I like it!I like the new digs Luke! The OUTBACK40...?
Dual wheel drive!
Your guess was correct, just maybe not the way you imagined! Glad you like the diff pumpkin, I was laughing in my head when I was trying to figure out what to use for it and saw that old tank!That was my guess back on page 2. Guess I should have read the whole thread first! Sounds cool. The whole tank conversion to mock diff really ups the ante on the 'rat roddiness' of this build. Full speed ahead!
Maybe I should draw up some diagrams to show how it should work...That's amazing! I saw the whole thread and I read I again and again and again... and I still don't understand. .. you sir, are a genuis!!
I had to come up with something new for this year!I didn't see that one coming! I was at least partially right about the tank being a cover, but never considered a differential for dual rear wheels! I believe you've found a way to raise an already high bar into the stratosphere!
It's clear that everyone else in class 2 can now start focusing on second place (at best) in the voting!
Thanks 1HP! That early Ford banjo style diff like in your pic is what got me thinking about a bolted together split gas tank for the centre section, and the tapered steam pipe adaptors on the axle tubes!I knew it ! Thats just awesome luke!!
Front wheel will be a standard 20" BMX rim with a whitewall, I have found that having heavy tires and wheels on the back of a bike is fine, but you have to be much more careful with rake angles if you go heavy on the front too!now iam really curious about what wheel is going up front
I will try and keep it entertaining!Didn't see that coming, I thought you were building a boiler for a steam engine.
An LTJ trike, definitely subscribed.
One of the most insanely cool ideas ever brother!I remade the video, they are not as loud or as clear toned as they were before the stuff was welded to them ,but it does give you an idea:
Did quite a bit of work today, including a lot of math and figuring dimensions out.
Started by cutting a bottom bracket in half and welding the halves into the uncut steam pipe adaptors:
View attachment 33413
Then extended two bottom bracket axles, one by 95mm, the other by 110mm:
View attachment 33412
All welded up:
View attachment 33414
Then I had to work out how far the bottom brackets needed to extend into the propane tank piece, here is where many mock-up's and the math was involved because the freewheels are offset due to the brake discs, which moves the axles closer to one side than the other:
View attachment 33415
Worked out that on the left side, the bottom bracket needed to protrude into the tank by 20mm, so I placed a stack of steel under the hole and measured until it was right:
View attachment 33416
View attachment 33417
Tacked on top, then welded on the inside (Still smoking in the pic):
View attachment 33418
Repeat the process for the other side, but this time it needed to go in 35mm, same story, here it is finished:
View attachment 33419
Then cut the excess bottom bracket sleeves from the outside and tacked the two cut down steam pipe adaptors over the holes in the tank halves:
View attachment 33420
Assembled the axles in the holes to measure how much pipe was needed to fill the gap:
View attachment 33421
Both sides came to 15mm, I was very happy at this moment, because them being the same meant my math was correct!
By the way, have you worked it out yet?
Cut two pieces of pipe at 15mm, pulled the axles back out and removed the bearing cups from the bottom brackets, then bolted the tank halves back together and slid a piece of 1" tube through to ensure everything was perfectly straight:
View attachment 33422
Tacked every joint:
View attachment 33423
View attachment 33424 View attachment 33425
Here is a last photo showing the parts all together in case you are still struggling to work it out:
View attachment 33426
That was a big day's work! Pretty sure I will be taking it easy tomorrow, but I may assemble the whole contraption with the wheels and all and snap some pics, because all this has been in my head for months and I just want to see it all together!
Shhh, don't give my wife ideas!Awe man missed the mystery part. That is so cool. I was thinking rock tumbler..
Thanks King!One of the most insanely cool ideas ever brother!
I figured like you that it would be obvious by that point, and everyone would get it, so no problems Man!Is awsome dude. Sorry wasnt trying give it away.. i thought for sure was a given... i guess uve read to many of yiur messages in threads so i knew ud been thinkering about it
Still a long way to go on this build-off and build!Okie Dokie, so Class 2 is all wrapped up. Guess I'll get back to work on my Class 1 bike.
Thanks!You're good crazy and talented, Luke.
if the axels are not to far from each other in there , you could make a faux gasket/spacer place between the 2 halfs and mount the caliper on both sides of that .Still need to mount the brake calipers somehow, not looking forward to trying to figure that out!