Mackinac Island

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The middle of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
2nd annual vintage, rat, road, mountain, cruiser, home built beater etc bike ride around Mackinac Island and bike show. Sept 22, 10:30 AM. Star Line to Provide free bike transport. I'm going. Complete info on the web. Hard place to get to so early. I'll have to leave at 5 AM to make the ferry.

Me and my wife are taking a couple of fifties bikes to the island event. Mine will be a red JC Higgins colorflow and hers a blue Ross with fender skirts. We are spending Friday nite in St Ignace. Hope to see you there!

Me and my wife are taking a couple of fifties bikes to the island event. Mine will be a red JC Higgins colorflow and hers a blue Ross with fender skirts. We are spending Friday nite in St Ignace. Hope to see you there![/QUOTE

We are also staying in St Ignace Friday night. My wife will bring a sixties teal Monark, my daughter will probably bring her red 1938 CWC or a 50s blue Schwinn American. I can't decide what to bring. Maybe a black Italian rod brake bike, a blue 1930s Rollfast or a black 1936 collet frame rat.

decided on the rat
Looks like good weather. Friday they are predicting 21 mph winds, which would make for a barf ride on the ferry, but on Saturday it is going to be much calmer with a high of 57 F and sunny. Could still be some residual chops, depending when on when Friday-Saturday it will calm down. I would like to bring a nicer bike but I only have a rack that takes two and I will toss the rat in the pickup bed. I don't care about the finish on the rat as it is real bad already. Really wanted to bring my 30s custom Rollfast but I have no way to take 3 bikes that I care about the paint on. There is a real big classic cruiser bike ride In Marquette, Mi which gets between 100 to 150 riders (only bikes with curves frames allowed, no advertising on jerseys, no spandex and no drop bars: helmets OK but one lady has been known to put a leopard skin pillbox hat over her helmet). Violators will still be able to ride but will have a red flag on their bike or tape over their advertising or on their apparel. There is a big bash after. It's free, just bring a dish to pass and a 30 pack of beer or whatever for drinks. There are kids there so some bring soft drinks. It isn't advertised and always takes place the Sunday following the Saturday Ore to Shore (O2S) mountain bike race. Starts at 10 AM at Lakeshore Bike Shop and goes 10 miles on the city bike path. They don't want it to get big so no advertising. Its not official so we just block the roads until we all pass. Everyone seems to enjoy the parade so no far no problem with the police. Been going on for a long time.

On the way over to the Island. 39 degrees F, got on flannel lined jeans and four upper layers.
1537616391827-1026337253.jpg

Was a fun event. Had a nice slow ride around the island, gathered after the ride for a burger and brew at a local pub, and then met back at the park under Fort Mackinac for raffle prizes and met up again with other classic bike enthusiasts.

Latest posts

Back