(MBBO#05 Class 1) 69' Fastback 100 - That's a Canadian Chopper eh?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last time we spoke, I was having a sissy bar dilemma. Well, in an interesting turn of events, I won $5000 for best costume at a Halloween party and decided that was enough of a reason to splurge on the expensive nice shiny new sissy bar from the UK. I just hope it gets here in time.
chucky.Jpeg

♪♫Every time I go to the mailbox, gotta hold myself down.
Cuz, I just can't wait for these parts to be coming around.
I'm running out of sunshine, whoa whoa. ♪♫

So I'm still at a bit of a stand still. Frame is not back from powder coat. I did make some sample decals, so they are ready to go. I'm waiting for the following parts in the mail:

Sissy Bar
Sissy bar spacers
Shifter stickers (should have been here weeks ago, seller said he'd send another set. I'm pessimistic)

I think I have everything else. It's just a matter of putting this thing together.

In the mean time I've been playing around with some ideas for muscle bike accessories. I have a good selection of vintage radios, and headlamps that I may add to this build, but I also like the idea of attaching an old transistor radio to some of my bikes.

I ordered some handlebar clamps that I thought I would use for attachment purposes, but again, I'm waiting by the mailbox. A ha!! The 3d printer!!

I won this thing a few years ago for the school and while I'm off work I brought it home to revive it since it wasn't working properly. Success!! I modeled my clamp after the bottom clamps that come with the old Archer Road Patrol radios. The following pics show what I came up with. What do you think?

The radio attaches to the clamp via dovetail. Can you tell I'm a woodworker? The attachment piece is simply super glued to the radio backing so that the radio can come on and off the bike. This is useful for changing the battery and taking the radio with you, which is how the vintage radios were designed to be used. I have some other parts coming, and I'd like to modify some other radios to work as bluetooth speakers.

I call them Rat Rod Radios.... obviously!

rhino.jpg

IMG_5405.JPG

IMG_5406.JPG IMG_5411.JPG IMG_5412.JPG IMG_5413.JPG IMG_5414.JPG IMG_5416.JPG IMG_5417.JPG IMG_5418.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5403.JPG
    IMG_5403.JPG
    211.2 KB · Views: 306
Sweet radio and mount! That's cool. We used to rubber band them to our bars in the '60s. And your vintage bluetooth speaker idea is def an idea that would sell! I use my Bose Soundlink Mini inside an old tabletop radio housing in The BACK40. Sounds especially cool with jazz pouring forth....
20160820_123155.jpg

Last time we spoke, I was having a sissy bar dilemma. Well, in an interesting turn of events, I won $5000 for best costume at a Halloween party and decided that was enough of a reason to splurge on the expensive nice shiny new sissy bar from the UK. I just hope it gets here in time.
View attachment 36929
Man, we gotta see that costume!

Sweet radio and mount! That's cool. I We used to rubber band them to our bars in the '60s. And your vintage bluetooth speaker idea is def an idea that would sell! I use my Bose Soundlink Mini inside an old tabletop radio housing in The BACK40. Sounds especially cool with jazz pouring forth....
View attachment 37500
The radio is excellent. Had a transistor on my bars back in the day, too. Whenever I hear "My Love" by the Wings I remember riding one summer evening looking at the stars and being free. Great memory. Great build.

furyus

I have been wondering when 3D printed parts would start to turn up on the site!
Nice work!

I saw a video today of a 3D printer that prints in steel, (Basically it is a computer controlled combined mig welder and small end mill) can you imagine the parts we could come up with? :13:

Luke.

I think I need sign up for night classes at Pasadena again... They have the raddest labs to access and materials library.. been like 9 years time go again.

Man, we gotta see that costume!

Over the last 7 years I have been making halloween costumes. It's as time consuming as building a bike and just as much fun. I've managed to win quite a few prizes and a lot of cash. Now, I'm just re-using old costumes for new contests and spending more time building bikes.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Building-a-Toy-Story-vs-Childs-Play-Halloween-Co/
http://www.instructables.com/id/Ultimate-Beetlejuice-Sandworm-Costume/
http://www.instructables.com/id/Evil-Krusty-vs-Simpsons-Couch-Costume-Treehouse-of/

Very cool costumes. We LOVE Halloween. My wife and I have won a few contests as well, but that was a while ago. Before digital cameras.

Sweet radio and mount! That's cool. We used to rubber band them to our bars in the '60s. And your vintage bluetooth speaker idea is def an idea that would sell! I use my Bose Soundlink Mini inside an old tabletop radio housing in The BACK40. Sounds especially cool with jazz pouring forth....
View attachment 37500

I hope that you're right, because I'm slowly building an inventory of parts to make and sell some radios. The hard part will be letting them go. I just have to make more than the number of bikes I own, which could take me some time. I have a lot of bikes. And..the three little parts for the first radio mount I made took two and half hours to print. Technically you can click print and come back and everything should be okay, but if you're not around when the plastic curls up around the nozzle or stops feeding your print is quickly ruined. I printed a 5 hour part once, only to have it fail in the last half hour. Bike building and 3d printing teach you patience.

Very cool costumes. We LOVE Halloween. My wife and I have won a few contests as well, but that was a while ago. Before digital cameras.
I also LOVE Halloween. I have so many ideas for costumes and not enough time to build them all. Starting to have the same problem with bikes. I'll just keep building though. Perhaps a Halloween costume that incorporates a bike is in my future.

I saw a video today of a 3D printer that prints in steel, (Basically it is a computer controlled combined mig welder and small end mill) can you imagine the parts we could come up with? :13:

Luke.
I work for a company that builds large 3D printers...one of the printers being developed uses powdered metal. It essentially prints in stainless steel :nod:...I've seen some of the samples, and it is pretty cool.

Jason

Still waiting for my frame to be back from powder coating(pretty important part of the build). Added some more prizes to the prize pool, and today, my shifter decal finally showed up in the mail!!!!! The seller had to send a replacement because the first one definitely did not arrive as scheduled and I was getting worried the second one wouldn't either. Anyway, the shifter body is in pretty good shape. I just needed some new stickers. The plastic gear viewer was pretty old and yellow, but I replaced it with one I had from another shifter. I used a bit of goo gone to get rid of the old adhesive and just had to cut out a little rectangle for the plastic gear window. The sticker is meant for a raleigh tomahawk, but works perfectly for this application. The lines are going the opposite way from the original, but those details don't bother me. It looks great!!

IMG_5490.JPG
IMG_5491.JPG IMG_5492.JPG IMG_5493.JPG IMG_5494.JPG
IMG_5495.JPG
IMG_5496.JPG IMG_5497.JPG IMG_5498.JPG
IMG_5499.JPG

Well. There is a very strong likelihood that my bike will not be assembled by the 1st of Dec. The guy that does my powder coating doesn't think he can squeeze it in. He's a great guy and it's my fault for starting late and not getting him the frame until mid October. He was away hunting and now has family coming to move his mother to an apartment. My first build off and I guess I'm learning the best lesson. Start on time and plan accordingly.

Fingers crossed that somehow he gets it done, but I told him that his family comes first.

Latest posts

Back