(MBBO #5 class 2) Slow Roll

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm in. Some combination of these, got it all worked out in my brain, we'll see how brainwaves translate to steel and aluminum. 6 more parts donor bikes in addition to these 2 so I think I have most of the hardware.

Half my stuff is at another garage so I won't be able to mock up until Sept 9.

I'll be borrowing ideas from a few past builds, I've already notified the owners of my potential plagurism.
20160806_143528.jpg
00W0W_aqi9oh8uCjz_600x450.jpg

Gotta like that big white Banana...

Carl.
Whole reason I bought that bike, harvest the seat. Unfortunately it's rough enough it will need recovered. Alligator? Ostrich? Crushed velvet? So many possibilities.

It's comfy, I cruised the neighborhood on it til the dry rotted tubes broke off a stem.

Whole reason I bought that bike, harvest the seat. Unfortunately it's rough enough it will need recovered. Alligator? Ostrich? Crushed velvet? So many possibilities.

It's comfy, I cruised the neighborhood on it til the dry rotted tubes broke off a stem.
I vote not velvet, it just makes me think of Bratz bikes now...

Luke.

Stripped the donor banana seat, black mold growing in the foam, dropped the base in some deruster solution. 2 of the 3 studs turn free, I'll have to weld in some new studs.
20160904_071840.jpg

Found a short cage "chromish" derailleur. Going for a Schwinn Krate look, on the rear drivetrain, this is close. Thinking 5 speed, depends if the parts in stock clean up. If i need to buy a freewheel -3 speed. Need to figure out a chrome chain plate for the rear wheel.
20160904_064459.jpg

Last edited:
I guess I need to divulge my diabolical plan before I go any further.

Got the idea when I saw the Warren build, I love the way the front wheel is larger and kicks out in front of the fork without being stretched. I IMd Steve to tell him so, and also I'd be stealing his front end look.

I'll be mashing a Schwinn Krate and Warren's front end together, on a 26" frame with a banana and apes.

warrencover.jpg
33ed0aef82da3d248f3396ecb7963148.jpg

Got around to some mock ups.

20" rear and 26" inch front looks a little ridiculous. Might be good for shock value. Depends on how far I can kick the front out. I want the chainstay parallel to the ground.
20160911_120427.jpg

Mock up 2 with 24" rim. Looks better proportionally and will let me move the fork around.
20160911_120937.jpg

Still not sure on front end, gotta a lot of work before making a decision.

The 20/26 combo I have matching rims, look like araya profile. 20/24 the rims and hubs don't match.

I took quite a chunk outta the frame getting it apart, threw some new weld on it, not metal finished to perfection, just filling the gouges. 8 places, weld, grind, repeat.
20160911_143745.jpg
20160911_144312.jpg

Lined it all back up, and welded the chainstays. Weird angle, looks crooked. I clamped the chainstays in a piece of angle to keep them lined up while tacking.
20160911_145941.jpg

Yeah, I don't normally weld on top of a towel, the frame kept sliding around.

Last edited:
20160911_150613.jpg

Here it is so far. More frame work to come. Fork work will drop it down, the forks need slot ground, the front rim is sitting on the forks and will drop-in an inch more than shown. I want this thing low. May need to swap cranks, got a couple donors to choose from.
20160909_174403.jpg

Disclaimer: The trailer axle is not part of the build, I'm not as ambitious as LukeTheJoker.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back