(MBBO #4 Class 2) Mustang Phatty -(FINAL MOCK UP PHOTOS)-

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In keeping with the "fatty" theme I decided to put the WCC fork on with the 20x3 tire. I slammed the fork down as low as it could go (for a reason to be seen later). After I took the pic's I put the chain on and took her for a quick spin. I wanted to see how the cranks cleared, they looked low. It has plenty of clearance for turning! She rides GREAT, even without the top fork cup and bearing and no brake... lol

hDTxSie.jpg

Last edited:
Great stance.

I'll give it a try. Why not build the bike with two front ends? Has that ever been done?
YES! Original fork and skinny tire with the og headtube and front clip which highlights the spindely fork and frame look... and a custom built front clip using the OCC headtube to match up with the OCC forks better, and this let's you dial in the height and angle exactly as you want... Dude that's a great idea.

Carl.

I got quite a bit accomplished to day. Starting with the fatty front end.
I didn't have long enough pieces of 5/8" tube so I had to join four pieces(2 each)

r2wE89l.jpg

I started with welding the 1" on the head tube. I leveled the frame and then leveled the HT and tacked the other end to the plate. The 1" off of the plate was square both ways, so it wasn't that hard to get it lined up.
QHPUfj8.jpg

The head tube angle wound up just slightly less than stock.

7qA1khq.jpg

I welded a small brace under the tubes to hold them together.

SOiPOyZ.jpg

I chose to run the top tubes parallel to the 1" on this front end, just to shake it up a little. I also centered the head tube.
Iz679Sq.jpg

This is the extra top triple tree that I had. I thought about this for a few days and decided to run with it. This tree will be in the middle of the fork. I cut and ground clearance for the head tube. That rubber bumper is off of a commercial kitchen cart, that will be the fork stop.

cHehsMK.jpg

This is a stainless screw off of the Electra fender that I chopped up for this build.
Retp4Df.jpg

VoPVYR5.jpg

82PfxE4.jpg

tCL9Pkk.jpg

Cut up a piece of angle for the fender support.

lZbSFUu.jpg

vIwywBy.jpg

So, this is my triple triple tree.... Phat!
55xFhx3.jpg

The stop works great

y4BwaEb.jpg

I digging the lines. And she rides awesome!!!

2jTRLtk.jpg

Last edited:
Well laid out and engineered ideas! And great results! Really like your approach to building. I can almost hear the gears grinding as you move from step to step in your head....Can't remember if you are adding a banana seat to this? I can definitely "see" it fitting the build! :41:

:thumbsup:
Wow! Nice progress and very quick work too!
Very cool, loving that triple plate triple tree fork! :showingbiceps: Tough!
Luke.

Thanks, Luke. I don't know how fast I am though... this is about twelve hours of work. I had a lot of fun doing it. I was giggling and jumping up and down after the test ride.

Well laid out and engineered ideas! And great results! Really like your approach to building. I can almost hear the gears grinding as you move from step to step in your head....Can't remember if you are adding a banana seat to this? I can definitely "see" it fitting the build! :41:

Thanks OJ. And a most definite yes to the nanner. "Gears grinding" on the sissy bar and handle bars too, and some other stuff....

So I bought a stick of 1" to build some bars. I wanted to test my weld strength on a 45 degree mitered joint. I welded it up and ground to rough finish, then put it in the vise and beat the snot out of it. This welding is new to me and I was pleased with how this joint held up. Think I'm good to go with bar building. I wish I had a roller bender. I'm going to try bending around a truck tire, wish me luck. I am open to suggestions on this.

lQkqrXU.jpg

Also, I lost internet at my house, so I've been stealing it where I can to post progress pics. I haven't been able to keep up on other builds, which I hope to have remedied next week. Rat on!!!:thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

Thanks, Luke. I don't know how fast I am though... this is about twelve hours of work. I had a lot of fun doing it. I was giggling and jumping up and down after the test ride.

Thanks OJ. And a most definite yes to the nanner. "Gears grinding" on the sissy bar and handle bars too, and some other stuff....

So I bought a stick of 1" to build some bars. I wanted to test my weld strength on a 45 degree mitered joint. I welded it up and ground to rough finish, then put it in the vise and beat the snot out of it. This welding is new to me and I was pleased with how this joint held up. Think I'm good to go with bar building. I wish I had a roller bender. I'm going to try bending around a truck tire, wish me luck. I am open to suggestions on this.

lQkqrXU.jpg

Also, I lost internet at my house, so I've been stealing it where I can to post progress pics. I haven't been able to keep up on other builds, which I hope to have remedied next week. Rat on!!!:thumbsup:
Looks like that weld will hold. I would guess as long as your form you are pounding on is stronger than your material you are bending, it should be good. Now to find the right radius....

Very cool you are going to build your own bars!
I am sure you know that most bars are 7/8" not 1", but you can weld a piece of 7/8th to each grip area to allow for standard grips and levers if you want the look of fat bars...

I have had success with 7/8" tubing just standing on it and slowly curving it up working my way along the length, good for long radius bends, if you need tighter bends you can cut them out of an old set of racer dropbars and sleeve the joints... ;)

Luke.

Latest posts

Back