Lunch Bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Backstory:
Recently I sold my diesel beetle (40MPG) and bought a Tacoma Doublecab pickup (18MPG) and quickly realized that gasoline was too expensive to maintain my 60 mile daily commute.

I solved the problem by using the Park-N-Ride lot 6 miles from my house. Riding the bus is nice. I can read or sleep or whatever on the way to work.

The unintended consequence of public transportation was that I was stuck eating lunch within walking distance of the office.

So as I'm walking back and forth to lunch I had the idea of building up a rat bike that would stay chained up to the bike rack in my office parking garage.

I mentioned it to the guys my cubescape and one of them offered to donate an old beach cruiser.

Here are some pix of the project:

Pickup day and first parts chasing run
t699_01Apr07.jpg

Inspection
t701_01Apr07.jpg

Paint
t728_15Apr07.jpg

Wet Sanding
img_1846.jpg

Built
img_1849.jpg

img_1851.jpg

Test Pilot - My neighbor John
img_1856.jpg

Loaded up and ready to go to work
t744_27Apr07.jpg

t745_27Apr07.jpg

Start'em young! My daughter who is 22 months old helped out and was very excited about the build. (she cried when I took the bike to work)

I ended up buying a second cruiser at a garage sale because it had a new seat and wheels with killer heavy gauge spokes.

New Parts List:

• Kryptonite 2' NYC-Noose Lock
    Chen Shen Whitewall Slicks
    Torker "Shorty" Fenders
    Ebay Foam Grips
    Stainless Steel Chain
    Aluminum Seat Post Clamp

Total cost for everything including the donor bike is around $100. The lock being the most expensive part.

I opted not to ask the building management if they minded me leaving a bike up here all the time because they might have said no. If they tag a note on it complaining I've cooked up a story about the bike being part of the company "Wellness Initiative" and I'll get an official letter saying so from Corp. HQ.

Thanks everyone for providing inspiration and ideas. Special thanks to Gerry Lauzon for his excellent how to repaint your bicycle article. This was the best rattle-can paint job I've ever done.

Take that second cruiser and cruise it to the park n ride, you'll love it.

Larry said:
Take that second cruiser and cruise it to the park n ride, you'll love it.

I swapped out the parts I needed and then gave it to a fellow member of the Obscura Mobile Wing. He is going to repair it to a ridable state and then we're going to give it away to the first new recruit who shows up for three training rides. :)

Donor bike......free :)

Total in parts and supplies ...$100.00 :D

Bonding with Daughter..........PRICELESS!! :mrgreen:

good story...nice bike 8)

Nice and simple rat. Nice job and pics. I also like the fact you are using alternative transportation for the daily commute and lunch.

Clancy

cman said:
Nice and simple rat. Nice job and pics. I also like the fact you are using alternative transportation for the daily commute and lunch.
Clancy

It's a way to make alternative transportation FUN.

It's also paying dividends on the fitness side. I'm riding almost every day now and it feels great.

Latest posts

Back