(MBBO #4 Class 1) "Shelby Flyer Woody"..Holiday Greetings from OddJob..pg 10

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, and you only have to leave them in the towels for about 2-3 hrs, adding hot water a couple of times. The hot water opens the cells in the wood so they are more flexible, then when they cool, they contract and dry into the "forced" shaping by the clamps to the tires. Still flexible enough to bend when mounting, but stiff enough not to go flat again...
I literally just read your instructable two minutes ago,now I understand. Hot towels. Who woulda thought.

Day 2 Summary....Today was a woodworking day. Trying to get a lot accomplished this week before school starts next Tuesday. Fenders held their profile pretty well after being clamped down for 24 + hours. Sanded, and mounted the hardware on the fenders, and even slapped some stain on. Then got the "woody" side panels cut and glued together and tried a "dry fit" late this afternoon. So far so good....

Front fender with crown cut out and mounting hole

I used some old fender hardware from a couple of donor bikes. Going for an "aged" look, tried a new stain called Weathered Oak. I'm liking the effect....

The bike with the unstained fenders mounted.

The woody side panel. Cut two of these and then used Tacky glue and clamped all day. Then set it in place to get an idea of the fit.

Finished off the day with a great gig at the Minnesota State Fair! (That's me on the fiddle..)
Cool! My uncle played at the MN state fair too.
Cool idea for a bike man. I'm watching.

Day 3 Summary Continued with the wood work today. Got stain on the other fender, and the wood-side insert that fits in the front triangle. Also applied the iron-on oak veneer strips to simulate a modern version of the Woody Wagon panels. Then I got a little crazy with the rust-ina in the back 40....going for the "beach woody wagon that's been out in the sun and surf for 60 yrs"....still a work in progress...

I've used this veneer edging for covering old door hinge cavities and other projects. Sands well and finishes nicely.

Strips applied and stained...

And the frame...rat-ified. Just-ified?

Far too impressive work for the first week OJ!

Luke.
You know me Luke, once I get going on something it's hard for me to put it down! Will be leaving for our lake place up north today, so not much will get accomplished this holiday weekend (it's called "Labor Day weekend", but no actual work gets done!). Then school starts on Tues so my time will be limited to just an hour a day....if that. So my work on the bike will go from "impressive" to "depressive"...at least for me anyway.:confused:

You know me Luke, once I get going on something it's hard for me to put it down! Will be leaving for our lake place up north today, so not much will get accomplished this holiday weekend (it's called "Labor Day weekend", but no actual work gets done!). Then school starts on Tues so my time will be limited to just an hour a day....if that. So my work on the bike will go from "impressive" to "depressive"...at least for me anyway.:confused:
Just messing with you, very cool progress and I am looking forward to seeing more!

Luke.

Rain coming down hard on the roof of our camper after a couple hours of rumbling in the early morning sky. Sitting in "The Shop Bar and Grill" (car and automotive themed bar near our place in NW Wisconsin) last night my wife spots a cool rat rod image on a sign and says,"I think you should really consider building that bike shed you talked about out-back." Wondering if it was the beer talking, I pursued the conversation further. Nope! She was dead serious! Come next spring "Back Forty Bikes" will commence! Just had to share....you guys are the only ones who would really grasp the level of excitement I feel!!:inlove::bigsmile:

Rain coming down hard on the roof of our camper after a couple hours of rumbling in the early morning sky. Sitting in "The Shop Bar and Grill" (car and automotive themed bar near our place in NW Wisconsin) last night my wife spots a cool rat rod image on a sign and says,"I think you should really consider building that bike shed you talked about out-back." Wondering if it was the beer talking, I pursued the conversation further. Nope! She was dead serious! Come next spring "Back Forty Bikes" will commence! Just had to share....you guys are the only ones who would really grasp the level of excitement I feel!!:inlove::bigsmile:
Cue the dancing bananas!

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Luke.

It is very nice to have a place you don't have to share with anyone.

More bananas
:banana: :banana:
Of course there was an ulterior motive...she won't have to dodge bikes in the garage and will likely usurp some of my former space...

That's part of my 'happy place' vision as well Lee. The wife says I need a little shack in the back to create 'Dr. T's lab rats'. It would need internet access, air conditioning, a beverage fridge, maybe a couch for when I need to sit and think/sleep on an idea.....wait, does that sound like my own apartment? Maybe she's kicking me out? Hahahaha!

That's part of my 'happy place' vision as well Lee. The wife says I need a little shack in the back to create 'Dr. T's lab rats'. It would need internet access, air conditioning, a beverage fridge, maybe a couch for when I need to sit and think/sleep on an idea.....wait, does that sound like my own apartment? Maybe she's kicking me out? Hahahaha!
Might be just what the good Dr. ordered! Love the 'lab rats' comment! I think I can draw off our internet from the 'Back 40' shed....have to run a line out for electricity. Prob just go old school with fans...maybe a big ol' ceiling fan that I can quote Humphrey Bogart under! And yes, there is always a motive behind the motivation we receive from our spouses. Ah, yes....

Latest posts

Back