lets see those old school / custom shifters.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Installing the three speed on my Spoiler was a challenge. It took some assistance from some of the good folks over at the Schwinn forum, notably Wayne, and Chopperguy. With their advice, plus the donation of a pair of anti-rotation washers, I was able to get the hub fitted properly in the frame. The shifter was another problem. I wanted the suicide shift mount, but I did not want to have to weld, or drill the frame. After weeks of brainstorming, the idea finally popped into my head. I made a backing plate to fit between the chainguard and the frame, and drilled for four bolts to clamp the shifter mount in place. Materials- some 3mm aluminum plate that I suspect came from a road sign, and the steel ring that might have been a mount for a garbage disposall- I'm still not sure. The rest was hacksaw file and drill. Primitive Pete engineering, for sure, but- hey, it works.

PICT0006.JPG

PICT0001.JPG

PICT0009.JPG

Next project is the sissy bar. I'm stuck again, because what I want to build takes welding, and tube bending. But who knows- I may get another flash of inspiration.

JWM

not sure if any pictures on this thread include this.....but a lot of these i've seen include chrome/metal housings just off the shift that allow for a quick and sharp bend. The closest thing ive found online are brake cable noodles. Is that what these are or am i missing the right name?

This thread deserves to be percolated back up to the top.
There are some cool shifters out there.

This bike is sick!!!
Looks like the shifter is just like the ones that I have except it doesn't have an overload tube.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=51464&hilit=+shifters

ohchusan said:
here's mine.
bombshelterbikes over at freakbike nation gave this 5 sp shimano to me and i added the sparco gearknob for added bling! haha
3207304581_efcda7cf87_b.jpg

3194746993_4e628bd248_b.jpg

shimano stem clamp mounted on seatpost with one side taken off.. had to rig a smooth cable guide at the bb though, this was for the rear deraileur

563279_428485427166577_100000153715445_1882021_895285202_n.jpg

Tons of cool ideas and inspiration here.
Hoping to add my BO7 shifter later on.

Latest posts

Back