MBBO #04! Voting time!

LukeTheJoker

Nov 17, 2012
Broken Hill, Australia
www.ratrodbikes.com
Got a special order tire in today for my build, think I have almost everything needed now, just need a little more 7/8 tubing for the handlebars...

Bring on Sept 1!

Luke.

Jan 6, 2013
Spokane
I have a 78 Mongoose Motomag frame. Someone decided it needed a kick stand so they welded a bracket on. I am not destroying a national treasure to get that out of the way. I am thinking of revisiting early bmx but in reverse. Lots of converted stingrays and Huffys when I was a kid. The conversion was getting rid of the slicks and the fenders and the banana and the ape hangers. How about I added those things to a period BMX frame?
Slick, 5 speed, 26" skinny on long stretched out forks. Without changing the frame, except maybe removing the kick stand bracket.

Reactions: LukeTheJoker
Nov 20, 2014
New Mexico
I'm in on this. Im a prewar guy with no knowledge of muscle bikes at all but what the heck why not try.i wanted to do a bike for my daughter anyways. So can I ask cause I don't know, does a 60s girls frame fall into this category?? I understand the rear wheel apes and seat, so as long as I have those qualities does it matter if it's a girls frame?

Apr 18, 2015
central ohio
I'm in on this. Im a prewar guy with no knowledge of muscle bikes at all but what the heck why not try.i wanted to do a bike for my daughter anyways. So can I ask cause I don't know, does a 60s girls frame fall into this category?? I understand the rear wheel apes and seat, so as long as I have those qualities does it matter if it's a girls frame?
Nope,just has to meet the requirements for the build.
Most companies that built muscle bikes also built girls versions. For example,my favorite muscle bike is the Iverson dragstripper. I have a 20" boys and 26" girls that I'll one day do gender reassignment surgery on.
I know Iverson isn't the best bike,but I really like the exhaust pipe frame.

LukeTheJoker

Nov 17, 2012
Broken Hill, Australia
www.ratrodbikes.com
I have a 78 Mongoose Motomag frame. Someone decided it needed a kick stand so they welded a bracket on. I am not destroying a national treasure to get that out of the way. I am thinking of revisiting early bmx but in reverse. Lots of converted stingrays and Huffys when I was a kid. The conversion was getting rid of the slicks and the fenders and the banana and the ape hangers. How about I added those things to a period BMX frame?
Slick, 5 speed, 26" skinny on long stretched out forks. Without changing the frame, except maybe removing the kick stand bracket.
Interesting!
Hey can I start tonight and finish on Christmas eve?

Merle. :crazy:
I am sure no one will mind if you finish on the 24th of Dec instead of Jan 1, but you still need to wait till Sept 1 to start! Very confident of you to lose yourself 6 days off the end there... :p
Nope,just has to meet the requirements for the build.
Most companies that built muscle bikes also built girls versions. For example,my favorite muscle bike is the Iverson dragstripper. I have a 20" boys and 26" girls that I'll one day do gender reassignment surgery on.
I know Iverson isn't the best bike,but I really like the exhaust pipe frame.
Falstaff is spot on! We really don't care what frame you use, just as long as it fits the 2 out of 3 rule...

Luke.

Apr 18, 2015
central ohio
I'm still not sure I'll have time to finish this,but just in case I'll ask.

I've gathered most of my parts,I'm just having trouble finding bars. I plan to use a threadless fork,I learned from experience that old apes don't fit in a bmx style clamp. So the question is what handlebar size do I need? 1" 7/8" ? I don't know handlebars.

LukeTheJoker

Nov 17, 2012
Broken Hill, Australia
www.ratrodbikes.com
I'm still not sure I'll have time to finish this,but just in case I'll ask.

I've gathered most of my parts,I'm just having trouble finding bars. I plan to use a threadless fork,I learned from experience that old apes don't fit in a bmx style clamp. So the question is what handlebar size do I need? 1" 7/8" ? I don't know handlebars.
BMX use a 7/8" clamp normally, most apes are 1"...
An MTB clamp might be your best bet, still readily available in threadless, but uses 1" clamp size... :thumbsup:

Luke.

Reactions: Falstaff
Nov 20, 2014
New Mexico
Kool thanks fellas. Well I'm in this should be a fun time. I don't even plan on being a contender but still I love this website :) I've spent all day at work looking at muscle bikes trying to get an idea of them. I got a garage and house full of awesome prewars but this is new to me so expect lots of questions from me lol.

Jun 11, 2012
Visalia, CA
Welcome. While I haven't done one in a MBBO yet (You can see my daughter's Fair Lady in the link in my sig) I do plan on doing a one-off for my daughter in MBBO5 next year. It'll be a 24", and she's barely riding a 20", so I have literally have years till I "need" to build it.

Nov 20, 2014
New Mexico
Welcome. While I haven't done one in a MBBO yet (You can see my daughter's Fair Lady in the link in my sig) I do plan on doing a one-off for my daughter in MBBO5 next year. It'll be a 24", and she's barely riding a 20", so I have literally have years till I "need" to build it.
Yea I have a 24" 1961 girls frame I was thinking about, but another member on here recently gave my oldest daughter a brand new bike, so I'm gonna build this one for my 8 year old. Metalchewey hooked her up with the bones and wheels to an original paint 1968 schwinn frame. It's only a 16" bike but I'm sure I can do something with that. I havent even done a mock up yet, once this starts I can start throwing some different wheel sizes on and get an idea of what I want to do. I doubt she will help lol she's pretty girly but my 10 year old helped me build a '51 Chevy and a lot of bikes so this should be a fun time.we are moving to New Mexico so this will give me something to do in a new city where I don't know anyone haha.

LukeTheJoker

Nov 17, 2012
Broken Hill, Australia
www.ratrodbikes.com
Heads up! Crash is already planning for MBBO#05! o_O

Just kidding! Cool that we have this much of a following happening!

Luke.

Reactions: Kevin Kanouff
Jul 9, 2015
MN
That's funny I'm also planning my build for my daughter. Girls getting muscle bikes.

On a side note I just picked this up as a donor bike, but it looks complete. I would hate to part it out if anyone was interested in it.

Mar 26, 2012
Fairless Hills, PA
Currently the only muscle bike project I have available is this girls Royal Sport. I haven't put much thought into it other than possibly doing a gender bender.
I have been searching for the correct chain guard for it but have had no luck. This is a rare bike in the US as it was built in West Germany.

kingfish254

CHECK OUT MY SALE THREAD FOR COOL STUFF!
Pro Member
Aug 31, 2009
Historic Savannah
www.ratrodbikes.com
I just posted up a tasty treat in my For Sale thread if anyone wants some vintage Shimano Disc Brakes for their build.

kingfish254

Pro Member
Aug 31, 2009
Historic Savannah
www.ratrodbikes.com
There's something Shimano that you have that I want. Hopefully you can find it. ;)
Haven't forgotten you, but haven't found it yet either. :(

kingfish254

Pro Member
Aug 31, 2009
Historic Savannah
www.ratrodbikes.com

LukeTheJoker

Nov 17, 2012
Broken Hill, Australia
www.ratrodbikes.com

Members online

The Bike Wall BOXKARS