(MBBO 4 - Class 1) Corvette Stingray, big boys need Muscle Bikes too..........DeLuxe......Back In!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking great big - Ape Looks like a great ride & a real head turner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, I should be back working on it Dec. 1 Then it will be a mad dash to the finish line!!

Hey man, I really dig what you did with the fork extension plates, it's an elegant solution to a problem that's vexed me for years. Years back I wanted to build a bike along a similar vein, 26" rear 5 speed, 20" front drum brake, basically a giant Krate, but couldn't figure a way to rectify the stance problem with the springer fork. Extension plates, dang, what a great solution.
Cheers, Geoff

Hey man, I really dig what you did with the fork extension plates, it's an elegant solution to a problem that's vexed me for years. Years back I wanted to build a bike along a similar vein, 26" rear 5 speed, 20" front drum brake, basically a giant Krate, but couldn't figure a way to rectify the stance problem with the springer fork. Extension plates, dang, what a great solution.
Cheers, Geoff

Thanks Geoff, the first set that I did were on my wife's 24" el camino. I installed a 26" Springer on it and didn't like the stance, so I made up some plates to lower it! I think that everyone has those moments when they see a simple solution to a problem. That is part of why this site is so cool, you get to look and everyone else's idea, and then use them on your builds!

Well, another build off, another no finish. This is turning into my theme! With Christmas get togethers the next two weekends and no time during the week, I will have to finish this bike later. I will finish as soon as I have time to do it right.

Aw man! Dang it, I was really looking forward to seeing this crossing the Finished line! Can you send out an all points bulletin so we don't miss it when it reaches completion? Rat on!

Aw man! Dang it, I was really looking forward to seeing this crossing the Finished line! Can you send out an all points bulletin so we don't miss it when it reaches completion? Rat on!

Sure thing

NEWS FLASH!!! I may be back in. I am going to rush around and see if I can finish. I doubt that I will get the wheelie bar done, but we'll see. I don't know how much detailed information I will be able to supply since I will be in a hurry. I just don't want to not finish two build offs in a row.
I installed my modified seat post and made up some rear brackets, trying to make the seat LOOK longer and get the sissy bar angled the way I wanted it.

IMG_15661.JPG

IMG_1564.JPG

This is the overstuffed seat that is supposed to be comfortable. Retro bikes says that they use it on their 26" bikes. I still think that it doesn't quite look correct, but, I have no time to change it now.

I had some problems with the original decal on the seat tube. It had been super glued on and trying to remove the glue damaged the powder coating. I turned to the fine folks at www.twistedchrome.com to make me a cool pinstripe decal that I think works very well with this build.

IMG_1567.JPG

Here is a rear view showing the my reflector and a little more detail of the rear seat brackets.

IMG_1563.JPG

l gotta start working on the shifter mount this afternoon.

Awesome, get her done :banana:

After some thought, I think that I have figured out a non invasive way to attach my shifter bracket to the frame. I went to the auto parts store and got two 1" rubber freeze plugs. Then I cut the thickness of the rubber down to match the thickness of the double tubes. I then cut a wedge shape into the rubber so that it will mount snug between the tubes.

IMG_1572.JPG

IMG_15711.JPG

IMG_1569.JPG

IMG_1570.JPG

And now, I have two 5/16" studs that I can mount my shifter bracket to, that do not interfere with the tank or add any holes to the frame.

After some thought, I think that I have figured out a non invasive way to attach my shifter bracket to the frame. I went to the auto parts store and got two 1" rubber freeze plugs. Then I cut the thickness of the rubber down to match the thickness of the double tubes. I then cut a wedge shape into the rubber so that it will mount snug between the tubes.

IMG_1572.JPG

IMG_15711.JPG

IMG_1569.JPG

IMG_1570.JPG

And now, I have two 5/16" studs that I can mount my shifter bracket to, that do not interfere with the tank or add any holes to the frame.
Reminds me a little bit of my wooden "plug" mount on Shelby Woody....

I did add a thin fender washer to the top of each mount, just to add some insurance that they will not pull through...done. Now, to fab up the bracket.

Latest posts

Back