Lets see some street sweeper fenders

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cd778fbe939322e87f6f7b6a661b9734.jpg
85a91a5e2d6521f7f56b458fdf5b1ef5.jpg
Finished up the fender on the '51 today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, where does one find street sweeper fenders? Or do you have to make them?
Ive seen folks using two fenders, [maybe a front and a back] and riveting them together at their longest point and reattaching. [you could probably weld them together with similar or better success in the long run] To do it simply though, Like Pedal said.. get a good long back fender and drop it back until mounting becomes questionable..then affix it how you see fit. Ive done that exact method recently, unfortunately I have a bobbed back fender, so mine isnt sweeping, its medium length now, at best, which is a shame.

Hey RandytheRat, may I ask your technique for painting the chrome? I have done a few different methods and haven't been completely satisfied... Thanks!
just a tip I read from somewhere else.. roughing up the metal some, to give it more a rough to the touch feel will help the paint stick, I've read. [Dont know how rare or attacked you are to your fenders, but its a thought. Id seek other methods..] -Maybe Latex Paint?-

Hey RandytheRat, may I ask your technique for painting the chrome? I have done a few different methods and haven't been completely satisfied... Thanks!
There are a couple of good methods. Rough them up like zombie said above. Then use etching primer. I've done this and it works ok. Also there is a product called Bulldog. It promotes adhesion of paint. It is expensive, but works great. Seems like it was $17 a can at the paint shop. It is clear and sprays on. Use it on the sanded chrome before priming and you'll have better results. But if you use Bulldog, use regular primer. The chemicals in the etching primer that actually do the etching tend to lift other paints and will mess up the Bulldog. I used it to paint some chrome wheels white. The paintjob really lasted. It got scratched eventually, but the paint endured tire changes, etc.

Not wanting to start a new thread here, but awhile back I was given two chrome rear fenders that I want to make street sweepers out of for my Schwinn cruiser. One of them has braces on it to attach to the frame and the other one doesn't.

I would like to know if anybody here has any ideas to fender braces. I was thinking of getting copper tubing and crimping the ends and drilling a hole to mount to the frame. The fenders will be heavily modified, anyway. Is copper strong enough? I can't seem to find any metal strips at the hardware stores. My Schwinn has 700c wheels instead of the normal 26".

Not wanting to start a new thread here, but awhile back I was given two chrome rear fenders that I want to make street sweepers out of for my Schwinn cruiser. One of them has braces on it to attach to the frame and the other one doesn't.

I would like to know if anybody here has any ideas to fender braces. I was thinking of getting copper tubing and crimping the ends and drilling a hole to mount to the frame. The fenders will be heavily modified, anyway. Is copper strong enough? I can't seem to find any metal strips at the hardware stores. My Schwinn has 700c wheels instead of the normal 26".
Should work I would think. Aluminium might be cheaper?

Latest posts

Back