Made in the Shade

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
(snip)... but did I put this cool little CWC Western Flyer together replacing the original blue/cream fenders with a very rare set of cream/blue reverse pattern fenders and using many other cream pieces for a beautiful effect. She is truly an art deco beauty. View attachment 94612

Sorry for digging up a two-week-old post, but I wanted to tell you I saved this pic for reference and inspiration for my build. I am hoping to give my '90s-era Murray a much older feel with a two-tone like this.

Sorry for digging up a two-week-old post, but I wanted to tell you I saved this pic for reference and inspiration for my build. I am hoping to give my '90s-era Murray a much older feel with a two-tone like this.
Thank you. I am glad you like my version of it. Just wait until you see the next version. Hint: 4th of July.

Update: I posted the next version in the "builds" section.

Last edited:
Never seen one that low locally, but then again I barely look at bikes that can't be used... ;)
There doesn't seem to be too many examples out there. I am going to try to make a rideable version. I have a '67 coppertone Slik Chik frame to play around with. Seems like they all use girls frames for a lower look (no top bar). Actually, it looks like they use nothing but mismatched junk pile parts (which is cool). The outside-the-box creativeness of that modified springer is just awesome!

Windowshade has officially been renamed. I felt that the original name was too boring. It is now "Made in the Shade" (a very appropriate name). And after a busy weekend with two of my daughters graduating college (YEAH!), it's time to get back to the task at hand. The (almost) correct chainring and cranks will be here (and installed) today. Just have the chainguard remaining, and it will be here this week. Getting pretty close to being finished??? And still nobody has figured out the secret??? Maybe more clues. Look at all of the pictures. The secret is in there. I will reveal the secret when either someone figures it out..........or when I consider the bike finished. Any Sherlocks out there???

:cue Southern Hemisphere blowback now:
Anddddd....GO @LukeTheJoker and @Glen !
There doesn't seem to be too many examples out there. I am going to try to make a rideable version. I have a '67 coppertone Slik Chik frame to play around with. Seems like they all use girls frames for a lower look (no top bar). Actually, it looks like they use nothing but mismatched junk pile parts (which is cool). The outside-the-box creativeness of that modified springer is just awesome!
Sorry for bringing this back up, but was busy until now...
I saw that reaaally low lowrider and thought immediately of a style of bike that made the rounds in our german forum last spring, the brasilian "fixa reibaxada". Never heard of? Don't worry, here is a video about this brasilian flavour of bike lowrider culture (also southern hemisphere:wink1:):

And now back on topic... :banana:

Surprisingly, this style originated in Australia. I think that it is their version of the Latino culture lowrider. Here's another:
$_20.PNG

Now this is so crazy I wanna do it. Might even have a base for it... one that folds:bigsmile:

Sorry for bringing this back up, but was busy until now...
I saw that reaaally low lowrider and thought immediately of a style of bike that made the rounds in our german forum last spring, the brasilian "fixa reibaxada". Never heard of? Don't worry, here is a video about this brasilian flavour of bike lowrider culture (also southern hemisphere:wink1:):

And now back on topic... :banana:

That's great! You have to appreciate the diversity. They are all cool!

Last edited:
Not really my style but @Endlesschain would love it I think. Here's a couple of lowriders he had at a recent car show...

View attachment 95786

Glen.
yup my style indeed,I have seen these before,I have a spare bent lowrider fork laying around,I feel like slapping one up for a laugh,hummmm.....

I know that I am posting a bunch of stuff that is not related to my build-off bike. Some out of boredom, but mostly just to share different ideas with other builders. Some might say that I am losing focus. But it is all related to the build. Every time I look at other bikes, I come up with different ideas that might trigger ideas for my build-off bike. My point is, that every posting and every idea is all part of the process. So, keep the ideas coming and let's have fun! Thank you all for your input!

Last edited:
Finally got the chainring/cranks/pedals that I wanted. The patina matches the bike nicely! Dogleg cranks are dated '36. Yes, that is a Girls-sized chainring that is correct for a '40 Huffman. That's why I said "almost" correct chainring in a previous post. A cruiser doesn't need a big chainring. This lower gearing makes it much more enjoyable to ride while keeping the bike looking (somewhat) correct. A balanced compromise between form and function. And the pedals............I don't know what they are but the blocks are made of WOOD! They came with the chainring and cranks. And I think that they are perfect for this build! They are also "girls" sized pedals which is preferred. I always use narrower pedals because I usually ride barefoot. And you can lean further into a turn while pedaling when you have narrower pedals. I always try to make my builds perform as well as they can. It has to be as much fun to ride them as it is to look at them. And this bike rides beautifully!
DSCN0760.JPG
DSCN0762.JPG

DSCN0761.JPG

Last edited:
Cool pedals!
With the blocks being made of wood...................I would guess that they are from the 20's??? Definitely different. I think they have been with these cranks a long time. It wouldn't be right to separate them now.

Last edited:
Here we are with the Memorial Day weekend starting. Day 24 of the build-off. Been riding it since day five. I have been keeping a secret about this bike that will finally be revealed on Memorial Day Monday. That is unless somebody figures it out before Monday. Anyone up to the challenge? Who will be the one to figure it out??? Maybe I should offer some kind of prize? Good luck and have fun!

Last edited:
Here we are with the Memorial Day weekend starting. Day 24 of the build-off. Been riding it since day five. I have been keeping a secret about this bike that will finally be revealed on Memorial Day Monday. That is unless somebody figures it out before Monday. Anyone up to the challenge? Who will be the one to figure it out??? Maybe I should offer some kind of prize? Good luck and have fun!
A secret but no hints? That's a tough one.

Appears our game of 'Clue' in this Build Off continues! :21:

Latest posts

Back