand and push in on the der body and it will spring back, with good tension? If it does, then your cable routing might be the trouble.

Any rear der can be manipulated by a friction shifter, as well as an internal 3 spd, or 4 spd as I did with Four-gone Conclusion. Here's a link to my shifter mount and customization. I used an old downtube shifter from a 5 speed road bike.
It's about midway down on page 4 :
http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/in...5-class-ii-four-gone-conclusion.100073/page-4

Well guys, a couple things. Franco, does the spring on your road der work? Can you physically hold it in your hand and push in on the der body and it will spring back, with good tension? If it does, then your cable routing might be the trouble.

Any rear der can be manipulated by a friction shifter, as well as an internal 3 spd, or 4 spd as I did with Four-gone Conclusion. Here's a link to my shifter mount and customization. I used an old downtube shifter from a 5 speed road bike.
It's about midway down on page 4 :
http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/in...5-class-ii-four-gone-conclusion.100073/page-4

Yes, the dérailleur works just fine OJ..I think I remember seeing that on Four Gone...but I'm going to look at that again , thanks.....It's ODD...no pun...that I was just thinking this a bit ago...I think I'll just make up a clamp and mount base for the original friction shifters that were on the road bike......headin' over to look at your conversion again.
F.

Yeah man, I really considered a friction shifter. I coulda just ground down the lever kinda round and slipped a stainless tube over it with a set screw. I got in a hurry to paint cause the nice weather and never finished mock up. View attachment 38952
Something like these, cable routing would be clean too. clamp the one on the left to the top tube and run the cable out the back.

I was working on one of those today...and trying to find the right place to mount it..probably will go under the seat somewhere. somehow...., but it sounds like you're working on something really DIY...can't wait to see what you come up with.
F.

Seat after a few clamp sessions, all porcupined up. I'm really liking this foam, I need to find out what it is. I hit the adhesive with a heat gun to get it to tack and noticed the foam shrinks down in thickness in a slow controlled way. I was planning on shaving the sides, but I can just heat it to mold the edges to make the cover wrap.
20161120_201403.jpg

Shifter dilemmas, always fun when you build your own wheels with old parts (like I do too!) I've begun to really appreciate 3 speed internal hubs but the options for old shifters are limited and pricey. Good luck on your search for an appropriate shifter.

Carl.

Any rear der can be manipulated by a friction shifter
You got it, clean and straightforward solution.

Talked to the bike repair guy locally, he's gonna go thru the derailleur box and let me know what he has. When I was there, the box was huge.

I'm stuck on this shifter style after welding the mount on the frame. Custom paint job and all, I can't match it. I guess I could tape it off and lay down some lace or fish scales on the top tube, if it comes down to it.

5 speed shimano SIS grip shift on the way in the mail, looks like it will work just fine with my set up. may still pick up an SRAM rear derailleur if my local guy has one, keep the options open.

UPDATE: shifter will deliver Nov 25.

Last edited:
Happy Thanksgiving all, got some bike time this morning before the festivities.
I said I'd post up seat recover progress good, bad and ugly, got all 3. My first seat.

The foam I used worked well, shrunk down at the edges with heat, but the vinyl I'm using does not stretch, is thin and showed wrinkles. Had to peel the vinyl back off and add a layer of batting. Keeping with rat rod vibe and since there's no stores open this morning, I cut apart an old baby blanket that I've been using for a drop cloth to salvage some thin batting.

20161124_081510.jpg

20161124_085549.jpg

This vinyl will move and smooth out a little with a heat gun, it's gonna be tricky to keep it warm and get it wrapped.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back