MAX Wedge

Jul 10, 2018
NY
Wakey wakey wakey! Time to get going!
MAX.jpg

Hate to borrow but I needz a gold Dia-compe caliper from someone else. The Huffy headset isn't standard nor is the seat post. Have to put a set together. later I'll use a threadless headset with open brass sleeves I make.

I'm seeing red chainring bolts, brake cable, red cage beartrap pedals and decal numbers with red. Yellow stripes and highlight work on some of the components and frame. Blue AME grips for the time being. Sissy bar will be cut apart.

hamppea factoid:
I have never used a stand to put together a bike or repair one outside of a bike shop. I literally build every one of my bikes from the ground up. Probably why my rides seldom have derailleurs. Placing a bike in a stand feels awkward when I must. Working on the floor appeals to me in a childish way.

Still loads to go!
Batty batty batty!

Mar 7, 2013
Tucson, AZ
Me too,

Max is a time machine. Has to have old knobbys, Ashtabula fork, banana, high flange hub and #plates.
Wanted to use the Stingray but the BB is low with a slightly shorter top tube. Longer cranks was a game changer in bmx. Can't find the documentary now showing how Stingrays where cut, heated, ratchet strapped to raise the BB.
Side by side with BB and axles in the same plane.
View attachment 140137
The Huffy's spindle height is 11'' on 1.75'' tires. Plenty for 6-1/2'' cranks. The Pro Thunder isn't terrible. Rode it many miles... good enough for my needs.

Heard about this legendary Huffy score.
View attachment 140138
That's a funky Metaloid made of recycled cans mid 3rd row.
You sure know how to landscape a backyard.

Sep 7, 2014
Columbus OH
Wanted to use the Stingray but the BB is low with a slightly shorter top tube. Longer cranks was a game changer in bmx. Can't find the documentary now showing how Stingrays where cut, heated, ratchet strapped to raise the BB.
The later Sting Ray "long frame" '68 5-speed and Krate then all regular Sting Rays have decent crank clearance and a fairly long top tube.

Here's a pic of some 165mm cranks on a '76 3 speed frame.
silver9.jpg

The '65-68 frames are a little lower but not too bad. Shorter top tube for sure. Here's a '68 coaster with 165mm cranks on it.

sr7.jpg

Early ('64-'65) and Junior frames have very little clearance and are pedal draggers even with the stock 4.5 inch cranks. Fastbacks are too but have 5.5 cranks which aren't too bad if you're not real long legged.

I remember seeing a program where they talked about those squished Sting Ray mods but have never seen one. That would be a trick build. Dig what you've got going on here.

Jul 10, 2018
NY
The later Sting Ray "long frame" '68 5-speed and Krate then all regular Sting Rays have decent crank clearance and a fairly long top tube.

Here's a pic of some 165mm cranks on a '76 3 speed frame. View attachment 142507

The '65-68 frames are a little lower but not too bad. Shorter top tube for sure. Here's a '68 coaster with 165mm cranks on it.

View attachment 142509

Early ('64-'65) and Junior frames have very little clearance and are pedal draggers even with the stock 4.5 inch cranks. Fastbacks are too but have 5.5 cranks which aren't too bad if you're not real long legged.

I remember seeing a program where they talked about those squished Sting Ray mods but have never seen one. That would be a trick build. Dig what you've got going on here.
ok, your first bike pic blinded me man!!!

I thought the top tubes were all the same length for the Rays and the stays were longer..no?
Which model Stingrays have the longest top tube & highest BB clearance? What is the top tube length you measure on your longest frame, center to center?

I've been searching for one of those modded Stingrays myself. Can't even find the video anymore.

Sep 7, 2014
Columbus OH
Which model Stingrays have the longest top tube & highest BB clearance? What is the top tube length you measure on your longest frame, center to center?
The long frame Sting Ray was introduced when they started making the Krates in '68 but just the Krate and 5 speed got that frame. The rest got switched in '69. All the 5 speed bikes are a long frame. You can spot this frame on the coaster and 3 speeds by the mag sprocket.

1603640749159.png

The long frame I have in the garage measures 18.5 from the cl of the seat tube to the cl of the head tube. It has 9.5 inches of clearance from the cl of the bb to the ground. The '68 Ray measures 18 inches at the top tube and the '64 measures 17.5 so not a huge difference.

Jul 10, 2018
NY
The long frame Sting Ray was introduced when they started making the Krates in '68 but just the Krate and 5 speed got that frame. The rest got switched in '69. All the 5 speed bikes are a long frame. You can spot this frame on the coaster and 3 speeds by the mag sprocket.

View attachment 142578

The long frame I have in the garage measures 18.5 from the cl of the seat tube to the cl of the head tube. It has 9.5 inches of clearance from the cl of the bb to the ground. The '68 Ray measures 18 inches at the top tube and the '64 measures 17.5 so not a huge difference.
Did not know there was a slight difference in the top tubes. I have a 18'' 46T frame.

Now THIS is a long fame! 22.25'' TT to centers. BB clearance over 10.5''. I use a 170mm bmx crank and same gear ratio. Rarely get a pedal strike.
Sabertooth.jpg

Picture form a 60+ mile ride with around a 13mph average.

I've chased guys my age on road bikes up hills for miles with it an got to the top first.
The chainstay is short from a 68' 36t 3 speed which was converted for larger rings and a derailleur. I think by the next year or so the 3 sp got a 46t

If my house was on fire and I could only take one bike out in time, the Sabertooth would be it!
Me and the bike got a some kind of bond going on. It demoted my all time favorite Flying Wedge.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2018
NY
Wow 25 lbs...nice!

Looks cool. I think some vertical struts with some faux springs might give it an early moto-x vibe.

Would love to take that one for a spin.
You read my mind:p Was looking for a dust cover boot. The banana was too long, loaf was just right. The seat tube angle is pretty rad on this model.

Funny thing happened. I always bunny hop the much heavier Schwinn over a chain when I take it out. This bike flew away on the hop like it was on the moon!:21: Very fun 1st ride but need a gear reduction in the woods :whew:

I keep changing the colors and will probably edit components.
Need to add a pump because at 40 psi it's low for street and hard for off-road.

Jul 10, 2018
NY
The Huffy is just too small and lightweight for me... Balance is off clearing bigger jumps.

Going heavy, MAX Wedge w/ 20.5'' top tube. 11'' to ct crank spindle height. Bars are 39'' off the ground. May need to lower that value.
MAX WEDGE.jpg

Requires a 13/16'' seatpost. The seat tube tapers rapidly starting at the rails. Don't think the seat mount will survive on this build. It behaves like a layback. Not enough post holding below. Truly need bars with more pullback though. And I'd like it to have fenders.
I could put an old style triple tree suspension fork but it would mean cutting down the 6'' head tube:eek:
Tree.jpg

Unusually thick chainstay walls @ 0.1''
WEDGE CHAINSTAY WALL.jpg

I've flat bottomed this frame from about 4 feet several times onto asphalt no problem.

You can spot an OG Dia-Dompe MX1000 by the 13mm alloy lock-nut. Have the acorn somewhere..
OG MX1000.jpg

Ironically I'm working on two completely different AMF based bikes with the same frame geometry. Guess I must like them.

Anecdote: The first time removing a rear wheel from an elevated chainstay bike the chain fell immediately off to the ground... was momentarily confused:p

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2018
NY
That frame looks cool with the BMX motif. Those tall dropouts are perfect to put some moto looking struts on top of. Prop up that loaf... ;)

Nice name change.

View attachment 143997
The name is no coincidence. My dad had a 62' Super Stock and a Desoto Adventurer before that. He was an OG hemi guy from Long Island NY. He told me stories about how he used to destroy Chevys among others. I believe there was a special package Oldsmobile 88? that was also pretty powerful around the time. I remember seeing my dad working on that engine when I was a shorty.
If I could go back in time, I'd build a Flying Wedge BMX. Frame has the characteristics of a more modern BMX, very tough as well.

I agree those drops are prime for some sort of bar work or even a suspension but it would require a seat change from the short loaf to the long style seat used on the Stingray Hurricane. I passed on several of those seats and now wish I didn't:cry:
STINGRAY-HURRICANE.jpg

My Dad's model Desoto 350ci/350hp hemi:cool2: Then got a Plymouth with the 413 max wedge. Said not long after the ci increased.
desoto-adventurer-2-door-hardtop-back-side-american-car-show-norrtalje.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2014
Columbus OH
I agree those drops are prime for some sort of bar work or even a suspension but it would require a seat change from the short loaf to the long style seat used on the Stingray Hurricane
Ah yeah see what you mean. Struts would need to match that angle of the drops to look the best. Could you make some sort of adapter to move the mount to the back of the seat? Maybe even a little behind it?

That Desoto is gorgeous!

Jul 10, 2018
NY
Ah yeah see what you mean. Struts would need to match that angle of the drops to look the best. Could you make some sort of adapter to move the mount to the back of the seat? Maybe even a little behind it?

That Desoto is gorgeous!
The seat is actually further back than I want. I generally flip the clamp to push it forward. It's higher up than on the Huffy. Lowing the seat will move it even closer to the front of the bike.
The chainstay is over an 1'' longer than the 46T Stingray frame. I also have the rear wheel as far forward in the dropouts to shorten the wheelbases and raise the BB. We'll figure something out...

That Desoto is something else! Thought I read it was one of the first American cars with 4 headlights.

Reactions: Chad T
Jul 16, 2019
America's Friendly Hat
Yup, 57 was the first year quad headlights were legal, and only in some states. There were a few that year, with more coming as other states legalized
download.jpeg

Nash Ambassador
1957-mercury-turnpike-cruiser-headlight.jpg

Mercury made a bunch of em

Reactions: hamppea
Jul 10, 2018
NY
Found a 18.5'' fairly low profile seat pan that will work nicely with some shaping.
seatpan.jpg

Need 12'' struts or some kind of dust cover boot and high density foam? I want the seat to be thicc and black like my women. Frame will be stripped and this time painted a bright solid color.

The bars & stem are starting to irritate me... Going old school.

MAX is hungry
scrambled eggs.jpg

Attachments