(MBBO 4 - Class 1) Corvette Stingray, big boys need Muscle Bikes too..........DeLuxe......Back In!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got my decals a couple of days ago. A word to the wise, waterslide decals aren't the best decal over chrome. If I had it to do over again, I would go with vinyl decals. These decals look fine, but the clear part of the decal is visible if you look closely.

IMG_1530.JPG

Of course, this is not an issue over paint.

IMG_1533.JPG

I found a problem on the seat tube when I removed the chrome schwinn decal. It had been glued on with some seriously crazy glue! I actually damaged the powdercoat some trying to get the glue off. So, I have a pinstripe decal coming to do a cover-up.

I finally got the front fender finished. I decided that it needed to be trimmed down about 5 inches. In order to keep the curve of the fender close to the tire, I had to make notches in the fender at the fork legs and braces. Otherwise, flexing the fender was causing it pull away from the tire at the ends.

IMG_1531.JPG

I originally bought the fender ornament to fill a hole that was in the new fender, the problem is that the hole was in a poor location after I cut the fender down. So, I drilled a new hole just because I really like the art-deco ornament! It might not be "muscle bike" inspired, but it is staying.

IMG_1537.JPG

I located a nice mongoose stem that is polished with a blue cap. I think that it fits in nicely and it should keep my tall ape hangers from slipping.

IMG_1534.JPG

Last edited:
I almost forgot, I got the white bow pedals in this week too. I think they look good and match the bike perfectly.

IMG_1535.JPG

I started working on the rear fender some, again on this end, I am needing to notch the fenders around the seat stays to keep from flexing them away from the tire.

IMG_15381.JPG

Hopefully, this picture will show where I notched the fender.

IMG_15402.JPG

Maybe not completely finished reworking the fender, but it is much closer now.

IMG_1539.JPG

Great bike.
The fender ornament is cool, and who cares if it's not " muscle" the bike fits the parameters. Schwinn should have built this. :113:

Thanks, it looks like I could spend another half hour on it and be done. But, I still have lots of things that I want to do! And now there is the pressure.... everything else has to be done with attention to detail so nothing brings the overall build down. I think that I will work on the shifter mount after I'm happy with the rear fender.

Great bike.
The fender ornament is cool, and who cares if it's not " muscle" the bike fits the parameters. Schwinn should have built this. :113:
:thumbsup: Totally agree! That is why the rules are so open!

Looking really awesome BigApe! Would love this bike in my collection!

Luke.

Big Ape, your eye for detail is rivaled only by your knack for composition! You have created and assembled a production quality bike that even Schwinn (in their heyday) would be proud to display. For what it is worth, I love my long polo style seat on the SF Woody, and a blue or white sparkle version would look great on your "big boy" muscle bike! Here's the saddle I got from jbimporters.com through my local bike shop in blue. Not sparkle, but the chrome stripes really pop, and I have to say the saddle is really comfy for a 'naner.....

Big Ape, your eye for detail is rivaled only by your knack for composition! You have created and assembled a production quality bike that even Schwinn (in their heyday) would be proud to display.

Thanks man, that is what I am going for! Actually, when I finish it, my submission photo will probably be in front of the Christmas Tree with a big blue bow and ribbon on it! Ooops, I hope nobody steals that idea....................I know, it has been done before. ;)

My build was about to fall off of the page.... so it is time to update....something.... I know, I took an old seat post, and bought some 5/8" steel rod and a 3/8 x3/4 spacer from the farm supply store. I heated and bent the rod to 90 degree then v cut the end and welded the spacer in, finally I cut the reduced end off of the original seat post and drilled it to match the 5/8" rod.Then I inserted the rod into the post and plug welded it at the bottom end and welded it above the bulge at the top. Making a pretty cool laid back seat post that will allow me to keep the front mount of the banana seat hinged so that the sprung sissy bar will function properly. I do plan to paint the bent part of the post black in order to make it disappear under the seat.

IMG_1544.JPG

IMG_1545.JPG

Hopefully, I will have the bathroom remodeling done by the end of this month. So, I can have December to finish it out.

Latest posts

Back