(MBBO#05 Class 2) The Kim Rae

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score

Im in on this one. I actually got a head start over the past month but Im far from done. Originally my plan was to make this for my girlfriend and needed a big cruiser seat. Well this week I bought her a brand new road bike and had her professionally fitted to it and now she wont ride anything else. So I will get everything needed to meet the requirements. I started with a Walmart Next La Jolla beach cruiser.

And the name of the bike is The Kim Rae because that is her name

Last edited:

So far, I peeled of the stickers. I installed a monarch replica fork that I bought for another frame a while back and the threaded part was too narrow. The front 20 x 3 wheel is off a Jesse James chopper. The rear 24 x 3 wheel is leftover from my chopper build along with the seat and seatpost but now. Those are gonna go. The crankset was an emergency back up for it as well. Oh and its the second chainguard on it. Its the same but has only a little chain wear inside. The first one has chain wear length wise. I have a long way to go yet

Welcome aboard!
Normally any builds started before the start time would be disqualified, but seeing as you have not much done and there was some misunderstanding with build-off requirements, pretty sure everyone will be fine with it! :thumbsup:

Glad you are in!

Luke.

The paint is really bad. My ipad didnt zoom in on it but theres no saving it. Once everything is on in the right places, it will get stripped and painted. Staying with black. My next projects are to find a stem and fit a fender I have. The fender is a front from something thats wide and has a flare at the end. The present fender is too narrow and the tire sticks out of both sides of it

Welcome aboard!
Normally any builds started before the start time would be disqualified, but seeing as you have not much done and there was some misunderstanding with build-off requirements, pretty sure everyone will be fine with it! :thumbsup:

Glad you are in!

Luke.

Its just a simple mock up so far of parts I had. The bike will be ripped apart and the end result will be quite different

After seeing the bike in the bright sunshine, i tried to clean the lettering on the sides of the front tire. As I really looked at it, the tire is extremely cracked all over. I like the width of it at 3 inches like this. Does anyone know if 20 x 3 tires are available anywhere else? I checked the back and it seems fine

Try east bay... i think youll find more shops marketed at rats and vintage.. if nothing less not trying to cover city rent! Im sure there is something in bizirkley or west oakland.. you definatly should be able to find them local... but amazon also has. There are a few bay area clubs to look into also.

This is the seat I bought. I will make a sissy bar to mount to the same bracket on the back as the fender braces. For now Im not sure whether to drill and tap threads or add brackets to mount them. I cant stack anything else on the axle bolts because it will affect the shifting.

Today we are going for a ride and hopefully I can work on the rear fender whenI get back

Happy Labor Day

This is another problem That happened when trying to get the back tire to sit right in the stock fender. The brake clamp is welded to the frame and the arm coming off the wheel is too far forward. Im going to lengthen the chain so it sits right and then play with the fender. I have a really fat front fender that I will use on the back. It will use the mount on the brake bridge and still not sure how to mount the back of it. I have one useable straight fender brace but I think I will wait until the seat arrives and try to make a combo with the sissy bar.

I remembered something from my childhood about muscle bikes. I love the look of a high backed sissy bar but it was always a pain to get on and of the bike. So I chose this seat so I can attach the sissy bar underneath and still get a leg over the back of the seat. Kim might just get to ride it after all. Her legs are a little longer than mine but with a long seat, she can sit further back on it than me. And it looks soft enough and wide enough that it wont bother her back for fun rides around town. Its very flat around downtown so no hard pedaling will be needed

For the break arm, if your not reaching the stock mount can sue plumbers strap around the chain stay and secure the arm wherever it lands. Ull see alot of members use things like old silverwear. The goal is to secure it from rotating counter clockwise and loosening up the coaster break.
Regaurd the sissy bar you should still be able to mount it on the axel but on the outside of tge frame. It should not effect any alignment.. but youll need to retighten the rear axel for a while as the sissy seats in.
As for your wife joining in the fun, extra bonus.. congrats!!

This is how I left it for the week. I found a nice bmx double clamp stem and tandem cables for the shifter and brake that I need to get on yet. And if you blow up the pic, you can see the pink chainring bolts that Kim found. I was thinking of powdercoating it pink but she wants it black with pink highlights.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back