heatgun.jpg

Last look.
step1.jpg

Windy day, stripper was drying quick...
srep2.jpg

Bag didn't help. I miss the old formula stripper:cry:

Was a total hand job...
step3.jpg

Getting the last itty-bitty pieces with a dremel.
step4.jpg

Got self etching primer but there are more gouges than expected. Needs a proper filler.
No signs of trauma, just some minor dings. The head tube has zero flare :thumbsup:

You guys with shiny bikes don't know what you're missing!

Guy passing by asked if it was a Redline... said yep!

Jul 10, 2018
NY
Little by little...
In primer. Have to wait for the weekend to give it color.
ready.jpg
primer.jpg

I'm purposely holding off putting the bike together until all the components are ready.
Have an image in my mind of what it ought to look like and want to see if it's close. Sort of a surprise.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2013
Bradley Illinoiz
www.instagram.com
Every time I take a frame down to metal I think about leaving it. It always looks good. Looks like you're just ahead of me, I have a tendency to build it up as a roller once before blowing it apart for paint. Rode mine a bit today, just a test run. Stripping it soon, chemical, emory, usually foam sanding blocks, whatever it takes. Mine's pretty beat up but yours looks good. We got plenty of time...

Carl.

Jul 10, 2018
NY
Every time I take a frame down to metal I think about leaving it. It always looks good. Looks like you're just ahead of me, I have a tendency to build it up as a roller once before blowing it apart for paint. Rode mine a bit today, just a test run. Stripping it soon, chemical, emory, usually foam sanding blocks, whatever it takes. Mine's pretty beat up but yours looks good. We got plenty of time...

Carl.
Did look rather good. Was tempted to throw parts on it. Felt like I need to go the extra mile being a build off. Saw your photo pressing a sanding block. A paint job with those mags is going to get plenty of attention.

Jul 10, 2018
NY
Brazing actually looked nice. Took closeups but they didn't come out:( Considered masking around the joints, time/weather not permitting. I could paint a fake weld effect later:happy:

Judging a bike in a creative BMX contest such as this, I expect some sort of paint skills, special custom decal work over non painted or spectacular welds of your own. BMX are stripped down to begin with. Could spend mucho dinero on components, nothing wrong with others doing so. Feel confident Max wont get buried being on a budget.

Sep 14, 2013
Bradley Illinoiz
www.instagram.com
Did look rather good. Was tempted to throw parts on it. Felt like I need to go the extra mile being a build off. Saw your photo pressing a sanding block. A paint job with those mags is going to get plenty of attention.
Thanks, they're Mongoose alloys. I have two pair and stripped this set, they were black. I'm thinking gold rims and a Satin black frame like a Schwinn Thruster... It's kinda cheating talking about it here because there will be no words from me on my build thread.

Carl.

Jul 10, 2018
NY
Thanks, they're Mongoose alloys. I have two pair and stripped this set, they were black. I'm thinking gold rims and a Satin black frame like a Schwinn Thruster... It's kinda cheating talking about it here because there will be no words from me on my build thread.

Carl.
Have the same set of wallgoose mags and was hoping you'd keep'em black cos' they look so much better in a lighter finish. I'd high polish mine with pinstripes.

I'm torn between performance and looks. A set of 16'' moped rims with 10 gauge spokes would be killer! 36 spokes with nipples weigh 1.2lbs! Both Rhyno rim wheels would be less than a single steel wheel.
Max is going to be a lightweight performer for riding in woods and on pathways all season. I do have rules when building so some things must stay such as the heavy seat and blade fork. Should be around 27lbs.

Reactions: GuitarlCarl
Sep 14, 2013
Bradley Illinoiz
www.instagram.com
Weight? Hmm... Almost everything I ride is a tank of a cruiser, or a tandem stripped into a single but still a tank. I do have a few road bikes, but never really was into BMX. It came after I'd grown into a car and was chasing girls. Lightweight road bikes do fly, so I suppose these little BMXrs would too. I think gold on my rims with the brake surfaces polished up a bit should look nice. The other set I have are black, nothing special there. What I'd really like to find is some gold anodized brake hardware. I got a buddy who does pinstriping... wonder how much paint stripes weigh?

Carl.

Jul 10, 2018
NY
Well I gotta carry my bikes 2.5 flights of narrow staircase. Have to go through a procedure to get my long bikes out the door every time. Didn't have a bike when I moved in. Now the place looks like a indoor cycle swap meet! On top of that there are monster hills in every direction! So you see, lightweight works for me.

I suspect someone googled how much weight would paint add to a bicycle.

Jul 10, 2018
NY
Got Forest Green paint. A darker green for a high contrast effect with the yellow/gold parts.
Maxxis tires on the way, an important component. Don't even want to see the bike without them mounted.

Going for yellow AME grips. MUST have flanges! None of that new school here.
GRIPS-AME-ROUNDS-YELLOW-WATERMARK__66020.1455040321.jpg
"The hardest part is letting go" so true!

Have a vision of #plate with staggered numbers. This's it!
375.jpg

Still looking for hubs. Thought hi-polish initially, painted will be more interesting.

Color this weekend. Can't wait to see the frame set basecoat done.

Jul 10, 2018
NY
Tons of research to get the right tire for this build! The old knobby is cool, just low performance for me. The 20 X 2.20'' Holy Rollers are lighter, better material and can go to 60 psi for pavement. Much better rolling resistance than ordinary dirt bike tires. On narrow rims currently for a higher profile. Can take it down to 30 psi off road.

Gave the frame another coat and it got darker being a candy. The hue shifted to blue. Rather it be yellow. Still great! While hanging to dry it looked nice against a red tool chest. Going to play with red and yellow. Those are def not my color choices but I want to try something different. Still not sure about the fork color... leaning towards sold yellow with matching grips. Have a yellow fork to test.

Won't be long now before Max & I get some air!

Last edited: