(MBBO#05 Class 2) GET SMART!

Discussion in 'MBBO 2016 BIKES' started by The Renaissance Man, Aug 31, 2016.

1. Chad T

Chad T

Bummer on the paint peel but like what you got going on there with the black.

Thank you for the stickers!! Put one right on the old tool box. Never get tired of staring at the Decoluxe.

trm.jpg

2. The Renaissance Man

The Renaissance Man __CERTIFIED DIVER__ (Open Water & Open Dumpster) Pro Member

Thanks guys. I touched it up and it's not noticeable at all unless you're looking very close.
    Glad you like the stickers Chad!

Here's a tip that I discovered. The front tire was very tight going on the rim so when I started to take it back off for paint, it was giving me a terrible fight. It occurred to me that I wouldn't be able to pry it back on without scrapping some paint from the edge of the rim so I decided that it would be best to leave it on the rim.
    So I deflated the tire, tucked some tape behind the edge and then painted it. After the paint dried I removed the tape and re-inflated the tire. Easy!
    101_2208.jpg

3. Muttley

Muttley

Here's a screen capture from one of my posts on the HAMB, it's a great alternative to taping up the tire and having to deal with the sticky residue......................

[​IMG]

4. The Renaissance Man

I used painters tape and didn't have any residue problems but I'm sure the cards would work great also. Did you inflate the tire to hold the cards in place?

OneHorsePower and LukeTheJoker like this.
  5. The Renaissance Man

The taller apes that I got from American Vintage Bicycle Supply are just what I needed! There's no need for the tall stem now, so I chose this adjustable alloy one. It looks very similar to the crank arms and the adjustability is a bonus.

I decided that since this is a wheelie bike, the extra length of the steer tube on the fork would help keep the stress down from yanking back on the bars. So I made a spacer from aluminum tubing to make up the difference in the length. It's essentially a tall washer. It visually matches the thick alloy seat tube also.

101_2216.jpg

6. franconuevo

franconuevo

ahh...there's that kickstand...we're using the same one alright. thanks for the 'mounting' tip. :happy:
    I like the way it splays out like that
    :thumbsup:
    F.

The Renaissance Man likes this.
  7. LukeTheJoker

LukeTheJoker Moderator

Good tips on wheel painting right there! I usually use a piece of cardboard, but I think the playing cards might be worth a try on the rear wheels of the trike!

Luke.

Chad T and The Renaissance Man like this.
  8. RustySprockets

RustySprockets

I'm thinking that a short length of poly cord could be wedged in-between the deflated tire bead and the rim, thereby holding the rubber and any masking paper away from the area to be painted. Same idea as the playing cards, but you'll have to decide for yourselves which is easier. Call it my rope trick.

9. OneHorsePower

OneHorsePower

That orange !! Perrrrrrfect !! and the black graphic compliment it nicely:113:

10. The Renaissance Man

These build-off competitions are great for hurrying up and finishing but they also cause you to hurry up to finish.:wondering:

In my haste to finish up I decided to skip a step on the sissy bar. During the mock-up test rides I used a couple of clamps for the seat mounts and had planned to make some permanent mounting tabs later. With time running out I thought the clamps would be good enough.

I finished reassembling everything last night and took it out for the first test ride. It didn't make it out of the driveway before they slid down. I tried tightening them more but it didn't help.

So now I get to take it back apart and get these tabs welded on tomorrow. Should've done it from the start.:blackeye:
    101_2223.JPG

11. LukeTheJoker

LukeTheJoker Moderator

It will be better in the long run though!

Luke.

12. Muttley

Muttley

No, they were fine with no air but keep in mind the sidewall of a car tire is much stiffer than a bicycle tire is.

13. The Renaissance Man

The graphics for the chain guard was taken from the bikes logo on the original livery.
    This is how the original logo looked:
    [​IMG]

I updated it a little and added the X in the star since it is now an 'X-SmartBike' from the short lived bicycle sharing program in Washington DC.
    101_2220.jpg

RustyGold, OddJob, tjwilson and 10 others like this.
  14. The Renaissance Man

The seat mounting tabs are now at one with the sissy bar.
    The much hated body work is done. The prime/wet sand and paint is done. The re-do is done!
    This is the only picture I stopped to take today.
    101_2228.jpg

FINAL final assembly will hopefully be done tomorrow.:whew:

15. pholTmonx

pholTmonx

AKA... the not so smart bike??

16. LukeTheJoker

LukeTheJoker Moderator

Love the chain guard decal design!

Luke.

17. The Renaissance Man

Thanks Luke.
    (It's actually silk screened directly onto the guard.)

OddJob, QUEASY RIDER and LukeTheJoker like this.
  18. LukeTheJoker

LukeTheJoker Moderator

Even better!

Luke.

The Renaissance Man likes this.
  19. The Renaissance Man

DONE!!!
    Here's the last revision:
    101_2230.jpg

Now I have to get a wheelie video!:)

20. Falstaff

Falstaff

Hope yours goes better than my last attempt :blackeye: