Little Red Express Trike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found a trike on craigslist that someone had butchered and tried to lowrider with all the twisted metal. Frame was made out of 4 pieces of half inch rod twisted together... heavy as all get out.
IMGP4654.jpg

I figure this fits in this new forum. Anyone remember the Dodge Little Red Express trucks? Thats kind of what is rattling around in my brain while I build this one.
1978_LittleRedExpressFlyer_Front.jpg

Drew this up so I had something to go off of and went to work.
IMGP4657.jpg

I think the biggest pain will be getting the rear hubs laced up into 24" wheels and the new bearings pressed in. The picture hints at the future for this trike.
IMGP4671.jpg

Got alot of work done on the frame the first day. I think this one may come together a little fast.
IMGP4674.jpg

Tomorrow I need to fit the "seat stays" and the pan for the bed... Then it will be time for final welding.
IMGP4679.jpg

The radio flyer will be shortened and widened and also have stake pockets welded on. I also have a rear bumper in the works but I have to figure out how I'm going to mount it.
IMGP4677.jpg

I think I'm going to make the seat height adjustable on this particular ride. Tip the seat post enough so that it helps short people reach.
IMGP4678.jpg

sweet theme !!! i had a green dodge warlock but always wished it was an express, still love those trucks just cant afford the gas :lol: ill be watching this build for sure !!!

with regular bike fenders outside the wagon, u could really get the stepside look. then a red reflector on each side to mimic the dodges taillights. u could even make a functional tailgate, with the latches could be made from bike chain. this will be a cool build to watch!

"little green express" just didnt have the same ring to it i guess :lol: the truck was about 20 years old when i had it so the only wood on the truck was in the bed floor at that time. i never made any bed extensions for it either. the exhaust stacks and wood bedsides were what i envied on the express.

would bee cool to see some kind of chrome rocker type exhaust on each side of the wagon bed with some turnouts. im sure whatever you come up with will be drool worthy though :)

I see that rotor and it reminds me
i got stainless cnc rotor adapters i machined to bolt that onto your axle

email me if interested

nice work!

here's the disc adapter and freewheel adapters i make

all cnc stainless (i live in rustland ..everything is ss)
also got stainless replacement axles stock and 5" over if you wanna widen her

Bike is looking sweet! I'm surprised no one's asked: What's that white VW behind it? Looks like some kinda amphibious military Thing! -Adam

Rustinkerer said:
Bike is looking sweet! I'm surprised no one's asked: What's that white VW behind it? Looks like some kinda amphibious military Thing! -Adam
Thing is right . . . type 181.

If I remember correctly, the L.R.E.s were the fastest U.S. production vehicle for at least one year. It could even shut-down the Vette. Seems that smog equiptment choked the life out of all the cars, but light trucks were not affected yet, so the Dodge 360 in those Little Red Trucks really hauled!

Oh, what I meant to say is, COOL trike! :wink:

Cool build! Looks like a nice shop too. It's not every day I see and Iltis used as a workbench ; ) I've been known to stack junk on my VW Thing from time to time too. Does that thing run? Jon

Latest posts

Back