MAX Wedge

Jul 16, 2019
America's Friendly Hat
Yeah man! That's it! I think the long lines of the nanner match the long tubes of the frame really well. The struts look like they belong on there too, goes well with the dropout plates.

Reactions: hamppea
Jul 10, 2018
NY
The regular Shimano 3S axle is far too short for the 128mm dropout spacing of the 5 speed Wedge.

Found a long 175mm for the 3S hub in my stash to replace the short(153mm). Noticed that the push rod is also longer from 108.4mm to 113.4mm. The 75 is longer on both sides of the axle unlike the extend 333 axle... huh. Don't think I has a 113 rod. What could be used for a push rod:39:

Top: 175mm (long) 3S axle - 113.4mm push rod
Mid: 160mm (long) 333 axle - 108.4mm push
Bot: 153mm (normal) 333 axle -108.4 push
shimano axles.jpg

The 3S Axle is more robust, less prone to flexing. The long 333 axle is rare, extended on the non drive side.

This Wedge is for pavement, off-road and snow.
Gearing setup low. @60psi the Maxxis tires are slower than slicks.
MAX gears.jpg

Even if the bellcrank is damaged I can still ride away at 59 gear inches.

...end of ɡiːkɪzəm

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2018
NY
Didn't notice the seatstay drive side has a bend. Was about to straighten it when I checked the hub spacing and it appears the entire drive side is out, like it came from the factory that way. No signs of trauma. The BB is true relative to all the other points. The stays are inline with the rails and down tube :39: Know a member who has the 5 speed.

MWseatstay1.jpg

MWstays.jpg

5mm offset at the dropouts.

Last edited:
Reactions: Captain Awesome
Sep 7, 2014
Columbus OH
Tried to straighten a rim like that once. Would get it close and it would just snap back into the previous shape. It was alloy though and I didn't remove the spokes. Good luck.

Reactions: hamppea
Jul 10, 2018
NY
Got it true NP.
TRUE.jpg

Just look at that spoke pattern... I am a wheel building god.
CrossPattern.jpg

Actual wheel. 10 gauge spokes. Had to drill out 108 holes, 3 different sizes... in steps.
Gwheel.jpg

Not necessary to go spoke under spoke. Barely any flex and stronger.
Heavier wheels towards the outside are less maneuverable.
How much do 36 182mm 10g spokes with 12mm nipples weigh?
Might have to rethink the bike's overall weight. The 415 chain is out. Wheels are overkill.

Cute lil' 14g nipple:happy:
10g head.jpg

10g nipple heads are almost the same diameter as a schrader valve.

Tried to straighten a rim like that once. Would get it close and it would just snap back into the previous shape. It was alloy though and I didn't remove the spokes. Good luck.
Alloy can be tricky to straighten depending on the wall shape, hardness and in what manner it was bent. Severely bent rims can reused. 6061 is easier to tame than T6. Not worth mending steel that can be bent again. I remove as many weak links as possible.
Steel rims don't last long on bikes I intend punish. I must say though, Murray stamped hoops are not so bad.
The rim in my early post was the result of pedal strike. The old steel looked cool. Replaced by an alloy double wall.

Always the same guys:113: Wish we could all ride together. We'd understand each other better.

I hang rims like that on my fence behind the garden. Beans and peas love them
Want me to pay if forward?

looking for another Wedge. Daaaaaang! :13: Not even the 5 speed!
wedge3.jpg

Checked to see if it really sold, it did.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2019
America's Friendly Hat
I'd love to ride with youzeguys. Ratrodbikes event would be great! Lol you think I'm a blabbermouth on here, you should hear me when freed from the constraints of keyboards!
And you can toss the rim, not worth the trouble of shipping to Canada. Frikkin covid, I miss human interaction. And my us postal address

Sep 7, 2014
Columbus OH
Alloy can be tricky to straighten depending on the wall shape, hardness and in what manner it was bent.
The one I attempted to straighten was for a guy at work and it was off of a cheap Wally World type bike. I just wanted to show off.

Thought I could straighten it because back in 1990 I had a Giant Iguana and attempted to ride it down the steps of my brother's apartment. The steps were inside and fairly narrow. Got the bike wedged between the walls real solid and tacoed the front wheel. Thought it was toast but it trued back up easily. Much higher quality wheel than the other one that wouldn't straighten up.

nipple heads are almost the same diameter as a schrader valve.
:giggle:....nipple

Always the same guys:113: Wish we could all ride together. We'd understand each other better.
Would love to try out one of your rides. You could take this one for a spin. You'd need a taller gear though.

scale.jpg

Jul 10, 2018
NY
That's a real beauty Chad! Know I would enjoy riding all your bikes. Small wheels can kick butt on a smooth surface.
Already got one with a bigger gear :p
How much do 36 182mm 10g spokes with 12mm nipples weigh?
1.2lbs

Going try a 36mm wide Brawler rim with 3sp hub & 14G spokes. I really want to make this bike well balanced and lightweight.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chad T
Jul 10, 2018
NY
Never reached this lever of bike high before... I can tell how something will perform based on specs quickly. Make'm faster, go longer distance, stronger and appealing at the same time. Have tunnel vision currently. Build, ride, eat, sleep repeat. Parts everywhere around my studio, even under the bed.

Have 4 builds going i think.. Bike high is very real folks! The techno music's making it worse:crazy:
IMG2.jpg

IMG3.jpg

IMG4.jpg

IMG1.jpg

IMG5.jpg

IMG6.jpg