(MBBO 4 Class 2)- Vance

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I started to build a bike out of a Mongoose Motomag frame but with forks and a larger front wheel it looked too out of wack. Like many of the home built chopper bikes from the 70s the Pedals were way too high because of the fork rake. It would have been a pedal up hill and hold on proposition. I could have adjusted the rake but that would have made the fact that it was an old school BMX irrelevant, plus I couldn't make myself cut up a child hood memory even if it wasn't "My Bike" just one like it. I got a 20" Giant kids 5speed mountain bike at goodwill for $5 to convert the Mongoose, so I decided to just use the 5 speed as the donor frame. Cut and flipped the front triangle. Lengthened it by 4 inches.

IMG_20150912_175241_zpsukt6wges.jpg

The rear tire will be a 20 x 2.3 the front will be a 26 x 1 3/8. Tight front fender and rear fender will be a cut down 26" fender with covers over the wheel to make the wheel visually bigger.

I hope to make it look like a cross between a drag cycle and a "Bagger"

Last edited:
I started to build a bike out of a Mongoose Motomag frame but with forks and a larger front wheel it looked too out of wack. Like many of the home built chopper bikes from the 70s the Pedals were way too high because of the fork rake. It would have been a pedal up hill and hold on proposition. I could have adjusted the rake but that would have made the fact that it was an old school BMX irrelevant, plus I couldn't make myself cut up a child hood memory even if it wasn't "My Bike" just one like it. I got a 20" Giant kids 5speed mountain bike at goodwill for $5 to convert the Mongoose, so I decided to just use the 5 speed as the donor frame. Cut and flipped the front triangle. Lengthened it by 4 inches.

view

The rear tire will be a 20 x 2.3 the front will be a 26 x 1 3/8. Tight front fender and rear fender will be a cut down 26" fender with covers over the wheel to make the wheel visually bigger.

I hope to make it look like a cross between a drag cycle and a "Bagger"
Cool! Welcome aboard the muscle bike build train! I can't see your picture, just the IMG symbol. Which photo upload are you using?

Welcome aboard! I think the link is the wrong style for the Google drive set up, you need a host that can provide a "BB code" or "direct link code".

Just to cover the bases, when did you start work chopping that frame @aratman?

Luke.

that was much harder than need be. No direct google link for images photobucket was copy the url and the image .....

that was much harder than need be. No direct google link for images photobucket was copy the url and the image .....

I just did it. It is just tacked. I wanted to see if I liked the length, I don't. I think it is about two inches too long.
Glad you got the pictures sorted, thanks for replying!
I actually like the length it is, but then I am a tall rider...

Luke.

The black stand in the back ground is the start of my frame jig. Legs from a large format printer I got off the free section on craigslist and some extruded aluminium from the junk yard.

Spent a week getting the frame jig just right, or rather just right enough

Mitered the top tube to the head tube tacked it in place.

IMG_20150926_160705_zpsvq3d1kgd.jpg

this is a mock up of the split down tube position.

Latest posts

Back