(MBBO#05 Class 2) The Kim Rae

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wasnt able to get much done on the bike this weekend aside from mounting the brake lever and grip on the left side. Still waiting for the brake cable to arrive. I want to blend the brake and shifter cables under the bottom of the down tube. The seat arrived today and is nice. Maybe I can get it on with some form of sissy bay next weekend. I did go by two shops this weekend and no luck with a 20 x 3 tire. I will keep looking

I wasnt able to get much done on the bike this weekend aside from mounting the brake lever and grip on the left side. Still waiting for the brake cable to arrive. I want to blend the brake and shifter cables under the bottom of the down tube. The seat arrived today and is nice. Maybe I can get it on with some form of sissy bay next weekend. I did go by two shops this weekend and no luck with a 20 x 3 tire. I will keep looking
Amazon will be your friend for the tire also will get it at a fair price...
If your itching for stuff to do as u wait, check out mcmaster carr online. If you want to route the cable they have all sorts of cable and line fastiners.. can prolly find some clean stainless solution to secure them to the tube but not look like a zip tie.. if want help navigate there site pm me ill send you a link...
Honestly i had no idea your bike would come along so fast and neat!!
Very good job for just jumping in!!

You can't beat the FLEXROUTE Universal Cable Guides for routing your cables. And they're black!

I used them on my Columbia Convertible Commuter.
cable%20ties_zpsxbroscna.jpg

Thanks for the lead. I will look them up.

I came back to SF early today because I didnt want to get stuck in traffic for the football game. I was a little bored and decided to piece this rain bike together. I planned to use this frame for this muscle bike build because it has the cable guides set up for an internally geared rear wheel. However the springer fork I had has too narrow of threads for the head tube. I tried every combo of bearings and spacers I had and decided to go with the wally world cruiser instead. I bought it a while back and had to use the fork on the muscle bike build.

I think the frame and fork are from Giant but not sure. The coaster braked 700c wheels, crank arms and handlebars are from a cheapie bike i bought a few years ago when I broke my finger and couldnt shift or squeeze a brake lever. The planet bike fenders came off my Salsa Vaya touring bike when I resized it for my girlfriend. The seat and pedals were stock parts from my Specialized Sirrus. And the chainguard came from an AMF Roadmaster and has been garage wall art for years. Its weird to see it back on a bike. Since my frame tube diameter is so much bigger than the AMF, I stretched out the mount around as far as I could and hose clamped it on.

It rolls along nicely. I have a taillight at my house I will install next week here. Twas a fun little side project made entirely of spare parts. The spare rubber on the handlebar is for locking it on to Bart train cars so I can go sit down and the rubber hose on the rear rack is to give me a soft place to grab the bike for carrying it up and down the stairs at the bart stations

Last edited:

Thanks for the lead. I will look them up.

I came back to SF early today because I didnt want to get stuck in traffic for the football game. I was a little bored and decided to piece this rain bike together. I planned to use this frame for this muscle bike build because it has the cable guides set up for an internally geared rear wheel. However the springer fork I had has too narrow of threads for the head tube. I tried every combo of bearings and spacers I had and decided to go with the wally world cruiser instead. I bought it a while back and had to use the fork on the muscle bike build.

I think the frame and fork are from Giant but not sure. The coaster braked 700c wheels, crank arms and handlebars are from a cheapie bike i bought a few years ago when I broke my finger and couldnt shift or squeeze a brake lever. The planet bike fenders came off my Salsa Vaya touring bike when I resized it for my girlfriend. The seat and pedals were stock parts from my Specialized Sirrus. And the chainguard came from an AMF Roadmaster and has been garage wall art for years. Its weird to see it back on a bike. Since my frame tube diameter is so much bigger than the AMF, I stretched out the mount around as far as I could and hose clamped it on.

It rolls along nicely. I have a taillight at my house I will install next week here. Twas a fun little side project made entirely of spare parts. The spare rubber on the handlebar is for locking it on to Bart train cars so I can go sit down and the rubber hose on the rear rack is to give me a soft place to grab the bike for carrying it up and down the stairs at the bart stations
It is an awesome feeling when you have enough parts and leftovers to build a complete bike in your spare time!

Luke.

Sorry no update this week. I only had today off and my bike time was taken up with a club ride. Im free next weekend and will get the seat and cables done

Sorry no update this week. I only had today off and my bike time was taken up with a club ride. Im free next weekend and will get the seat and cables done
Bring on the next weekend update!

Luke.

Did you get anything done over the weekend?

Luke.

Cables are finally in. Im doing a metric century for the Surf City Aids Ride on Sunday and will work on it Monday. Pedals showed up too. Time has been in short supply lately. Will get some pics

As far as bike building goes I did spend some time friday night robbing the modern drivetrain off my Felt S32 time trial bike and put it on my steel framed Specialized Allez. I have one fast commuter bike. If I find my ipad I can load some pics of it. It came out really nice

This is the seat I bought. I will make a sissy bar to mount to the same bracket on the back as the fender braces. For now Im not sure whether to drill and tap threads or add brackets to mount them. I cant stack anything else on the axle bolts because it will affect the shifting.

Today we are going for a ride and hopefully I can work on the rear fender whenI get back

Happy Labor Day

One of these springer sissys might go good with that seat and be easier on your wife's back.

531015bicyclesuspensionsissybar531015.jpg

http://www.bicycledesigner.com/bike-parts/bicycle-sissybar/cuda-suspension-sissybar---raw-metal.html

This morning i was up early and tried a homemade mock up of a sissy bar I made from an old crutch. I had the seat pretty close to level and asked Kim to try it. She sat on it for a few seconds and said no because it hurt her back. She has degenarative disc disease and has to be careful how she sits everywhere. I put the cruiser seat leftover from my Kona chopper back on and she took off with the bike. Still stuck in first gear and no brakes and she went tooling the neighborhood for 15 minutes or so. My banana seat idea will not work for her. She doesnt want anything else but the seat thats on there. I will finish out the build but wont meet the rules for the final vote. Oh well, its all in fun. If I ever find my ipad I will take some pics of it. The anodized pink pedals look awesome against the black. I also have an idea to extend the chain so the brake arm fits the regular slot on the frame and have two ideas for the rear fender to still meet the curvature of the wheel properly. So until next time. But for now Im going to jump on the chopper and run some errands around Hollister

Latest posts

Back