"King 'Cuda" (1972 Ross) *4-year UPDATE!*

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Remember Alice in Wonderland, when she had to take a bite of the cake labeled "Eat Me" to grow? I'm feeding some cake to a bike to make it bigger.

tzfqot.png

This is a 1972 Ross Barracuda. It's a 20" 3-speed bike. I love this particular picture, and have loved this bike for years. This year I'm going to build one for myself... just bigger. And while the Barracuda only came in 3-speed, the "King 'Cuda" will be a 5-speed because A) I love 5 speeds, and B) a bigger version deserves 2 more gear options.

aZYzhr.jpg

This project started in January when an RRB member offered me a Coast King Commander, a 26" cruiser with a Barracuda looking frame. Ross built them. This is how the bike came originally.

s1kAY3.jpg

My goal is to stay as authentic as I possibly can, using actual Ross parts, or parts that at least look the part. You may know JungleTerry? Terry has well over 50 Ross Barracuda's in his collection. He has been instrumental in helping me source parts, and pick the correct ones specifically for the year I'm building. Hopefully I can still rely on his guidance as I run into challenges along the way.

Last edited:
Awe man that's killer!! You've really got the eye for the cool muscle bikes CRASH. Can't believe you found that 26 frame that's an exact match. Those proportions and lines are on the money.

Where's the trademark CRASH mockup?

Alright, here we go... The first obstacle: The shifter.

The Commander's twin top bars are too close together to accommodate the shifter console.

From the front
HBAXmO.jpg

From the back
SP98Nc.jpg

I was worried my idea to spread them wouldn't work, but let's give it a try.
Hammer in a big wedge (I had to buy specifically to do this)
QmaFoU.jpg

Success!
cprJuW.jpg

ZQXQjD.jpg

That's the easy part. Here comes the hard part. From a friend (FirstYearChevelle) I obtained a shifter mount from a junked Ross Apollo. The good news is that I have a plate, which would be next to impossible to find otherwise. The bad news is, it doesn't come close to fitting. So, I'm going to have to come up with some modification ideas, then attach that to the frame.

Here's the plate on an Apollo

cZcWCR.jpg

Here's my cut one
jhb4xM.jpg

You can see how much bigger it is under the top bars.
DmjqY7.jpg

Another challenge I just figured out... Do you see this tab in the back of the console?
JW6yq4.jpg

It mounts under the lifted tab at the rear end of the plate.
Y5ObQg.jpg

nCi6Ls.jpg

That's fine on an Apollo since the console sits flush on the plate above the top bars. But on a Barracuda it won't work like that. So... I need to see what the shifter mount set up on a Barracuda looks like.

Good news: I bought a NOS shifter handle/stick. Looks real nice!

EdPDJC.jpg

lmvGSP.jpg

Bad news: The shifter I got seems to be pressed in. How on earth do you take it apart and get it back together? The ball bearing making it a 3-speed click shifter is in there. I want it out so I can have a 5-speed friction shift!

cA1BJE.jpg

b49CfH.jpg

Angle grinder or drill to remove the riveted over section, replace with a bolt, washers and a nyloc nut?

Cutting down that shifter mounting plate so it fits underneath the tubes where it should be may be your only option.

Luke.

Remember Alice in Wonderland, when she had to take a bite of the cake labeled "Eat Me" to grow? I'm feeding some cake to a bike to make it bigger.

tzfqot.png

This is a 1972 Ross Barracuda. It's a 20" 3-speed bike. I love this particular picture, and have loved this bike for years. This year I'm going to build one for myself... just bigger. And while the Barracuda only came in 3-speed, the "King 'Cuda" will be a 5-speed because A) I love 5 speeds, and B) a bigger version deserves 2 more gear options.

aZYzhr.jpg

This project started in January when an RRB member offered me a Coast King Commander, a 26" cruiser with a Barracuda looking frame. Ross built them. This is how the bike came originally.

s1kAY3.jpg

My goal is to stay as authentic as I possibly can, using actual Ross parts, or parts that at least look the part. You may know JungleTerry? Terry has well over 50 Ross Barracuda's in his collection. He has been instrumental in helping me source parts, and pick the correct ones specifically for the year I'm building. Hopefully I can still rely on his guidance as I run into challenges along the way.
Whatever you do, please DON'T mount a snow ski to the front wheel.:headbang:

Angle grinder or drill to remove the riveted over section, replace with a bolt, washers and a nyloc nut?

Cutting down that shifter mounting plate so it fits underneath the tubes where it should be may be your only option.

Luke.
I plan on cutting down that plate. I just have to figure out how I need to cut it and then exactly how to weld it on.

And an angle grinder would seriously scare me. If I ruin this... ugh

Good news: I bought a NOS shifter handle/stick. Looks real nice!

EdPDJC.jpg

lmvGSP.jpg

Bad news: The shifter I got seems to be pressed in. How on earth do you take it apart and get it back together? The ball bearing making it a 3-speed click shifter is in there. I want it out so I can have a 5-speed friction shift!

cA1BJE.jpg

b49CfH.jpg
If you want to keep it intact and remove the ball, bend the stop tab back and rotate the shifter around till the ball falls out.

Last edited:
I think that's the route I'm going to have to go, and swap the handle.

Another option would be to shift it to the other last position and then drill out the hole that it is currently in so that the ball will pass through the hole. There would be not turning back though.

After the hub I mocked up the sprocket/crank/chain guard for the first time. The chain guard was the real kicker of this build. Barracudas have a very specific look. I thought I was going to have to make a guard to fit. But with the help of FirstYearChevelle I was able to buy a donor bike in New Jersey for cheap and have all the parts sent out to California.

iiLPkN.jpg

z5uKmD.jpg

And for Chad, here's my (weak) mock up.

105v89.jpg

Another option would be to shift it to the other last position and then drill out the hole that it is currently in so that the ball will pass through the hole. There would be not turning back though.
I think if I just bend back that hold the ball will fall out. That hold wouldn't be needed anyway.

Drill out the rivit from the backside. Just center a bit close to the od of the hole as possible. You should just cut off the crimped lip knock it out with a punch in a vice opend up enough to let the rivit drop while supporting the rest of the shifter body.

Latest posts

Back