(MBBO #4 Class 2) Mustang Phatty -(FINAL MOCK UP PHOTOS)-

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After making this 1/8" hard board mag I see that my original idea of using 1/8" steel is going to be too thick and too heavy.

V7gyVE3.jpg

I'm really liking the look!

iiGp2Vv.jpg

My addition of 2 mm to the ID of the rim gives a nice outward taper.

F3DoaOm.jpg

It looks like I will be using 2" channel for the spacers.

Wi4KzE4.jpg

Now I just have to figure out what thickness of steel I will need to be flexible and structurally sound.

I made it to the shop before it closed and miked the origional mag. It's basically 14 gauge, a little shy. 14 gauge is supposed to be .064", the mag miked at .0625".... so I'm calling it 14 gauge. Hopefully I can make it to the Boiler Shop tomorrow and see what they have for steel. Oh, and by the way, Lukes frame is freakin AWESOME!

EDIT: I had the wrong gauge(see post below). The original mag is actually 16g. Learn something new every day!

Last edited:
This build is getting allot of attentive , & I can see why you have done some really great fabrications . This bike is looking great . What vision Roadie 64 !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you ever bought a bike just to use one part on it? Twenty bucks well spent...

y7qgL0m.jpg

I got down to the Boiler Shop and Gary gave me a smoking deal on cutting the mags with the water jet... so I'm going to let him. I was scrounging around looking for 2" channel for the spacers and couldn't find any. I found something way better though. I'm going to split this 2"x1/8" square and grind the radius on both sides.

P4HFJAI.jpg

fRJTIyL.jpg

I'm using 1/4"carriage bolts to fasten the spacers to the rim.

bWZBRgH.jpg

I also ordered 1/4" stainless button head allen screws to fasten the mags to the spacers, they will be in Monday.

I'm going rock climbing tomorrow, so hopefully Sunday I will get the spacers cut, drilled and ground. I'm excited!!!!

Have a good weekend, Gents!

Last edited:
Great score for $20, the chain ring & crank is worth well over that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that mag deal is going to be killer with the wide rim. I thought it looked like the original used pieces of old rim in there for the channel to bolt it together?

Awesome score on that BMX bike.

Can't wait to see this mag!

Awesome stuff!

There is some awesome gear on that parts bike, make sure you grab those pinch bolt 3 piece cranks, stem and bars for a Klunker build!

Luke.

Yes, Luke. I've been keeping my eye out for some steel cranks like this. The bars are tuff too! The frame is an old Huffy... it's kinda cool too.

Great score for $20, the chain ring & crank is worth well over that.
Agreed, G-Matt. The mags caught my eye too. Didn't APSE make these in the 80's? I can't find any markings on these.

I think that mag deal is going to be killer with the wide rim. I thought it looked like the original used pieces of old rim in there for the channel to bolt it together?

Awesome score on that BMX bike.

Can't wait to see this mag!

Hey Chad. Yes, Lees bike has pieces of rim bolted to the rim of the bike. Lee said the mag was designed for rim brakes.
0oeGcTi.jpg

I spent 4 hours working on the spacers tonight. I started by splitting the square. That was a new 4 1/2" cut off wheel....

a3HhhTw.jpg

fPnqLCE.jpg

thGTccY.jpg

4CYjXYM.jpg

frtZ0ew.jpg

wqdfNwM.jpg

iKt5ZRi.jpg

This sure makes things easier for fabrication. I built this for knife making. It's a home built KMG(knife making grinder). It has a 1.5hp 1750rpm 3phase motor with a VFD(variable frequency drive). The VFD acts as a phase converter and I can vary the speed for my small wheel attachments. It powers a 2" wide by 72" long belt at 5400 BFS(belt feet per second) at full speed. She's a steel eating machine. This pic is with the flat platen. I also built two other tool arms for her, one is a 7" diameter contact wheel that I get my concave grinds for the blades on and I have a small wheel arm with 1" and 3/4" wheels. I honestly don't think I could get this quality of precision grinding with out it.
QDKNEEK.jpg

nQb6tE4.jpg

Last edited:
I spent 4 hours working on the spacers tonight. I started by splitting the square. That was a new 4 1/2" cut off wheel....

a3HhhTw.jpg

fPnqLCE.jpg

thGTccY.jpg

4CYjXYM.jpg

frtZ0ew.jpg

wqdfNwM.jpg

iKt5ZRi.jpg

This sure makes things easier for fabrication. I built this for knife making. It's a home built KMG(knife making grinder). It has a 1.5hp 1750rpm 3phase motor with a VFD(variable frequency drive). The VFD acts as a phase converter and I can vary the speed for my small wheel attachments. It powers a 2" wide by 72" long belt at 5400 BFS(belt feet per second) at full speed. She's a steel eating machine. This pic is with the flat platen. I also built two other tool arms for her, one is a 7" diameter contact wheel that I get my convex grinds for the blades on and I have a small wheel arm with 1" and 3/4" wheels. I honestly don't think I could get this quality of precision grinding with out it.
QDKNEEK.jpg

nQb6tE4.jpg
Huhhhh?? Whhaaaa?? :praise::praise::praise:

I've seen some pretty cool handlebars made from wood, I always thought a set made like the handle of a knife, with metal sandwiched by two pieces of wood or bone would be awesome. It looks to me like you have the setup and skills to do something like that...

Carl.

Looks good!
Just guessing here, as I have never attempted anything like it before, but how do you feel about 16 gauge?

Luke.

Luke, you are the man!!! And I learned something new today. The gauge I was using to get the thickness of the mag was for "non ferrous metals", this one I bought for silver smithing and it is not compatible with steel. I'll edit my post above with the correct gauge.

1s8kPzp.jpg

Soooo, your suggestion for 16g is actually the gauge of the original mag and now the gauge that mine will be. My instincts told me to ask Gary about that and I'm glad I did before he cut the mags. He's working on the program now. I also asked him to jet a test piece with the correct ID so I can do a test weld before I commit to disassembling the good wheel and hub. I ordered a disc brake adapter to go onto a free wheel. My plan is to cut the two hubs that I have apart and weld them back together with a free wheel thread on both sides. I'll wait and see if the adapter actually fits my free wheel first before I ruin both hubs. lol

I've seen some pretty cool handlebars made from wood, I always thought a set made like the handle of a knife, with metal sandwiched by two pieces of wood or bone would be awesome. It looks to me like you have the setup and skills to do something like that...

Carl.

Carl, you are quite the idea man! I'm thinking about that now for the phatty front end...

Let me know if you end up not using the frame/forks!

Hey Brett. I'm probably going to keep that frame. I have a hard time letting go of bike parts, you just never know. Ya know?

Thanks again for all of the input guys, I do appreciate it! :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back