(MBBO #4 Class 1) "Shelby Flyer Woody"..Holiday Greetings from OddJob..pg 10

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder how well the wood would stay on the metal in the weather? I was thinking about replacing the stickers on a Wagoneer with wood.

I wonder how well the wood would stay on the metal in the weather? I was thinking about replacing the stickers on a Wagoneer with wood.
Probably want to use a marine spar varnish on it for weather resistance, recoat as often as your climate dictates. If you bolted it on, you could always take it off to repair when needed. Love to see it if you end up doing it! Guys use wood stave rails on trucks...and wood floors in the beds...

Had a great ride on the SF Woody today along the River Rd (follows up above the Mississippi) from St Paul to downtown Minneapolis for the Deschutes Brewery traveling Street Pub. Bikes and beer....mmmm....

Oh hey I meant to tell you a while ago. When was on vacation I saw a modern huffy, I think it was called a champion.
Anyway it had a rear rack that was designed to carry a sixer, thought it might fit well with BBD.

Nice work :41:

I liked,the Pilot's, veiw :
Of the flat-top ,fender.;
Vision Impaired frieñdly.:39:

A wooden deck,on the rearrack,,
Would be , a sweet toiuch..:D:grin:
KJV, I had thought about a wooden deck on the rear rack. Wondered if it would be too much wood....maybe not too much? :) Reminds me of a new take on an old saying," How much wood would a Woody wheeler wear if a Woody wheeler could wear wood...?" :rolleyes:

Motivated by KJV's request, I am adding more of the oak to the SF Woody. Tried the iron-on veneer, but with the holes in the rack, it didn't have a firm / flat enough base for a good result. Have another piece of the 1/4 ply cut to fit that is now in the "wood steam room" getting ready to form to the rack and then stain and varnish. Any other requests....anybody....?....Bueller....?....

Before with the iron on veneer...too wavy...even for a beach bike.

New piece precision cut with my Japanese hand saw I use for violin repairs. Perfect for wood that likes to split and chip...

This will look much better ... front facing part will be clamped and formed to the existing rack profile. Glued, and maybe screwed...

Motivated by KJV's request, I am adding more of the oak to the SF Woody. Tried the iron-on veneer, but with the holes in the rack, it didn't have a firm / flat enough base for a good result. Have another piece of the 1/4 ply cut to fit that is now in the "wood steam room" getting ready to form to the rack and then stain and varnish. Any other requests....anybody....?....Bueller....?....

Before with the iron on veneer...too wavy...even for a beach bike.

New piece precision cut with my Japanese hand saw I use for violin repairs. Perfect for wood that likes to split and chip...

This will look much better ... front facing part will be clamped and formed to the existing rack profile. Glued, and maybe screwed...
May as well draw something on it so it can be glued,screwed and tattooed.:rofl:

May as well draw something on it so it can be glued,screwed and tattooed.:rofl:
Well, my friend, I guess pinstripe of some sort could be a form of tattoo...:rolleyes: Although my seat, and when I say seat I mean mine and the 'naner, will cover most of this visual surface. We shall see....and now you've got my wheels turning ( pun intended) once again....

The wood is lookin' good. My brother has one of those saws. Little tricky to use. The teeth are backwards right? So it cuts when you pull it? Violin repairs...I wanna see that!

The wood is lookin' good. My brother has one of those saws. Little tricky to use. The teeth are backwards right? So it cuts when you pull it? Violin repairs...I wanna see that!
Yes, you have more control when you are pulling it towards you, and the violin family repairs are often precise so control is vital. Here are a couple of pics, the first one is my "summer shop" in the gazebo in the back yard. The second is in the music /recording studio / winter repair room (former bedroom of eldest son). I have been doing this for 12 yrs. It's a great side-line job, and helps pay for the hobbies....like ratrodbikes....:grin:

Now my question is, can you play violin or do you prefer to play it as a fiddle?

Now my question is, can you play violin or do you prefer to play it as a fiddle?
I learned the violin at age 9 through the Suzuki method. It involves learning music by rote; hearing the song and playing it over and over until you get all the intonation correct and the dynamics and bowing down pat. The best way to learn in my book, and is great "ear training" to be able to hear what is in your head, and then replicate that on the instrument. So it works well for vamping on bluegrass, jazz, or alternative parts on rock tunes. I played in orchestra from 4th grade through college. Still enjoy classical music, and play some of that for the wedding and event service I have worked with for the past 6 years.

I learned the violin at age 9 through the Suzuki method. It involves learning music by rote; hearing the song and playing it over and over until you get all the intonation correct and the dynamics and bowing down pat. The best way to learn in my book, and is great "ear training" to be able to hear what is in your head, and then replicate that on the instrument. So it works well for vamping on bluegrass, jazz, or alternative parts on rock tunes. I played in orchestra from 4th grade through college. Still enjoy classical music, and play some of that for the wedding and event service I have worked with for the past 6 years.
That's how I learned to play the guitar. I can't read music and I can't tell you the names of chords or even if i'm playing a G or and A, but if I sit down and listen to a song I'll learn it by ear. I've been doing it that way for 30 years now, it's too late to change now. I did learn to play the piano and sax the correct way, by music sheets, but I've always preferred the guitar.

Latest posts

Back