(MBBO #5 class 2) Slow Roll

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice job on the wheel. 3 speed with a derailleur will be an interesting feature.

I'm working on chainline and setting up the 3 speed on new rim, centering up the wheel this morning. I have a 5 speed that I'll throw on to check clearance for both if I want to swap it later.

I have a couple 5, 6, 3 speed shifters around, just depends on mounting and how the cab routes. I'd like to use click shift, but friction would be OK.

The 6 speed was a cassette, and it just wasn't working out.

Last edited:
Quick update, new rim, 3 speed, duro slick. Chrome fits this build much better.
20161015_074415.jpg

Ah crap
20161016_083327.jpg

Clamped them together and ground the hex into the 46T with a pencil grinder.
20161016_090004.jpg

Moving forward again, found a pair of suitable pedals, the GT platforms I was using will go on a bmx build later.

20161016_085739.jpg

Not relevant to Slow Roll build. Came across these in the stash, 9/16 thread threw me off, no reflectors making me think theyre pretty old. No manufacturer mark though. Could work well for a 3 pc crank old cruiser build.

Ah crapView attachment 35884
Clamped them together and ground the hex into the 46T with a pencil grinder.
View attachment 35887
Moving forward again, found a pair of suitable pedals, the GT platforms I was using will go on a bmx build later.

View attachment 35888
Not relevant to Slow Roll build. Came across these in the stash, 9/16 thread threw me off, no reflectors making me think theyre pretty old. No manufacturer mark though. Could work well for a 3 pc crank old cruiser build.
Somebody converting a one-piece BB to 3 piece would prob dig those 9/16 pedals.
All your bike needs now is a skinny front wheel with tire....see my Conversation I sent yesterday morning. Have wheel, will ship. :cool2:

Somebody converting a one-piece BB to 3 piece would prob dig those 9/16 pedals.
All your bike needs now is a skinny front wheel with tire....see my Conversation I sent yesterday morning. Have wheel, will ship. :cool2:

Appreciate you digging that out. Gimme a couple days, got a lead on a 26" women's 10 speed locally, has high flange hubs which I think would totally fit the build for front wheel, has a shorty chrome fender too.

McGyver Shim was in fact too thick, "machined to size" with my concrete and 80 grit, arm powered, 2 axis mill. The Shim was preventing the center gear from dropping onto the freewheel splines.
Gave me a chance to paint the shim black, spaced the axle a bit more and the chainline is even better.

Time to figure out my shifter.

Last edited:
Cantilever aren't gonna work, it all physically fits, but too close to the crank. They just hang out too far, if I break a cable the cranks will rip the brakes off.

Got a few sets of tektro v brakes from BMX, requires me to move the mounts back on the frame. I'll have to cut them loose, lower the mounting point to get as much chain clearance as possible and try it again.

The V brakes are shorter height over all, I was trying the canti's to stay out of the fender. I'll just chop the fender if needed. 1 set of brakes they need to work well.

Last edited:
Try it again with these, haven't put the rear rim back on yet, I move the mounts back 15mm for the v brakes, lowered the mounting boss and the overall brake is shorter should give much better chain clearance.

It didn't really take all day:) I got a few minutes here and there while doing yard work
20161023_165812.jpg

Latest posts

Back