Little red rider(finished)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built an oldskool bike for my young boy which took way too long and is too small but now he wants me to build a second one from a new frame even tho it is too small as well but Im up to it

a 16" occ chopper fork would look good on there !

yer was thinking along those lines but limited here in NZ plus on tight budget,theres a few on our auction site Trademe and alot of Big Mo's which are similar but people still want $250/$300 even for rusty ones,not worth it at that price,but sometimes you get a good deal like the Norco Launch VPS dh frame and fox shock for $30 I scored yesterday :)

too bad you don't live here sometimes the swap meets are a good place to find what you need & not always super high prices

too bad you don't live here sometimes the swap meets are a good place to find what you need & not always super high prices
yer being at the bottom of the world has its limits,there are a few 60's schwinns around but command a really high price,there are heaps of 50's-70's english/euro bikes from when immagrants came over and brought their bikes and alot go for $1 reserve auctions BUT I live at the top of the north island and most of the bikes are at the bottom of the island or in the south island,freight is around $80 min and $130 from s/island so you can see my $1 dollar bike becomes crazy dollars,there is a company here that imports and restores mainly u.s bikes but price tags are around $1400 retail

built it up to rideable stage,as you can see by the tyre's my boy has taken it for a ride through the muddy grass "stay on the concrete" must have fallen on deaf ears,we went down to the local store him on the new build and me on my "Poison Ivy" bike and my older son on his bright green full susser,people liked checkin out the bikes'was a good day
time to paint the forks and may use the v brake tabs for something,maybe a number plate

Love these type of builds, cool little bike out of next to nothing, budget
building with what ya got that's cool. I have mounted a head light on
those brake mounts, on one of my lowriders I fitted a cut up front
sprocket across the mounts not for practical reasons just for looks.
A number plate with his name on it would be cool.

Love these type of builds, cool little bike out of next to nothing, budget
building with what ya got that's cool. I have mounted a head light on
those brake mounts, on one of my lowriders I fitted a cut up front
sprocket across the mounts not for practical reasons just for looks.
A number plate with his name on it would be cool.
I like the sprocket idea,I have seen it done,think I will go with that idea,may redo the original seat (not the one on it now) as it bolted to the sissy bar

so 17 (budget) drill bits later and the holes were done,forks are painted and drying then to chuck em on,may change the stem,I know it was a quik cheap build for my boy til we build his lowrider(next build)but the stem makes it look cheap or maybe I just dont like those stems,might put an old road bike stem on it which should give it a level and slicker look
the cog was previously heated to give it the colored look which you can just see in the pic

Some sprockets are pretty hard anyway, but you say it had been previously heated, it may have been made even harder, not surprised you went through so many cheap drill bits!

Looks good!

Luke.

Some sprockets are pretty hard anyway, but you say it had been previously heated, it may have been made even harder, not surprised you went through so many cheap drill bits!

Looks good!

Luke.
yer its from a high end shimano cassette so already super hardened steel plus my blowtorch heating as you say would do it more,I have a torch that fits in the center of the cog just right so may put it in

My boy loves it the way it is so the stem stays so this build is done :)
LittleRedRider_zps36f7797d.jpg

Latest posts

Back