(MBBO #5 Class 1) 1968? Columbia Playbike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
IMG_3933.JPG

The beginning. Not going for perfect - going to save what I can including the paint. Needs a re-chromed front rim as some "artist" sprayed the whole thing silver. Wrong handlebars and needs a headbadge, sissy bar, and seat. There is not a ton of info out there on what was original for this so I'm going to use some swap meet finds that look close. Not going to win any awards but its a great chance to learn a few things....

Neat to see how your playbike comes along next to the playboy.. some great stuff in this Build Off
Someone has the fork bars listed here cant remember who off hand.. someone active..

Does the rim need re chromed? Or just need paint cleaned off?
Stripped the silver paint off and the chrome is trashed. (silver paint on spokes and hub too - real hack job) Trying to keep the costs down so I think I may swap in a "similar" wheel for now.

Cleaned frame.JPG

Cleaned the frame best I could. Cleaned and re-greased the crank and head set. Sticky....

Because I like to collect and rebuild Vista bikes, I have a small amount of Columbia info. Columbia supplied many of the parts for Vista. I don't have any catalogs older than 69. But from the 69 catalogue I have this photo of a sea blue Playbike.
47411c42b6974ac046a65652073844df.jpg

Here is the info on the model. It cost $35.35 in 69
f956c3c91db1f704fe9efc4401a88799.jpg

Your bike could very well be a 68. Reason is, I noticed your front sprocket was rarely seen after 68. Please forgive this grainy blown up photo. I think you will be able to see that it is your style though. This is from a 68 Vista coaster or 3 speed.
7b855c8e0f1a4ac2a5d981a017cd914c.jpg

You can check your serial number located on the left rear dropout against this chart. Hope this info helps. I'll be watching this build!
9e15184226514fba34d066c00c429626.png

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good info thanks! Wow its R182244 looking like it says 1966? Its actually really purple. Photos seem to color it blue.

I'm using parts that I have "in stock" for items that were missing so I'm trying to get close. I definitely do not have one of those curved sissy bars. But I have a seat / bar combo that looks the part.

Cool that you are into the Vistas. There was one in San José on sale for quite a while but I didn't look cuz I don't know those well.

Bill

It's looking good! Nice original paint, and a replacement front wheel shouldn't be too hard to find. Here's a 66, (couldn't find a purple one), that shows the original stuff.
DSCN2416.JPG

Thanks for the pic. I have similar "longhorn" handlebars to use and a similar sissy bar. I also have a Troxel solo polo in white. Its a pretty short frame so a full size seat doesn't really work. I had bought a set of Duro whitewalls but I bought the slick and not the knobby - if I had known...

I don't think you should be to concerned about tire choice. I rode all different brands of muscle bikes when they were new. Seemed like my neighborhood friends all the brands pretty much covered. When we started seeing those slick tires on more bikes, well let's just saw it was a lawn mowing frenzy in the neighborhood so we could make $2.00 to go buy a nice fat slick tire. Here is another Columbia chart for you from 66. Shows your color bike. Funny how the chart shows no fenders on the girls model, yet when you read the description with the photo, it states fenders. Also shows one '88' model available with slick tire. I think it's cool that you have some parts that will make it look the part. Great job!
7484bab300e299d076ea2d531d78fe9a.jpg

9c8ea2b43892213099b9f43adfa7a2f1.png

Thanks! Looks like its a Model 120. It had a knobby blackwall on it when I bought it but I don't think that was the original brand. The front may have been original as it was a roached USA tire. I wanted to use the white walls cuz I thought it would look nice with the purple and match the white seat and grips. The grips appear original (a little yellowed) - do you know if they were Hunt Wilde?

Thanks! Looks like its a Model 120. It had a knobby blackwall on it when I bought it but I don't think that was the original brand. The front may have been original as it was a roached USA tire. I wanted to use the white walls cuz I thought it would look nice with the purple and match the white seat and grips. The grips appear original (a little yellowed) - do you know if they were Hunt Wilde?
Yes they were Hunt Wilde. I don't have many Columbia specific parts, so I contacted a friend to see if he might have that headbadge you need. You might even want to post a wanted ad. I'm sure someone on this forum has to have one.

Thanks. Bought a badge off EBay - close but side holes not top & bottom. Was going to try to fake it with 2 sided tape...

Thanks. Bought a badge off EBay - close but side holes not top & bottom. Was going to try to fake it with 2 sided tape...
I used construction adhesive on my Columbia headbadge for Four-gone Conclusion...
20160916_192120.jpg

That looks like it. Thanks

Latest posts

Back