(MBBO #5 class 2) Slow Roll

Discussion in 'MBBO 2016 BIKES' started by Indyjps, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Indyjps

Indyjps

20161126_105705.jpg
    Shifter modified, mounted, shifting thru all gears. Need to set high low limit, dial in a bit, before a ride.

Cover is modified and mounted. need to run to the store for a couple pieces to finish shifter rod.

Got some good pics of the modifications this time, I'll do a how-to with shifter rod mounting.

2. Falstaff

Falstaff

Finally catching up on this, can't wait to see the finished product. The paint is gonna look good.

3. Indyjps

Indyjps

2016-11-26 19.50.14.jpg
    Here's the shifter, cut off golf club, polished shaft, it had the black flange with 2 stripes on it and I knew I had to use it, shift ball is an equipment knob.

Golf shaft tapped 1/4 inch on both ends, all thread. I inserted a threaded sleeve into the shifter, screw on the bottom, all thread into the top. took some creative measuring to get the slot in the cover.

4. Indyjps

Indyjps

Thanks Luke, it came out pretty good, the tucks on the rear were difficult. More concerned on the longevity of this material, next time I'm at a junkyard I'll field dress a Crown Vic to have some material.
    I'll definately use pleather or similar on any future seats.

LukeTheJoker and GuitarlCarl like this.
  5. OddJob

OddJob

Love the shifter / gear box! And you have the gearing indexed....wow! Hopefully we can see some 'exploded' views of the building of the shifter you described so well above. I agree with Luke on the seat, you guys and your sparkly vinyl heat and stretch methods, it gives it a true muscle bike look for sure. That's what always draws my interest and holds my attention; somebody using techniques, materials, and ideas that I haven't tried. RaT oN!

LukeTheJoker likes this.
  6. Indyjps

Indyjps

Shimano SIS derailleur, shimano replacement dynagrip click shifter, solid shifter cable housing, new cable.

I'm using the cover as a positive stop, 3 speed gear on a 5 speed shifter. Running back thru the gears last night I need to do a little touch up grinding to allow the shift lever to go into top gear better.
    The derailleur isn't real high tech, the shifts are slow, I don't see a B-tension setting so it hangs the way it wants. Limit screws aren't real responsive to change, sloppiness in the pins. Just a low end derailleur.

Shifting OK on the stand, I need to get some riding in to be sure it's dialed.

If I don't like the feel of it, I'll find a higher end derailleur to install for springtime.

LukeTheJoker and OddJob like this.
  7. OddJob

OddJob

Nice work on the shifter mods. Yeah, that b-tension screw is key to get initial chain line / position and setting parameters. Sounds like you have a functional set-up that, like you say, can be upgraded later if needed.

LukeTheJoker likes this.
  8. Indyjps

Indyjps

Went back thru it this morning, hitting all gears up and down smoothly, cover is clearanced.
    I'm calling it done until I can ride it.

Sissy bar, seat, fender is next, its all been roughly mocked up. Need to run out and get some hardware, I want to mount the seat with a solid, bolt running thru it all.

9. Indyjps

Indyjps

20161127_141147.jpg
    Enlarged all holes for a 5/16 all thread tight fit, used another piece of golf club shaft to hide the all thread, bent some chrome washers to fit sissy bar contour, stainless cap nuts. I think it came out pretty clean, and will be stronger with 1 solid bolt thru the joint.

10. Indyjps

Indyjps

Fender wasn't sitting the way I wanted, got a little tap with a long socket extension and a hammer. 20161127_153509.jpg
    Quick easy fender template for trim line, styrofoam cup
    20161127_154958.jpg
    Results
    20161127_161549.jpg

RustyGold, metalchewy, OddJob and 5 others like this.
  11. Indyjps

Indyjps

DUN, got a rider.

Shifting well, just sneak up on the shift, don't slam the lever. Brakes are pretty good, little more messing.

I'll have to get outta work early tomorrow to get some daylight pics and post up on the other thread.
    Got some details I haven't shown yet.

LukeTheJoker likes this.
  12. The Renaissance Man

The Renaissance Man __CERTIFIED DIVER__ (Open Water & Open Dumpster) Pro Member

Good tip using the cup!

LukeTheJoker likes this.
  13. LukeTheJoker

LukeTheJoker Moderator

Love the shifter! Using a club handle would give it that nice taper too!
    :thumbsup: Awesome idea!

Luke.

14. Indyjps

Indyjps

I like it, because it tapers you have sections that will tap to different size thread or fit over different bolts.
    I considered using it for seat supports or fork supports in the future.

LukeTheJoker likes this.
  15. Indyjps

Indyjps

20161129_153209.jpg
    To wrap this up, here's the finished pic posted over in the other thread.
    Used alum platform pedals, the block pedal I had didn't have bearings and I couldn't get enough grease in them to stop squeeking.

I was holding out on the chainguard, itS a little beat and it took a lot of massaging to get it on there, but I think it adds some character.
    There's very few new parts on this bike, as much as possible is reused or reclaimed or fabbed.

16. LukeTheJoker

LukeTheJoker Moderator

Love all the little cool details and re-purposing on this build!

Luke.

17. Indyjps

Indyjps