(MBBO #4 Class 1) 1968 Huffy Rail Custom

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm working overtime at my job right now so progress on the bike is going a little slow. I should be able to finish on time though. Tonight I made a set of redline pedals. I took a regular set of NOS Excel pedals and using some regular automotive pinstriping I added two thin red stripes to the raised ridges on the sides of the pedals. It's not a set of original redline bow pedals but it's a good cheap alternative. I also applied the 'Rail' vinyl sticker to the chainguard. The white really pops against the candy blue metallic powdercoat.

411858197.jpg

411858199.jpg

411858198.jpg

I like that pin striping I use it on my bikes also. It's easy & add some color & detail . If you decide you you don't want it any more just peal it off .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll back up KJV on that. Jess (Old School) makes fantastic Huffy caps. They are really polished and nice. I've used his on several builds including last year's MBBO winner which happened to be a Rail. My build which will be this year's winner (I keed! I keed) will also have them! :D

I honestly just want to make clear acrylic replicas to use on a future build. But atleast I know where to get some.

Yes, that's the frme.:cool2:
Old School : member here ;
Makes them. :cool2:

Really , Dig this build.:thumbsup::thumbsup:
I'll back up KJV on that. Jess (Old School) makes fantastic Huffy caps. They are really polished and nice. I've used his on several builds including last year's MBBO winner which happened to be a Rail. My build which will be this year's winner (I keed! I keed) will also have them! :D

Thanks guys glad you like them and I appreciate the recommendations. :)

Nice job on those pedals..red stripes look good.I think those are what was on my Huffy...:39:

The blue is tasty and looks like the grips/seat will match nicely.

Wow!!! The deadline is coming up quick! I had my rims relaced at the local bike shop and just picked them up. I have everything I need to complete my build now. Right now I'm polishing up all the chrome pieces. After that it's assembly time!!! Hopefully I will get it all done in time. It's gonna be close!!!
412044758.jpg

Beautiful!! What lovely toys you have in the background!! WOW

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

So close to finishing!!!!!!

412047598.jpg

Holy cow...Look at all those cool toys!! :43::43::43: Bike looks good too..:thumbsup:

Tonight as I installed my pedals I really got jealous of your red striped pedals. They would be most "correct" for my '69. I've looked for a set of NOS Excels like you have, but haven't found any yet. If you know of where to get some, please let me know.

Crash I think those are the same as the ones that were on my Huffy. I'd prolly trade them for something cool...:39: You'd have to paint the stripes on though.

Well it was close but I was able to finish on time. I haven't had a day off from work since Christmas so it was hard to find time to work on the bike. Since I built this bike to ride on the local bike trail I was hoping to take some cool pictures of the bike on the trail. Unfortunately I just finished the bike now and it's pitch black outside so I can't get any pictures outside so these will have to do for now:

412051477.jpg

412051483.jpg

412051482.jpg

412051481.jpg

412051480.jpg

412051479.jpg

412051478.jpg

412051476.jpg

412051475.jpg

Thanks for the link, and nice work! I just noticed your brakes. Did you make your own double rear set up or use an Eliminator set? Also, how did that non-333 spoke protector fit? I've seen them, but haven't used one. I think it's French made? Looks really close to the real thing!

Thanks for the link, and nice work! I just noticed your brakes. Did you make your own double rear set up or use an Eliminator set? Also, how did that non-333 spoke protector fit? I've seen them, but haven't used one. I think it's French made? Looks really close to the real thing!

I made my own set up for the double rear brake. I used Excel Grand Prix calipers that originally came on the Rails. I decided to use period correct Weinmann red dot levers because they look and have a better feel than Excel levers. I still have to crimp the fender in a little bit by the lower caliper so I can get the brake shoes closer to the rim. My reason for doing the dual rear brake and no front brake is I liked the clean look of just a small spoked front rim with no bulky caliper on the front fork. I think it gives the bike more of a dragster look. I used an NOS Shimano 333 hub on the rear wheel laced to a generic NOS 1970's 20" rim. The original rim was too rusty to clean up. The spoke protector fits real tight. In fact I had to spin it onto the threads of the hub, but it fit nice and snug. Not sure if it's French made but I was told it was for Raleigh bikes. It looks almost exactly like the Shimano 333 spoke protector. I hope to get the bike outside soon to get some better pictures.

Latest posts

Back