Making progress

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
cd162a864afcebf6dabe707028ccc730.jpg

It took me a while to strip the frame but I'm glad I did. Here's a few pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crash, I sort of started doing something similar on a different post, "Is it a Stingray". I'm still working on it. Looking for fender braces and a few other things.

That has come a long way, nice work!

Looking good now but did you put the sprocket on backwards? Maybe it is just the picture. Another old bike rides again!!
Jaxon,

I sure did and didn't realize it till after the pictures. Was hoping to go undetected, but you guys are too sharp. Still working on it and will post more pics soon.

Thanks

Good eye Jaxon. What that will do is throw your chain line off, so the chain will keep working itself off the sprocket. More of an annoyance than anything else, but having it right will be... right.

Love the work done on this bike! That green looks good.

Slightly off topic noob question, how do you know which direction is correct for the sprocket? I got a new one for a project and was wondering how you tell.

...how do you know which direction is correct for the sprocket? I got a new one for a project and was wondering how you tell.

Welcome to RRB!

That sprocket, or any sprocket? Generally, sprockets, if not absolutely straight, tend to lean the offset to the inside. The goal is to create a line with the chain that is straight. Easier to achieve with single-speed bicycles, however the concept holds true for multi-speeds as well. The less lateral bend in a chain the less likely it is to 'derail' itself.

I'm not sure if I answered the question. I "know" from either having seen a sprocket correctly mounted before, so the opposite looks odd, like the example above, or I know because there is an obvious "outside" (like a Schwinn Mag) or I "know" from looking at the wear marks to how the sprocket was mounted previously (worn wide circle inside is the drive race or spacer from the bottom bracket, smaller circle outside is where the crank arm butted against it)

Hope that helps!

Welcome to RRB!

That sprocket, or any sprocket? Generally, sprockets, if not absolutely straight, tend to lean the offset to the inside. The goal is to create a line with the chain that is straight. Easier to achieve with single-speed bicycles, however the concept holds true for multi-speeds as well. The less lateral bend in a chain the less likely it is to 'derail' itself.

I'm not sure if I answered the question. I "know" from either having seen a sprocket correctly mounted before, so the opposite looks odd, like the example above, or I know because there is an obvious "outside" (like a Schwinn Mag) or I "know" from looking at the wear marks to how the sprocket was mounted previously (worn wide circle inside is the drive race or spacer from the bottom bracket, smaller circle outside is where the crank arm butted against it)

Hope that helps!
Yes, that sprocket. I should have clarified a little. The sprocket i got is offset a bit as well. I have only had dealings with flat sprockets up until now.

So generally offset to the inside? So the teeth offset to the inside correct?

Thank you for the answers! I learn a bunch everytime i log in!

Ok, I worked on it a little more. Still need to add front fender and chain guard which I need to clean up. I also need to add decals and head badge. Just don't have the time. Here's a few pics.
5b638166320c862206af08fa1b64d608.jpg

1292fb54b02707215b9924cbb8b90c75.jpg

5a87f0e0ec50003df4fd83943ac93aef.jpg

d51c6fbccb349f90aec9e5f8c824ac0c.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back