(MBBO#5 Class 1) deterioRat

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Honey where we roll
Everything must go away
Ah, what do you say?

"Dark Necessities"
Red Hot Chili Peppers

deteriorat1.jpg

deteriorat2.jpg

deteriorat3.jpg

deteriorat4.jpg

deteriorat5.jpg

deteriorat6.jpg

deteriorat7.jpg

deteriorat9.jpg

deteriorat10.jpg

February '68 Schwinn Sting-Ray
furyus

Every shot could be on Macro Monday!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had to look up the Macro thing. I'm flattered. It took about 60 pics to get those nine. Whole lot of "d'oh" coming out of my garage. Wait 'til I start building.

furyus

Bet these lower headset bearings will clean up and ride smooth. We made great bearings back in the day.

tubular4.jpg

Not sure what year the rear S2 is, but it's double-knurled and center stamped, and rusty. You can barely make out a few letters of the word "tubular." Both front and rear wheels came off a '67 Deluxe.

tubular2.jpg

The S2 surely doesn't shine like it did way back when, but it's very serviceable.

tubular3.jpg

So, first thing I had to do is find out if my kickback kicked back. My hope was that a hub rebuild wouldn't be mandatory to complete the build. Parts for these hubs are scarce and expensive, and you're buying old bits to boot (plus I don't know what I'm doing). Fortunately, it up-shifted, down-shifted and braked fine, repeatedly, meaning I can meet the "ride-able" requirement and leave the hub rebuild for some snowy February weekend. Spun nice and true, too, considering the state of neglect.

tubular5.jpg

With the drivetrain testing completed successfully, I can finish dis-assembly and begin beautification.

furyus

Dis-assembly today. Crank doesn't want to come apart, so it's soaking for a day or so. Never been beaten by a Schwinn crank yet, but this one is looking tough.

bbrust.jpg

I'm using Gibbs Lubricant to hopefully free up the crank. Love the stuff. I'll be using it to clean and protect just about the entire bike. Gibbs leaves a bit of a shine without being wet to the touch. It repels dirt and dust, and patinas the patina, if you know what I mean. The following pics are of the left rear dropout after one quick wipe down.

VIN 01.jpg

VIN 1.jpg

furyus

Your point about the well-made bearings is, well, well-taken. I have rarely had to switch out headset bearings on old bikes (if they had not been too loose during use) and most of the BB bearings clean up well too.

Gibbs leaves a bit of a shine without being wet to the touch. It repels dirt and dust, and patinas the patina, if you know what I mean.
You should be in the Gibbs branding department!
Very nice work!

Luke.

I love it. I'm going to get a tetanus shot I want this picture as my next tattoo . Awesome pics !
index.php
Thanks, Sammi. Would make a cool rat tat!

furyus

You should be in the Gibbs branding department!
Very nice work!

Luke.

Thanks Luke. Love Gibbs, stuff works great - try some today!

furyus

Latest posts

Back