(MBBO 4 Class 1) In Violet --Finished

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know if you had told me you were making a purple bike with yellow tires I'd have thought you were crazy but this came out really cool..:thumbsup:
Thanks Chad, I wasn't sure until I had the tires next to the paint.
When I started looking for colors to go with purple, I pulled a bunch of different plasma colors. This one was the one that helped me decide.

+1
Bike looks great, and the colors work well together.
Thanks Falsraff

I can't wait to get it finished to ride it. Just need the time to work it.

Here is a standard deal for that.

CA3243__78643.1403959897.1280.1280.jpg

http://www.niagaracycle.com/categor...GBUYISTkdZqsCUrdYS03AYC3hFXrzs8d9EaAmpx8P8HAQ

You'd probably have to use it on that rearmost vertical tube. Would work ok if you gently arc the cable back to it. Or you could put it farther up the horizontal portion of that tube and have a pulley at the corner.

Chad, thanks for posting that link, I tried my homemade version of a seat stay cable stop and it started to slip after a dozen shifts or so.....

I made an order to Niagara Cycle last night and hope to have this one riding with three gears by the end of next week :)

Building... riding...

Oh cool! That one I used works good. Wow I just realized this is a 3 speed! Show a close up of that shifter..that looks like a cool one...or did I miss it?

Wait I see it now.

20151013_181818.jpg~original

That's cool. Is that a Sturmey shifter? Looks like a Sturmey handle.

Last edited:
Oh cool! That one I used works good. Wow I just realized this is a 3 speed! Show a close up of that shifter..that looks like a cool one...or did I miss it?

Wait I see it now.

20151013_181818.jpg~original

That's cool. Is that a Sturmey shifter? Looks like a Sturmey handle.
Yes, that is a sturmey archer shifter. Frequently found on the Raleigh Muscle bikes.

I got a good deal on it. It goes well with the mid 70s Sturmey three speed coaster that I drilled out to 56 holes to match a wide S2 that I also added a bunch of holes to.

This Bratz frame has a little English class!!

I am working on the brackets for the nerfs. My buddy Paul gave me another sheet of stainless after last mbbo, and said to make something cool with it. I think this qualifies :)

This stuff sure shines after you work it. Same stuff I made Valiant's shifter with last year.

Gotta wait a couple more hours and I can start cutting.

Building... riding...

Very cool! I like the progression of your customizing from idea, to thought process, to raw material cut, to reworking the material, to polish and mount. And your results show it! :thumbsup:

Nerfs are looking good!

Luke.
Thanks Luke!

Turning out a tad more difficult on the back one than I was expecting. Once I get the ring mounted, I think I can get it to where I can press it in solid. At which point will be ready for polish.

Very cool! I like the progression of your customizing from idea, to thought process, to raw material cut, to reworking the material, to polish and mount. And your results show it! [emoji106]

Thanks OJ.

I changed the bracket design once I had them cut out and looking at them, decided to make them straight rather than rounded. I like them better this way.

I still have a full days polishing once I get them put together. I am thinking of painting the aluminum and just polishing up the stainless.

Thoughts?? Polish or paint the aluminum?? I am thinking paint because polished aluminum is a different color than Chrome (Nickel) and stainless.

Oh, I will Need to buy more emory. Every year the dogs sneak in and eat it if I am not careful. Last year I had to buy two bars, and the sneaky dane robbed me of the second one on the last day polishing up the mirror pane. (Its just hydrolyzed animal Fat and Sand, the Vet said it wont hurt them, SDS only warns about inhalation.)

I have a plan to keep it up this year but I get a little airhead when deep in thought...

Building... riding...

To get the dissimilar metals to look the same is difficult. To age my new chrome rail and handlebar on the Woody I light sanded to take off the shine, and it turned out to be a decent match to the old rack and fender hardware I used on the build. With all the chrome you already have though, and the shiny / sharp look to the bike, I would probably use some kind of chrome paint for your nerf bars. Can't wait to see the results!

To get the dissimilar metals to look the same is difficult. To age my new chrome rail and handlebar on the Woody I light sanded to take off the shine, and it turned out to be a decent match to the old rack and fender hardware I used on the build. With all the chrome you already have though, and the shiny / sharp look to the bike, I would probably use some kind of chrome paint for your nerf bars. Can't wait to see the results!
Sadly, chrome paint just doesnt look right. Why I thought paint. I can mix up another batch of purple. Was thinking of hitting the chain guard too. No matter how hard I try, there is a faint Bratz on it.

Most of these ss screws are bent after I bolt them in, no chance the will vibrate out. Some bent from twist torque on second or third run-in.

I did run the wire brush cup up and down them after I trimmed off and sanded down the screws.

I think they turned out pretty good.

Cold today, too cold to be able to top coat them. Will need to fill the propane tank and heat up the bike room.

Building... riding...

Latest posts

Back