LTJ's new project car build thread: (Changed my mind, doing another DATSUN!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Time to make a build thread for my new project car, I know some were following my old thread for the Datsun, but figured this new project deserves it's own thread.

Here it is, a 1962 Australian built Morris Major Elite:

21743223_1399172963536694_6251449707167089348_n.jpg

morrie2.JPG
morrie3.JPG
morrie4.JPG
morrie1.JPG
morrie5.JPG

It is basically a progression on the Morris Minor platform, but longer/wider/stronger/more powerful to suit the Australian market which preferred bigger cars that were more capable of long distance travelling.

The drivetrain consists of the bigger 1622cc (99ci) Morris B series motor, (as later used in the MGA) 4 speed floor shift gearbox with synchros on 2, 3 and 4 and a larger/stronger final drive than the early Majors or Minors.

It got delivered today with a little help from someone in the Morris Major owners club:

2017-09-16 16.18.25.jpg
2017-09-16 16.19.00.jpg
2017-09-16 16.19.25.jpg

Although it does apparently run and drive, the brakes don't currently work, there is some panel work that needs doing and the drivers side of the front seat has collapsed, also the fuel tank and lines need draining and cleaning and it will need all new tires and secondary light lenses among other things, but it should be a fun little project as everything is so simple and purely mechanical unlike later cars.

I will be making some modernisation upgrades along the way, mainly to wiring, but also possibly cooling, tire style/construction, (radials) carburetor/exhaust and lighting.

It may be a little while before any big progress happens, I am building a bike for MBBO#06 and I will be walling in part of the carport to make it nicer for the rebuild before it starts, but stay tuned, this should be fun!

Cool. It's crazy to me how we can fire up our little 4 bangers and be amazed, but I do it too. I had a 440cu. in a Charger when I was a kid but now the little 4cyl in my Ranger has it's own rumble to it that I just love to hear. Something in the rpm revs and all, just pulls me in... Looking forward to seeing the revival of this classic.

Carl.

For me it was just awesome to see a 55 year old motor come back to life!

I was about going fast and big horsepower when I was in my 20's, but now I just want to cruise...

My first cars were small Fords, a 62 Comet with a 144 six, and then a 65 Falcon with a 200 six.

Everything could be worked on, no computers or anything other than what was needed.

Now I have what they call an "Island Beater", an old but dependable car with good gas mileage. I couldn't bring a car here, so it was a cash deal on CL. Sure beats monthly payments, wish I could find a classic like your Morris.

Was digging the morris, but looking forward to seeing the truck build.
Much more practical for me, shame though, I loved that Morris...
Already found a buyer for the Morris, good guy that already has 3 of them... :thumbsup:

Little trucks are awesome. They work just about as hard as I want to now...
I had a Nissan than ran and ran and was still running down the road as it rusted away leaving a trail of corrosion and unneeded bits of metal...

Carl.

That Morris sure is CUTE! However, I am also an avid Toyota and Nissan guy (in terms of modern vehicles). Love my Frontier! Look forward to seeing your Datsun 720 when it is finished!

How about some pics of the lil truckster?!

Little trucks are awesome. They work just about as hard as I want to now...
I had a Nissan than ran and ran and was still running down the road as it rusted away leaving a trail of corrosion and unneeded bits of metal...

Carl.
:21: Yep, that is the reason I sold my first 720, it worked hard though before it died, it was 4x4 and went everywhere the big boys did...
That Morris sure is CUTE! However, I am also an avid Toyota and Nissan guy (in terms of modern vehicles). Love my Frontier! Look forward to seeing your Datsun 720 when it is finished!

How about some pics of the lil truckster?!
Sure thing!
It is rough at the moment, but the lack of rust in the chassis and the fact it is an early extra cab makes it worth the effort.

smallIMG_20171127_093301062_HDR.jpg
smallIMG_20171127_093240801_HDR.jpg
smallIMG_20171127_093250733_HDR.jpg

Note the green moss carpet! :21:

Moss green carpet or green moss on the carpet...
I'd go for the former...
That bit of a rack will be nice for lengths of tubing too.
I gotta build me a rack soon.

Carl.

Latest posts

Back