"King 'Cuda" (1972 Ross) *4-year UPDATE!*

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another option would be to shift it to the other last position and then drill out the hole that it is currently in so that the ball will pass through the hole. There would be not turning back though.
"shift it to the other last position"....I get it....

Today's Round Two...

I had the original fork, but as you can see in the original picture, it was bent back pretty good. I sent it to a friend to straighten, and he did a really good job, but I got an undamaged fork off the donor bike that is the exact same size, so I'm going to use it just to be sure that I am using a straight one. I wanted to make sure it all fit...

YALfo1.jpg

It fits fine. So I wanted to set up the front fender to see how it looks...

RvO8Ty.jpg

I'm not liking it. Of course the front is too long, but so is the back. It looks like an asphalt scraper. But I wanted to see it with the rear.

Before I can mount the rear, I need to get the rear hub squeezed in. As you can see, it's not too bad, but it needs a bit.

rtByoH.jpg

So, out comes the spreader...

Cyv90q.jpg

streeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeech....

Fnsigm.jpg

So, I overshot the mark a bit, but that's ok.

Ifv7sI.jpg

Just cinch it down

ZWAQ6M.jpg

Before the fender, a quick check for tire clearance. Usually I build the wheels first, but I haven't measured or ordered the spokes yet. :43: So I mounted the tire on the rim and checked it out... all good.

AcdeB3.jpg

Just a second after I took that picture, the tube exploded inside. I still have ringing in my ear! It was a brand new tube, so I don't know what happened.

9wnoGF.jpg

So, while deaf, I continued on... I took measurements of the frame and made adjustments to the rear fender so it fit right in.

2rnVbP.jpg

To make the front look more like the fender on the Barracuda I played with positioning.

wMPJrU.jpg

You can see the lines of where I'm going to cut it. I realized I hadn't ordered the braked, so I'll do that tonight. I need to drill in mounting holes then make sure they fit. I'll also measure for spokes tonight, but before I can do that I needed to overhaul and polish the front hub, which was seized. Now it's smooth.

2RnCYO.jpg

Here's an interesting problem. The Barracuda has a pretty specific hard to find sissy bar. I managed to find one that's close, with the top being the correct shape. But it's too short for a 26" build. So I am/was going to extend it. I found someone who had a pretty ratty sissy with the correct legs... or so I thought. I was going to weld them together at the right length and have it chromed. But... the legs are different diameter. In fact, the top fits into the legs. So... what do I do about it?

r72aVt.jpg

Here's an interesting problem. The Barracuda has a pretty specific hard to find sissy bar. I managed to find one that's close, with the top being the correct shape. But it's too short for a 26" build. So I am/was going to extend it. I found someone who had a pretty ratty sissy with the correct legs... or so I thought. I was going to weld them together at the right length and have it chromed. But... the legs are different diameter. In fact, the top fits into the legs. So... what do I do about it?

r72aVt.jpg
bolt that in there and cover the joint with springs ?

That chain guard is an awesome score @firstyearchevelle is the man!
O wonder if there was a sharp edge on a spoke hole in the rim? Did you have rim tape in there?
Sissy bar is easy, just drill through both and bolt it, you could even add extra holes to adjust the sizing up and down! :thumbsup:

bolt that in there and cover the joint with springs ?
This popped up while I was writing that^ great thinking!

Luke.

"Aw! He went to Jerald!" I was about to suggest the same thing about the popped tube on your mock-up. No rim tape = sharp edges. As for the sissy bar, I'm not sure that a lap joint is entirely a bad thing. This is class II, so just disguise it.

Sissy bar, weld it, blend it, chrome it

Looking killer already CRASH. I did the overspread on the junior last year. It will stay in that spot and spring out every time you take the axle off. Was thinking of correcting it when I tear down for paint. We can remind each other.

Short front fender in the mock up might be a good move. Might be tough to get the right look with the big one.

Put the springs inside and add a little trombone oil and you're in business...

Carl.

sent from a phonebooth...

Springer sissy is nice to have if you ride it very much and easy to do when you're chopping them up.

This might fix your "over stretch" problem. Tighten the axle in place, then place your stretching tool a little farther back than you had it. Now put some pressure on it (you might have to test it a couple times) if you get it right, the axle frame slots will stay put, plus have a better fitting angle to them.

I'm certain this bike will be fantastic. Came this close // to making an offer on Monster Ray when it became available. That was an extraordinarily nice build.

furyus

Work has been kicking my rear, not allowing me much time to work. I've got a number of things going on for this bike, but here's what I can document.

Spokes arrived! These are for 4 wheel sets. (2 are for this MBBO)

AsOtre.jpg

Which led to this...

n2dqP5.jpg

I put on the tires, and I purchased this front Duro 26x1.75 because of the tread pattern. It looked like the original. However, the sidewall doesn't give me the room I need for the project I have for it.

aRhq5h.jpg

xHIslL.jpg

So I found this tire with a smoother side wall. The tread isn't as cool, but... compromise. I've gotta clean that gray stuff off too.

vYqE46.jpg

The seat got all done!

4ZLm0T.jpg

I'm working tonight. Need to make some major progress!

Latest posts

Back