MBBO#3 the drawing board

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Who's got a design on the drawing board yet?
I like to take a photo into Paint.net and scribble on it.
I can stand in front of a frame hanging in my garage,
and daydream a bike in no time...
Translation to paint takes me a bit more...

Got some ideas? Let's see em'.

Carl.

mockup with the wrong wheels and wrong bars...

still kinda funky... with graffiti?

Carl.

Last edited:
You guys know me by now, got about 10 different drawings and designs happening, the Hoosier dirt tire really threw my designs a loop though, it is far too wide to run without a jackshaft so now the cranks need to be a fair way in front of the leading edge of the tire to allow room so my heels don't get caught on the way through.

Plan I was using for the narrower tire and wheel combo:

14865413783_14536dd060_z.jpg

Full length breadloaf seat and a converted handbrake from an old Nissan involved in that one.

Then when the Hoosier became involved, I went a bit dragster:

14699665327_f8d6e85d88_z.jpg

Even tried to put that design through BikeCad, that was not fun:

14745451557_bd4031ee29_z.jpg

That was cool, but decided I needed to do something a bit different, so went searching through my "Ideas" folder of photos on the computer and decided I liked one I found here on RRB somewhere, whoever owns this photo, sorry, I forgot who...

14745421267_ebc4aa2ce8_z.jpg

That basic design allows room for the jackshaft but still keeps the "Muscle" look I am after, so the current design is based in this area, but is still in progress, there is a fair bit of work converting that idea to run a 14" wide rear tire...

No, I will not be running a motor...

Luke.

14748024579_a91c17d056_z.jpg

Some conversations back and forth with @whitefiretiger came up with another idea too, not sure which way I am leaning at the moment...

14913087786_ce487f4545_z.jpg

The bottom one is very much a muscle bike and extremely cool, but I love the short and stocky nature of the top one, looks like it is ready for a fight... :39:

Luke.

The last blue one is definitely more Muscle Bike...

Carl.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I like the lines but I got a feeling the seat will be too low for me to ride comfortably. So go for the look, or make it ride right for me? I'd need to source a short crank too, less rise for my knees on the up stroke. So design for aesthetics, or function? I do like the idea of a cafe seat... will I be able to reach my apes? Maybe my seat post needs to be z'ed....

Carl.

Thanks guys, I like the lines but I got a feeling the seat will be too low for me to ride comfortably. So go for the look, or make it ride right for me? I'd need to source a short crank too, less rise for my knees on the up stroke. So design for aesthetics, or function? I do like the idea of a cafe seat... will I be able to reach my apes? Maybe my seat post needs to be z'ed....

Carl.
With the seat that far back you should have decent leg extension shouldn't you?
I wonder how you would go with lower bars? You already have two requirements with the wheels and seat, so you don't have to use ape hangers...

Luke.

A bit stuck with my build-off idea at the moment, there is no room in my bike building budget for chrome plating and I am not sure those front dragster forks will look right in black...

14944679175_8c3f4ae7cc_z.jpg

Even tried making the whole bike black:

14757879840_3b8471c5f2_z.jpg

Still thinking on it...

I think my biggest issue is how much I want to build this one:

14748024579_a91c17d056_z.jpg

But I could save that one for the Winter build-off and do the Huffy Rail style for the MBBO, but I only have one of these fat Hoosier tires, so one would have to go to a more standard car tire, I have some nice 15" Yokohama Advan cut slicks that could work nice on the Rail style... ???

Luke.

Luke are you scratching the whole frame?
If so it'd be cool to do a one off muscle bike frame...
Cantilever Stingray, or an Eliminator / Chopper wedge...
Whatever classic frame you want...to fit the Hoosier.
That's why I like the blue one, it has classic Muscle Bike lines.
Schwinn style fork if you go cantilever...
or a wedge and the rail in color with salvaged chrome tips...

Carl.

That rail build reminds me of the dragster bike that I ran across on Fugsley's last ride.
WP_002879_zpsb29043ea.jpg

WP_002873_zps83082a14.jpg

Luke are you scratching the whole frame?
If so it'd be cool to do a one off muscle bike frame...
Cantilever Stingray, or an Eliminator / Chopper wedge...
Whatever classic frame you want...to fit the Hoosier.
That's why I like the blue one, it has classic Muscle Bike lines.
Schwinn style fork if you go cantilever...
or a wedge and the rail in color with salvaged chrome tips...

Carl.
Yep, will be scratching the whole frame, just no cheap raw material muscle bikes over here, unless you count Bratz bikes, but I think they are just too short to take on this build.

My health has gone down a bit, so the build may get simplified a fair bit so that I can do it comfortably, may even just start with the rear wheel and fill in the blanks.

That rail build reminds me of the dragster bike that I ran across on Fugsley's last ride.
WP_002879_zpsb29043ea.jpg

WP_002873_zps83082a14.jpg
That thing is crazy King, always liked it, best bit is that it is single speed and coaster brake, nice and simple.

Luke.

Luke, I think that big chopper has disc brakes. You can see the cables and in the first pic, I looks like it's right by that dudes knee. Either way it's pretty cool, I saw it posted before by Kingfish, and thought it looked like something you would build!
Kfish, you miss Fugsley? I know you still got a few cool bikes (you buildin' a Muscle bike?), but that kinda tall ride must have been fun.

Carl

Latest posts

Back