"King 'Cuda" (1972 Ross) *4-year UPDATE!*

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope. I've been working and sleeping. No time even for house chores, much less bikes. I voted for the usual 4 months. Hopefully this shorter deadline doesn't disqualify me.
Man, that really sucks.
You spend 20+ years working a military career, only to retire back to full time work.
I give you props brother, but dam.

Man, that really sucks.
You spend 20+ years working a military career, only to retire back to full time work.
I give you props brother, but dam.
Well, being the single wage earner for the family so I can raise the kids well... there's no rest for the wicked.

Alright, trying to squeeze in some time, but some major tasks have been accomplished.

Fitting the shift mounting bracket:
DAvog2.jpg

9rEDKk.jpg

Tacked it into place. No need to do any more welding than this, as it fits the stock look for how it was done at the factory.

O5nj4E.jpg

The results:

SrMO3j.jpg

vN5Ycs.jpg

Next for the shifter is to swap out the arm for the one with the handle. Also, the stops are going to be ground out to give more throw since it needs it to move the derailleur the full length of the shifting. You may remember that this is a 3-speed shifter that I'm converting for 5 speeds.

As you can see, the all the way forward position is almost straight up. The stops to the rear almost hit the console.

XSgjTM.jpg

ndWVVJ.jpg

All the way back the best this shifter can currently do is 2nd gear. So we're going to fix that.

zOU7V9.jpg

On to the most challenging part of the customization: Making a taller sissy look stock. I started with a genuine Ross sissy because they are unique and very hard to find. Luckily, JungleTerry had one. I had another sissy that was of the same diameter to use as the extension.

HZnjy6.jpg

Inserts were welded into place and the extensions attached, filled in and smoothed out.

yPGMX8.jpg

Then the bottom portions were done in the same way. It sounds easy, but there was a lot of work involved. The best part is that even before it goes to chrome, it looks like it should. I could just polish it and call it good to go... but I really need to chrome it to make it right.

MYpIJq.jpg

Looking good. Is there enough friction in the shifter to hold it in gear?
There will be. Currently the 3 speed has the ball bearing for a "click" shift, but the friction on the shifter is light because the internal 3 speed hubs really don't pull against the shifter like a 5 speed. You may remember that this assembly was riveted in place, so I can't easily change the arm. So the rivet is going to be drilled out and I'm going to figure out a why to apply some friction in there. More to come on all that.

Great work Crash! That shifter looks perfect!
So the rivet is going to be drilled out and I'm going to figure out a why to apply some friction in there. More to come on all that.
Bolt with a nylock and some fibre washers?

Luke.

CRASH, for the shifter you need washers like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/530-015254-...238315?hash=item23616ab46b:g:lvsAAOSwEetV9HfR

Both Schwinn and Shimano 5-Speed friction shifters use washers like this for tension. I don't know how your shifter all bolts together, but I would bet that if you added these on top of the arm before it is bolted down it might provide the friction you need.

Two additional things...

1. I did not research that those exact washers will work, I just knew they were called "wavy washers" and that came up. Your application might need something different somehow, larger ID or thicker washer, etc.

2. The way the Schwinn and Shimano shifters are bolted down are thin washer (felt for Schwinn) shifter handle, wavy washers, flat washer of some sort, and top nut. The wavy washers are not against the shifter base, they are after the handle.

Hope that helps!

Also, for the throw on the shifter, you will probably have to either grind the tab on the shifter base to make it thinner, and/or grind the indent on the shifter handle. Just be careful not to grind too much off on the shifter base, if you make the tab too thin, it may bust off the base.

CRASH, for the shifter you need washers like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/530-015254-...238315?hash=item23616ab46b:g:lvsAAOSwEetV9HfR

Both Schwinn and Shimano 5-Speed friction shifters use washers like this for tension. I don't know how your shifter all bolts together, but I would bet that if you added these on top of the arm before it is bolted down it might provide the friction you need.

Two additional things...

1. I did not research that those exact washers will work, I just knew they were called "wavy washers" and that came up. Your application might need something different somehow, larger ID or thicker washer, etc.

2. The way the Schwinn and Shimano shifters are bolted down are thin washer (felt for Schwinn) shifter handle, wavy washers, flat washer of some sort, and top nut. The wavy washers are not against the shifter base, they are after the handle.

Hope that helps!
Saw a drawer of 'wavy washers' at Ace Hardware down the street yesterday as I was perusing parts for a build I'm working on. Good to know a specific application for bike builds with these!

Contrary to popular belief, I am not dead, and I am still in this contest. However, due to the depth I normally catalog my builds, I haven't had the time to keep up on cataloging. So... I'm just working in small increments when I can when I have time. My new job (from this year vice last year) keeps me busy, so I've had to really scramble.

I'll tell you that currently:

Frame is ready for paint. Will spray on my next day off (Tuesday)

I have some polishing.

I have to paint the console.

I have to finish the shifter modifications.

I have to finish the tires.

I have to assemble.

Don't be surprised if I just post a completed bike all of a sudden. But I bought the paint and it brought a tear to my eye. The color is a gorgeous 70's looking gold/green.

Latest posts

Back