lets see those old school / custom shifters.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
some of these aren't done, but i think they should work.

don't have a detail pic of this one. a bike i gave to one of my nephews. shimano 5speed stick with a piece of handlebar added for reach
Picture024.jpg

a three speed twist grip with a piece of aluminum added to make it a stick. an idea i got from another forum
Picture111.jpg

a suntour 5 speed i just put on my main cruiser over the weekend
Picture106.jpg

a 5 speed shifter on my muscle bike project. nothing special about it. i'm just showing it to show where the next two came from
Picture110.jpg

twin shifters on my touring/chopper/recumbent/whatzit project. made from two of the previously shown shifter. it's pretty ugly on the frame from where i cobbled it together so the fake gas tank is like a big shifter console
Picture108.jpg

twin shifters again, but one is backward. the shifter is under the seat so one goes back to the rear wheel and one goes forward to the front chain ring. i was thinking about trying to find some "smile now, cry later heads for it, but i think i have an idea i like better. we'll see
Picture109.jpg

The frankenshifter on my bbo project, made up of a bar shifter, part of a furniture hinge, tubing from a baby swing, and an actual mini cooper shifter. Not quite complete yet, need to come up with a cool index button.
shifterside.jpg

Rick

Here is my 4 speed suicide shifter, still a work in progress:

P1020642-1.jpg

I broke the original Nexus 4 speed and couldn't find a replacement anywhere so I had to build one. The lever is made from an old Ikea shelf-unit brace with a ceramic insulator on the end. It attaches to the chain guard tab and pulls the cable that goes to the rear hub.

P1020645.jpg

I made the gear 'indexer' out a piece of aluminium stock:

P1020650.jpg

I will eventually run the cable more directly using some SS brake line, once I found a place that will sell me a 2' section :)

This is the jockey shifter I made for my first chopper many moons ago (viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10989). Excuse the poor photography...

8723_173646808791_561043791_3780610_6582385_n.jpg

It's a cut down (Shimano?) 3 speed grip shift with an internal sleeve for strength, end of the shift lever is tapped for a bolt, and the whole thing is clamped to a stub welded to the seat tube as it would normally clamp to a handle bar. It worked beautifully! Nothing like cruising along and slappin it through the gears...

Almost forgot this thing. Electric shifter built from a lumbar seat actuator. Left button on handlebar is downshift, right is upshift.

shft2.jpg

shft1.jpg

Here's a bump on an old thread. I got a glass eye from my eye doctor when I built this bike about 15 years ago. She'll get a refresh this winter but the shifter will remain!
DSC00855.jpg
[/img]

Sure am glad ya dug this one up, Tonnes of killa shifters i missed the first few times round.

Thx

bigblockthing said:
thats really clean..do you have some closer pics of the shifter itself?

oh, and i just realized i never posted closeups of my shifter so here you go. . .

6916_1220286233434_1417260048_30635.jpg

09182009512.jpg

I'd add some fake blood on the blade edge and grip for that authentic look!

Latest posts

Back