Long BMXXX DONE!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Right now it's just a concept. I used a TALL Schwinn Traveler for the virtual "mockup" but I won't be cutting the Traveler up. I do have a similar Nishiki, but it's not here and I'm afraid it's not steel (I can't weld it if it's not steel) I do have a couple other frames and anything goes here except the Traveler... So here's the idea. Cut up a TALL diamond frame and reposition the tubes as a LONG BMX seems pretty straight forward to me, plus stretch the chain stays...
But it's always about the details...
BLU 001B1.jpg

BLU 001C1.jpg

So yeah 20" wheels and fork, I'm pretty sure I have a set of old mongoose mags. I'm hoping I can source some BMX parts to fill out the build.

Carl.

Last edited:
Cool idea Carl! This should be fun.
RaT oN~!

Are you planning on putting 20s and a crank? Lol that thing gonna be loooooowww n looooooonngggggg!

Yeah I have 20" parts littering my boneyard so fitting parts will be easy enough. Fork length and the angles at the BB will dictate. I want it LONG. I'd like some crank space for longer arms so we'll see what it takes. I'll be picking the Nishiki up tonight. I'm thinking it's lugged steel...

Carl.

Sent from the edge of an alternate universe...

Donor bike...
and the Nishiki which IS a lugged steel frame. Woohoo! Just for kicks the BMX frame seat stays are about 13" long and the Nishiki is 22". The top tubes are 18" vs 24" for the road bike. Eyeballing it I get about 20" added length, I might be able to get 2' we'll see... BB's are totally different so there's some chop shopping going on there too. Take your time, Mr Me, we've got 4 months ...
94b62ebaadea2a05f0cab9b2d4489de0.jpg
2aabfdd5c3a62961791336385a6bc766.jpg

There are plenty of factory 22" top tube bmx bikes...very few that reach 23". Should be an interesting looking ride, looking forward to the mock ups :thumbsup:.
Well the Nishiki has 22" SEAT STAYS and that's going to add some length as well as a 24" top tube. But get a good look at the seat stays... They are spindley and will likely require some vertical supports added too. Not to worry though it's only day 3.

Carl.

Last edited:
Started on the disassembly of the xgames BMX bike. Haha it's little 10 tooth cog and 26 tooth sprocket are so cute. Big chunky axles too, although I didn't care for the way the rear pegs doubled for the nuts to hold the wheel in the rear facing dropouts. Crank bolts got sprayed with power blaster. This thing sat outside for a year in the boneyard and who knows how long before I got it.
733a07ce7fb0c78c9b1b7d6c44c092e7.jpg
c9acfa61a60519e517d2c6d8449f0c38.jpg

Does anyone think that having the derailleur that close to the ground is a good idea? It's almost as though it was designed to be replaced when you smash it. On every ride.

Aside: for some reason, they call me a retro-grouch at the mtbr forum.

Oh and by the way @GuitarlCarl you did it - I can't stop asking myself why your thread is not narrated by Merle :21:
Ha! He'll be back around I'm sure as the alter ego who tells bad jokes and teases the other builders...

Carl.

Does anyone think that having the derailleur that close to the ground is a good idea? It's almost as though it was designed to be replaced when you smash it. On every ride.

Aside: for some reason, they call me a retro-grouch at the mtbr forum.
ah... what derailleur? You are looking at parts bikes on day 4 of a four month build... Slow down bro you're commenting on a bike you posted on someones else's build thread that has nothing to do with their build. And whats a mtbr? Ain't no meetburrs around here.

Merle.

Carl, I wouldn't dream of criticism... I have tons of respect for you and your process. I was going on about the single chainring/huge cartridge thing in mountain biking. MTBR is another forum I visit, where they are obsessed with the "latest and greatest" tech. Sorry I hijacked your thread, extremely sorry I gave you the impression I didn't approve of your work.

Carl, I wouldn't dream of criticism... I have tons of respect for you and your process. I was going on about the single chainring/huge cartridge thing in mountain biking. MTBR is another forum I visit, where they are obsessed with the "latest and greatest" tech. Sorry I hijacked your thread, extremely sorry I gave you the impression I didn't approve of your work.
Ha! I didn't take it as criticism, I (Merle) was just giving you a hard time for the hijack. I PM folks if I have a problem rather than airing it. In fact my threads are rarely serious, usually off center and occasionally irrelevant on their own. I mean really, they're just bicycles and who else has an alter ego that posts on their threads?

Carl.

Latest posts

Back