LukeTheJoker's Intro and Links. BIG MOVES!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In preparing for RRB-BO#14 I have been modifying some of my tools...

First off was my drill press, I got it for free, but it was a little gutless, it would stall out trying to drill a 1/4" (6mm) hole...

The stock motor was 360 watts and I had a large hand drill that was not doing anything rated to 1100 watts, it has a magnesium body with full roller bearings to handle big side loads too, so the answer seemed pretty simple to me...

Remove the pulley from the motor and TIG weld it to some 1/2" round stock:

IMG_20190416_184504977.jpg
IMG_20190416_193200153.jpg

Weld up a solid little mount to convert the motor mount to hold the drill solidly by the accessory handle and then clamp the body:

IMG_20190416_184446480.jpg
IMG_20190416_193140154.jpg

Weld it to the motor mount on the drill press:

IMG_20190416_193129077.jpg

Only thing left to do is wire it to the original switch, but I have tested it and it will drill a 1" hole through 1/2" plate with no issues!

The other tool that has been giving me issues was my little lathe, it is a great little thing, but you have to take tiny little cuts at a time because it will easily stall out. It had a 110 watt motor, I now had a spare 360 watt motor, I think you can see where this is going...

The old motor had a 11/32" (8.7mm) shaft, the new one had one a bit over 1/2" (a really weird size, something like 67/128" or 13.3mm) I didn't want to take all the material out of either the pulley boss or the motor shaft so I split the difference.
Drilled the pulley on my now over powered drill press to 29/64" (11.5mm) and then ground, sanded and filed the motor shaft with it spinning to the same size, the result was better than I could have hoped, perfect fit and runs dead straight and true!

IMG_20190417_175331882.jpg

TIG welded up a sandwich plate to sit between the lathe bed and the base plate and extend out to mount the bigger motor:

IMG_20190417_163123483.jpg

(Getting much better on the TIG with more practice!)

Then assembled it all back together after modifying the gearbox cover to clear:

IMG_20190417_175256640.jpg
IMG_20190417_175324237.jpg

Had to modify the storage crate for clearance though:

IMG_20190417_180420581.jpg

It runs really well now, better than it ever has. Can actually take decent cuts without stalling! The new motor is not reversible though, but I never used it in reverse anyway, that is more for cutting threads and the like, where as I am usually making shafts or modifying washers to make hubs.

Because the lathe had sat for so long the belts have seen better days though:

IMG_20190418_152447639.jpg

So I have some on order, hopefully they get here before May 1st, not sure how much longer they will last and I need to use the lathe for the first part I need to make... :39:

Typically, they are not available in Australia, I had to order from the USA...

I'd call that success. The DC brushes may need tending to. Is that your only shop drill press?

If you can keep'em going why not.
Yep, that is the only drill press I have, went years without one, but having a press is so much easier than electric hand drilling precision work.
Brushes seem OK, I think it was probably just always gutless, probably fine for wood...

The press and bandsaw were always my go-to tools. Had several up to 17''. In a way I can understand why you haven't been using them. I worked along side a welder auto body fabricator and he'd cut most of everything holes and all with a plasma cutter and pneumatic saws. Cordless drill for light stuff.
Just a matter of space and budget really for me, now I have the workshop it is a bit better, but still don't have the budget for the tools I really want. (Bigger lathe and a vertical mill.)

Working on building my own tubing notcher now, hoping to have it up and running before the build-off. Not impressed with the cheap ones I have seen, and the expensive ones are just too much $$$'s...

Been messing around building a temporary notching jig for 7/8" O.D. tube, better fit up means much easier and better welds now that I am using TIG more often.
Going to be using lots of 90 degree joints with this tubing in the build-off, my build is almost space framed...
I can see a version 2.0 with more flexibility in the future, but this works surprisingly well for making multiple identical parts.

IMG_20190424_165309374.jpg

Modified slightly to make the finished parts easier to remove and added an end stop that keys into the previous notch:

IMG_20190424_170700627.jpg

Results:

IMG_20190424_174554624.jpg

Don't worry, I'm pretty sure they will be the wrong lengths for my build unless I happened to fluke it, just wanted to get a good test done by making a few pieces to check for consistency, one or two I accidentally allowed the tube to move slightly as it started to cut, so the angles are off, but the later ones got clamped to the jig so they are great!

:thumbsup:

After the build-off I might try make an adjustable notching jig, or I will just have a range of jigs for each tubing size and tack guide tubes to them for each job? :39:

V blocks are ideal for drilling round stock with varying diameters. When clamped at both ends tubing will not move.

Image of a vee block I've used. You can make your own out of angle iron.
View attachment 93251
:thumbsup: The next one will definitely be doing that!

My wife makes pendant and earrings as a hobby, I figured now I have the TIG and the correct gas for stainless, I might have a little play making stuff for her to use.

Threw some 1/2" stainless rod in my drill press the other day, used a sanding disc on the grinder to give it a dome shape and then cut them off with another grinder set up with a cutting disc, repeat 7 more times, cut a vine leaf shape from a piece of stainless exhaust tubing and fusion weld the whole lot together:

IMG_20190425_135122268.jpg

Not perfect, but good learning experience!

As some will know from following some of my other threads, there are some big changes happening with us!

The farm where we were renting got sold and the new owners required the house for the new workers they were putting on.

We looked for a while locally within our price range but options were very limited. We could get somewhere nice enough to live, but it would be a unit with no room for working on cars or bikes and the like, or we could get somewhere with room to work, but honestly, you would not want to live there... :shake:

We were then offered free rent in a small mining town about 800km's (500 miles) away from us in the next state over by my parents, they bought a house there last year and are moving there when they retire in about 12 months.

We didn't really want to move that far, but the 12 months free rent will allow us to save for a house deposit, which is not something we ever thought possible with both of us on pensions, the added bonus is that houses are cheap there so we could actually afford to pay one off, unlike most places these days. Then we can be local to them as they get older, but also have the stability of buying our own home without worrying about have to move again somewhere down the line.

So we boxed up what was important to us, then sold, gave away, donated or recycled the rest, even sold my little Datsun rally car project! :(
But then we found and bought a clean little '96 Toyota Hilux for a stupidly good deal which made up for it! ;)

IMG_20190728_145845676_HDR.jpg

Also found a secondhand frame and canopy for our trailer that fit after extending the trailer box a little.

IMG_20190718_174722620.jpg

Since then we have been prepping the Hilux for the big move, which happens next week.

The trip goes through some true Australian outback, with many Kangaroos, Emus and feral goats on the way, so picked up a cheap secondhand bull bar and some new spot lights, installed all that and a half decent stereo to replace the mess it came with, and now both vehicles are ready to go. (The family car Camry already had a custom small bar and lights on it that I did before we visited the house last year while the family was there, so it was already ready to go.)

IMG_20190807_165253866_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190823_124025753_HDR.jpg
IMG_20181213_143323080.jpg

We will try get some pictures of the move as it happens, and it will take a while to get internet and workshop set up in the shed at the new place, but I should be back to building and posting by the time the end of year build-off comes around.

:forum:

Looks like a old gold miners digs . You might have to invest in gold prospecting equipment . o_O congratulations in your new adventure .
A good place for social distancing .
Indeed it is a miners cottage!

Latest posts

Back