Discussion in 'MBBO 2016 BIKES' started by LukeTheJoker, Aug 31, 2016.
Looks good from here :
Thanks everyone! Glad you are liking it!
The 'Paint With Pearl' people recommended the smaller flake, and I was a bit dubious to be honest, but the results are amazing!
Wanted to do the lights today, but still can't find my soldering iron, so spent some time on other parts of the build.
Cut the wheel backing discs and got them in primer. (Forgot to get pics!)
Then I started shaping the foam on the panels, used a sanding disc on a grinder to start and then finished sanding by hand, pretty happy with the results:
Then I went to work wrapping the vinyl on, had no worries with the side panels, but I got it a bit hot on the front of the seat using a heat gun and accidentally tore a little hole, so had to strip it and recover. The vinyl is pretty soft, so it doesn't take much to mess it up with the heat gun, got it right the second time no worries, used less heat so it is not as smooth on the corners as the first attempt, but they will be down inside the frame and never seen...
A shot to show the pattern:
Of course I had to try a panel on the frame!
Going to look good!
Panels look great! Those corners aren't easy. Now find that soldering iron and GTS..."GIT TA SOLDERING"...
Getting close! Can't wait to see this one.
My three tone paint and bandana banana will have nothing on your metal flake and diamond quilt.
Gonna look good when finished.
Wait... 3 Tone? Looking forward to seeing it!
I love your seat by the way!
Guess what i found?
That's right! I found my soldering iron and solder!
Going to do up a 'How To' thread on my method for these ones, but here is the result:
Not sure if I will run the flasher board or not, will depend on if I can figure how to mount it.
They will also get much brighter, only running on watch batteries in that pic and video...
Edit: Here is a link to the 'HowTo': http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/another-led-light-conversion-howto.101201/
It may go unnoticed to those not keeping score, so I'd like to point out and applaud you for aligning the stitching pattern with the top edge of the panels and directly centering it on the saddle.
It's that type of attention to detail that separates the men from the boys. Well done!
Thanks for noticing!
I used twice as much vinyl because of that, but your comment made it worth it!
Getting close now!
Fitted up the rear wheel covers:
Used an idea @Muttley posted on TRM's thread and used playing cards to mask the tires so I could spray the wheels:
Thanks Muttley, great result!:
Also sprayed the cranks and some small items at the same time.
Then I moved on to trying to clean up the old front rim I wanted to use, turned out it was too far gone, so I will use the alloy rim that I have been using for mock-up's just have to change the tire across to the whitewall.
That was pretty much all the stuff I could do before reassembly started...
Started with axles and brakes, had to guess on cable length, got it pretty close but I am going to have to disassemble it again to tighten them after they bed in a little, so they are good enough for the moment:
It is complicated to assemble, everything has to be done in the right order!
Slowly getting there, but it won't get finished today.
Decided I am going to add a plywood packer under the seat to get it looking higher too, it looks too small recessed so far into the frame...
Getting closer to the finished thread, good thing too, only 4 days left!
Love that purple!
Assembly is going well, I decided to redo the seat again, was not happy with the corners, got it better this time, also decided not to add the seat frame packers, it looks good where it is.
Got a few teaser pics as I was going...
Whitewall on the front, shame about the old chrome rim, but this Weinmann alloy suits well enough:
Finished up wiring the lights, decided to just run a standard on/off switch in the end, figured it was better suited to the style of the build.
Rear lights in:
Switch viewed from inside the frame:
And outside under the frame, it runs neatly with the brake cables either side, you can also see the wires for the front light dropping out in the right hand top corner of this photo, the hole in between is the tube that the seat bolt runs up inside:
As you can see the panels are on, also got the seat on after finishing with the lights, and then had to test run:
Added a little pull tab at the front of the seat, it is a snug fit and almost impossible to remove otherwise:
One final teaser shot for tonight:
Love that vinyl with the purple!
Cool white seats with purple are looking good. A lot of work to get the final together. Almost there.
+1 unreal !
Finished the assembly today, but found out I made an error when I re-welded the adjustment post on the bottom bracket, so I will have to remake the two flat bars slightly longer. Annoying, but no big deal, small job, should be able to do it tomorrow.
I did get some pics and will post up a finished thread though.
Will get more pics when the new bars are on.
I added a watermark to the pics this year as pics from last year are turning up everywhere on the net with no mention of who built it or where to see the build threads, I figure with 'LukeTheJoker' on it, people should be able to manage both through Google.
Finished thread is up!
Good idea on marking the pics, might bring some new members to the site.
I noticed Kildare did that on all his as well. Probably a good idea to have a logo / indicator on our pics from here on out. Also help in the archived photos on this site so we old guys can remember who built what....
Separate names with a comma.