(MBBO#05 Class 2) ★★★ ¡ʇdᴉɹɔs ǝɥʇ dᴉlℲ ★★★ (SOLD to finance exciting new venture!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can i suggest maybe even welding them in and cutting out the mount and some housing around it. As i belive you'd still run into same issue with getting cliper and mount around the disk. Same as u stated would do, but, weld in a flang you could bolt the piece back into. This way you can rear load it onto the disc.
Seems like a reasonable amount of "extra" work to give yourself a bit of break on assembly. Id weld in the mount and drill out bolt holes. Id cut out the 2 sides w a cut off outside those holes. Then id drill and tap a flange for inside housing, bolt it up and tack in place. Cut loose the top and bottom of the doors. Even making cable guides enter through there could look cool. Minimal fab lots of variables and could look very intentional / would look cool along with the dual drive chains.
*spelling... sure its still bad but not make eyes bleed bad.. srry.
** oops the drives are symetrical not the disks my bad... again luke is miles ahead..
Get em dude:thumbsup:
You certainly have me thinking @pholTmonx, I had designed a bolt in set up, but by the time I get around to doing the work I may decide to go with your idea!
Wow nice work. Moving right along with this. Great idea on the bolt-in flanges. Might want to ad an extra long barrel screw somewhere on the cable for a little more adjustment range.
Yep, definitely doing that. There will be extra barrel adjusters under the frame where the cable splits from 2 into 1... :thumbsup:
Thanks Kel!

No actual work today, took my wife to the dentist and now I am just sitting down with some old sketches and Paint.net to try and come up with a cool frame design...

Luke.

Just realised with my new frame design the brakes can't be placed yet as I have no idea where the diff mounts will go, or how they will work... :confused:

Guess my next step is to reassemble the diff so can get measurements and build a frame! Was not expecting to be doing the frame yet...

Here is my starting point:

2016-09-13 15.22.14.jpg

This could be my first ever flip bike, but there will not be much recognisable about this frame by the time I am done with it! :21:

Luke.

I went a bit crazy with the grinding wheel! :13:

Here is all that will be used from that frame:

2016-09-13 18.56.55.jpg

Then added 2 feet to the length:

2016-09-13 18.57.37.jpg

Then cut that in half:

2016-09-13 18.58.05.jpg

Added a curve to the lower section:

2016-09-13 18.58.24.jpg

Then cut that off, and split the top tube again:

2016-09-13 18.58.46.jpg

Lots more in the coming days, lots of work in this frame! :confused:

Luke.

I went a bit crazy with the grinding wheel! :13:

Here is all that will be used from that frame:

View attachment 33997

Then added 2 feet to the length:

View attachment 33996

Then cut that in half:

View attachment 33995

Added a curve to the lower section:

View attachment 33994

Then cut that off, and split the top tube again:

View attachment 33993

Lots more in the coming days, lots of work in this frame! :confused:

Luke.

Ohh Yeah!!
with the tittle, a flipped frame had to be involved :nod:

I think i see the vision already:nerd: , that's gonna be Epic!

with the tittle, a flipped frame had to be involved :nod:!
Actually, it was just flip the script because I was building a trike, never thought about frame style before this week, and only dragged that old frame out of the pile yesterday! :21: It works though! :thumbsup:
It wouldn't be a LTJ build if there was! :grin:
Yeah, it is going to be something... Hopefully my plans work!

Luke.

Of course it's different than any other bike on the planet...which is why I love your builds Luke.
But what makes me absolutely crazy is all of the 'little' machined parts and fittings that you invent and build, part machinist...part mad scientist....

All of those 'little' machined details must take enormous amounts of time and patience....I mean, just the first couple of pages of parts you machined on this thread would take me about 3 months to do...and then I'd just throw them at the wall anyway cuz they would just be twisted blobs of metal....haha :43:

I' still trying to figure out how you cut a propane tank in half....symmetrically....I mean, if you use a cut off wheel, it's gonna walk all over the place...

Well then.....that's why your secrets are your own
often imitated, never duplicated.. that's right, that's what I'm sayin here....
wd.jpg

this is a TV chair that Luke made when he was bored one day

:thumbsup::thumbsup:
franco

Of course it's different than any other bike on the planet...which is why I love your builds Luke.
But what makes me absolutely crazy is all of the 'little' machined parts and fittings that you invent and build, part machinist...part mad scientist....

All of those 'little' machined details must take enormous amounts of time and patience....I mean, just the first couple of pages of parts you machined on this thread would take me about 3 months to do...and then I'd just throw them at the wall anyway cuz they would just be twisted blobs of metal....haha :43:

I' still trying to figure out how you cut a propane tank in half....symmetrically....I mean, if you use a cut off wheel, it's gonna walk all over the place...

Well then.....that's why your secrets are your own
often imitated, never duplicated.. that's right, that's what I'm sayin here....
View attachment 34033
this is a TV chair that Luke made when he was bored one day

:thumbsup::thumbsup:
franco
:21:
Thanks Franco!

I did two weeks of fitting and machining training as part of my apprenticeship, and I really enjoy it, I'm still an amateur at it and my tools are basic, but they do what I need them too! :thumbsup:

Cutting that tank in half was really easy actually, it had a weld seam right down the middle! I just sat the cutting disc in the groove and rolled the tank as it cut... Took less than a minute, but it took an hour to get the powdercoat off and destroyed my wire wheel in the process, time to get a replacement!

A lot of these ideas have been brewing for many years, I have maybe 10 notepads with sketches and about 1,000 'ideas' photos saved on my computer, I'm not doing anything that has never been done before, just trying to use other ideas in different ways to get a cool outcome, bikes are a cool place to use ideas, because you can borrow from so many other fields, cars, motorbikes, planes, boats... ;)

Luke.

Today was a very enjoyable day!

I headed out to work with only a very basic plan and decided to just make it up as I went along, it worked great and now I have just about the whole thing planned out!

Nothing like a little freestyle fabrication!

Started by cutting the back off the piece I made last time, just decided I didn't like it... Welded on an extension and a tighter curved piece, then flipped it over and marked out the seat base on some sheet steel, cut the steel out and tacked it on:

2016-09-14 17.12.12.jpg

Then formed up the seat base surround out of 3/4" flat bar:

2016-09-14 17.12.28.jpg

Made a filler panel, used magnets to hold it in place for tacking:

2016-09-14 17.12.44.jpg

After welding and the first round of clean up: (I will do 90% clean up on all the parts I do until I have a basic frame done and know I wont be making more changes.)

2016-09-14 17.13.02.jpg

Then bent up a filler panel for the rear behind the seat, welded that in and cleaned it up 90% too:

2016-09-14 17.13.20.jpg

At this point I realised I had some tail-lights from a few builds back that never got used, usually I would work on them later, but my biggest regret from the 'Pedro' build was not integrating the tail-lights more into the build, to me they always looked like a little bit of an afterthought, so this time I decided to do the basic fitting as I went.

Cut some holes, welded in some tube, cleaned it up and tested the tail-lights in the holes:

2016-09-14 17.13.56.jpg

2016-09-14 17.14.46.jpg

While I was doing all that today, I was able to come up with the rest of the basic frame design, so there should be some more good progress in the coming days, probably not tomorrow though, pretty sure the amount of work today will be back to haunt my muscles and joints, BUT, it was worth it! :113:

Luke.

A lot of these ideas have been brewing for many years, I have maybe 10 notepads with sketches and about 1,000 'ideas' photos saved on my computer, I'm not doing anything that has never been done before, just trying to use other ideas in different ways to get a cool outcome, bikes are a cool place to use ideas, because you can borrow from so many other fields, cars, motorbikes, planes, boats... ;)

Luke.
Glad iam not alone like this :rolleyes:

Wow luke that is some amazing work on the seat with lights and everything :rockout::praise:

Lookin good Luke, I'm envisioning a VW style trike.:113:
I had not thought of that, but there may be some influences...
Love those recessed lights
:thumbsup: Oh, yeah! Me too!
Looks good!
Thanks TRM!
Looks good brother!

Carl.
Thanks Carl!
Glad iam not alone like this :rolleyes:

Wow luke that is some amazing work on the seat with lights and everything :rockout::praise:
:thumbsup: Thanks 1HP!
geez, I just got it that it's the seat..with inboard lights...haha...
Doh'
that's fantastic.
:thumbsup:
Glad you are liking it Franco!

Not doing any work on the bike today, just refining the design ideas from yesterday in my head...

Oh, and checking out all the other cool builds!
:forum:
Some really cool stuff happening this year, looks like the MBBO has hit it's stride!

Luke.

Latest posts

Back