Maybe one more

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks ...I hope that eveybody can see how easy this is and build one too. I got some more stuff....gonna be cold in the ol shop today. :lol:

Ok I'm haveing to build this one from the back...forward ,since the stays are the frame. Here is how its going so far. I still have to bend them out wider to give it room for a tire , but it looks like it going to work pretty good. The point at the ends will be cut out and a small portion of the dropouts will make the point. Hard to explain ,but you will see as I get it closer to done. They have to order me a peice of 1 1/2'' 16 ga. for the front , but most of the stuff I have except for that one more piece.

preview005.jpg

preview002.jpg

stantlin said:
Looking very nice!

What size tubing are you using for the top and lower tubes?

Its what they call 1/2'' schedule 40 . Its about 5/8'' od. Thanks ,but its a nightmare so far. If I get this one built and it looks good it will surprise even me.
Maddog I bent 4 just alike. I had them really good and I welded the front together and thought the tubes would spread the same. Both tubes did one side more than the other. I spent 2 hours getting it back right again. This one is a killer . Its going to test my abilities for sure.

Cool!

Also, what is the bare frame in the back with twin down tubes? That's really neat.

preview002.jpg

Ok I got it tacked together. Still have to design the dropouts and weld everything together. It Kinda is starting to look like a bike.

justtacked001.jpg

Antial's design....I'm close

4322133790_b2b7d891e3.jpg

justtacked003.jpg

Looks good Paul, I wonder if you get get away without using a seat tube. Kind of like an elgin twinbar frame. If you built some frame gussets at the headtube connections and where the downtube/chainstays come together I bet it would be strong enough.

Don't you love armchair quarterbacks :oops:

2manybikes said:
Looks good Paul, I wonder if you get get away without using a seat tube. Kind of like an elgin twinbar frame. If you built some frame gussets at the headtube connections and where the downtube/chainstays come together I bet it would be strong enough.

Don't you love armchair quarterbacks :oops:
That 5/8'' pipe is awful small to spanse that far with nothing to hold it. It might work , but since I'm kinda doing Antial's design I will probably stay with the seatpost in the picture. It will give me some needed strength and a place to weld the BB.

I'm liking it more all the time!

And I'm starting to see some ideas for the 21st century Spaceliner that keeps bouncing around in my head.

stantlin said:
I'm liking it more all the time!

And I'm starting to see some ideas for the 21st century Spaceliner that keeps bouncing around in my head.
I'm glad you like it. This paticular build wasnt that easy ,but you can build anything. Just takes a little time and work...oh and a little dreaming

Yeah Maddog maybe I can get it welded and the seatpost in tomorrow. I'm just hopeing to finish now. I'm not even worried about the fate of it yet. :lol: Todays progress

justtacked001.jpg

Thanks Steve ...Its coming along.

Yeah Antieal there were several changes made. I dont build bikes with really raked necks...they dont ride right and yes its higher off the ground. Whatever I build has to be rideable. I'm not going to this much trouble for something that you cant get on and go. The forks in your design are closer to the tire than I can build. It makes the downtube radius greater. It did change the way it looks, but you already had a picture and this is as close as I can translate it to metal. :roll: :roll:

Thanks Gregg I try .Yeah got to get the dropouts made today if my fab guy isnt busy. Then pickup another piece of tubing. Then there is the big health care debate going on so I'll be checking that out too. Today wont be real productive. :cry: :cry:

Latest posts

Back