Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The Unvega
Formerly a 1985 Univega Nuovo Sport road bike
Here's the build story: UNVEGA MBBO5 * Build

Leadoff.jpg

profileHome2.jpg

Home-2.jpg

home-3.jpg

grove.jpg

eaugallie1.jpg

squidlips2.jpg
squidlips.jpg
squidlips3.jpg

It's not a road bike anymore....
TRANSITIONClipboard.jpg

Cut up the old beat Univega. Used all of the tubing, bearings, BB, bars, most of it, actually....weld weld paint paint assemble, grease, adjust, groan, reassemble several times & finally ride.
Wheels and other parts are from donors I had laying around
Rear: 20" x 2.125
Front: 16" x 2.125
Hub: Freewheel from Upland BMX. Originally 7 sprockets, stripped and spaced to 3 spd.
Crankset: from BMX Upland 21 spd.
Sissy Bar & Rear Rack: Chrome luggage cart from Thrift.
Paint: Duplicolor Engine Paint, Pontiac Blue
Misc. Parts: hinges, bolts, nuts, clamps, etc. from the junk bin.
Dock2.jpg

Vid....first ride. :happy:

Great fun...I really enjoyed this...never rode a muscle bike before...I missed that whole era...so this was a new learning experience and man, it turned out to be such a fun little bike to ride
O.K...Good luck to everyone in MBBO5
Keep Wrenchin'
:thumbsup:
franco

Attachments

• profileHome1.jpg
    profileHome1.jpg
    618 KB · Views: 349
Last edited:
It really does, Luke. No problems with it at all... I think I'm hooked on muscle bikes now...lol
:happy:
Sounds like me after MBBO#01! Been here for every one since!

Luke.

Sounds like me after MBBO#01! Been here for every one since!

Luke.

yeah...I was whining about it before it started...hah...waah wwaah.:20:..I didn't know squat about a muscle bike...but now I do..I think I'll start with a 'frame' next time though.....

Incredible metamorphosis
Excellent work on a beautiful ride!

Very cool build ,what a transformation! well done sir :41::113:

i think the 3rd picture is the best imo:wink1:

** Thanks 1HP, I trusted your eye on the last BO too...

Appreciate the pic input for sure...because after a while, and working on this bike for a while..it all starts to look the same, not to mention I'm tired of looking at the damm thing...:bigsmile: **
franco

They fit good too!
Luke.

absolutely Luke / Falstaff...I'm not an engineer but I know how high I want my seat, how much rake feels 'comfortable'...how's the old back going to feel....now, If I could just reach that G-dam (not Sram) shifter...:bigsmile:

Man Franco....you created a beautiful bike out of that old 10 spd! Your custom work on the frame, the melding of the rack into the flow, the seat work....over the top!:41:

And, not to start a debate, but that second pic of the full profile on the waterfront...that's my #1!

thanks OJ and Chad ,BikeBum ,Renaissance man, Kingfish, and all of you....
Originally I had that second pic as the first...
and I was thinking. hmmm..it was Odd Job that gave me the steer on last build off pics....so maybe I'll change it back....
I like the waterfront myself...but that first one now shows more detail

That seat is very comfy, some guy on Eebay had a slew of them..I bid 5 bucks and had it in 3 days...I'm going to get a couple more for some of my other bikes....now that I'm getting a little better at recovering them.

I should've just taken ONE picture. :), two at the most.
f

Last edited:
Awesome build again Franco ,iam really surprized your not higher in the votes as this is fine work and good looking bike:41::nod:

Thanks 1 H.P....I'm surprised too.. lol..:bigsmile:
But, all seriousness aside. I think in Class II...some of the designs blew some of the "original" Muscle Bike designs from the 60s and 70s out of the water. ref to G.Carls what was the suckiest Muscle Bike of the era? question..I thin it was guitar carl
:thumbsup:
Honestly tho , to be able to stand shoulder to shoulder with some of the best bike builders from all over the globe really, is an honor, sir...

It's not where I finish that counts ...it's finishing that counts.
That's a gold right there bro.

:happy:
Franco

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back